Senior Staff flight time at powered flight academies?

Started by crowned219, February 07, 2011, 01:20:46 AM

crowned219

Hi--I found http://ncsas.com/, which has a bunch of powered flight academies for cadets.  I don't see any information whatsoever about senior members; indeed, on the sign-up in eServices it says only cadets are eligible.

Is it possible for a Senior member to get flight time in any of the staff positions?  Perhaps if they worked mornings and evenings and then took part in the ground-school and flight instruction.  Any thoughts much appreciated.

davidsinn

Quote from: crowned219 on February 07, 2011, 01:20:46 AMHi--I found http://ncsas.com/, which has a bunch of powered flight academies for cadets.  I don't see any information whatsoever about senior members; indeed, on the sign-up in eServices it says only cadets are eligible.

Is it possible for a Senior member to get flight time in any of the staff positions?  Perhaps if they worked mornings and evenings and then took part in the ground-school and flight instruction.  Any thoughts much appreciated.

It takes an act of [deity of your choice] for a senior member to get primary flight instruction through CAP. I don't know if it would be possible at one of the flight academies. I would doubt it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Yep - these are cadet training activities and the seniors are focused on making that happen, not getting their own training.

In most cases every flight slot and hour is accounted for with nothing "extra" to give to seniors even if it was an option.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Senior members can't get primary flight training (training leading up to your private pilot certificate) in CAP powered aircraft (without a waiver from I think executive director --a waiver which you are not going to get)

However senior members *can* take instruction toward a primary in CAP glider.
That said, I expect that all of the available flights at GFA are probably going to cadets...

Now getting a ride (not instruction) on board an aircraft at one of these might be closer to the realm of possibility, but I wouldn't think of it as a sure thing.

Quote from: CAPR 60-1
2-8. Pilot Training.
a. CAP cadets and qualified SAR/DR mission pilots are authorized to use CAP airplanes  for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.CAPR 60-1

b. All CAP members are authorized to use CAP gliders for flight instruction toward any FAA certificate or rating.

c. CAP senior members that are not current SAR/DR mission pilots must obtain permission to receive flight instruction in CAP airplanes toward FAA certificates or ratings as  follows:

(1) Senior members who hold a Private Pilot Airplane Certificate or higher and have been an active CAP member for at least 1 year – Wing commander written permission.

(2) All other senior members – Written permission from the wing commander, region commander and the CAP Executive Director is required and may be granted provided the members lives more than two hours driving time from a commercial training facility.

d. Self conducted proficiency flight guidelines are available for use by all CAP pilots to maintain currency and improve pilot confidence.  These recommended guidelines are located on the NHQ CAP/DOV website.

e. Additional mission pilot training flights are authorized under mission pilot proficiency flight profiles located on the NHQ CAP/DOV website.  These training flights are Air Force assigned non-reimbursed missions authorized by the State Director, and may be flown only by pilots holding the qualifications stated in the specific profile.

crowned219

Okay then!  I think I'll bow out gracefully from this one.  Are senior members eligible for flight scholarships?  It says on the website they are, but I can't find the link in eServices for where I can apply for one.  Thanks.

Eclipse

Quote from: crowned219 on February 07, 2011, 02:35:33 AM
Okay then!  I think I'll bow out gracefully from this one.  Are senior members eligible for flight scholarships?  It says on the website they are, but I can't find the link in eServices for where I can apply for one.  Thanks.

Very rarely and in only special circumstances.  Once in a while you will see a company or school donate initial training
specifically for adults, but that is few and far between.

I think I have seen one or two in 11 years.

"That Others May Zoom"