Flying outside my wing?

Started by cap801, December 05, 2010, 06:32:11 PM

cap801

My membership is with New Mexico wing, but I go to college in Indiana.  I would like to be able to remain active in CAP while I'm at school.  I have a current Form 5 in a 182 in NM.  What would I need to do to be able to fly with a unit in Indiana?  I would think I just need to take another Form 5 with one of their check pilots.  Do I need another Form 91 as well?

Also, last I heard, the South Bend squadron didn't have an airplane, and my closest option is in Plymouth.  Could anyone from Indiana tell me if that's correct?

davidsinn

Quote from: jayburns22 on December 05, 2010, 06:32:11 PM
My membership is with New Mexico wing, but I go to college in Indiana.  I would like to be able to remain active in CAP while I'm at school.  I have a current Form 5 in a 182 in NM.  What would I need to do to be able to fly with a unit in Indiana?  I would think I just need to take another Form 5 with one of their check pilots.  Do I need another Form 91 as well?

Also, last I heard, the South Bend squadron didn't have an airplane, and my closest option is in Plymouth.  Could anyone from Indiana tell me if that's correct?

I'm from Plymouth. What school are you at?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

If you have a current 5 and 91 you should not haver to repeat it in another wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: CAPR 60-1 Section 2-6, Para. A, 5-Jan-2009a.   Wing or higher commanders may require re-evaluation of CAP pilots transferring into their respective commands. Also, members wishing to take a CAPF 5 flight evaluation in a wing other than his/her assigned wing must obtain approval from the wing standardization and evaluation (Stan/Eval) officer of the wing to which the member is assigned.

It's subjective... IOW, you need to start with the unit that has the aircraft you want to fly, and see what they do. After all, they have to give you the key/access..

One Wing admin may require more than the other for transient/plant pilots.

cap801

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2010, 06:56:30 PM

Notre Dame.  Both of my roommates have cars, so I presumably have a way to get down there.  When are your meetings?

davidsinn

Quote from: jayburns22 on December 05, 2010, 07:42:41 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2010, 06:56:30 PM

Notre Dame.  Both of my roommates have cars, so I presumably have a way to get down there.  When are your meetings?

Thursday nights, 1845 eastern time at Plymouth Muni. airport (C65). If you wish to visit just let me know and I'll ensure someone is at the door to let you in because even though the FBO is 24hr the door is locked and keycoded. Being a pilot you shouldn't have a problem with the code though. The instructions are posted on the door.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2010, 07:50:50 PMBeing a pilot you shouldn't have a problem with the code though. The instructions are posted on the door.
I love that kind of stuff. Hidden in blatant plain sight. :)

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on December 05, 2010, 08:31:36 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2010, 07:50:50 PMBeing a pilot you shouldn't have a problem with the code though. The instructions are posted on the door.
I love that kind of stuff. Hidden in blatant plain sight. :)

You have no idea how blatant it is... ;) Fact is it's a 24hr FBO that is unmanned at night so they allow you to use the can or microwave, check weather that kind of stuff but don't want Joe Public coming in. If you're ever flying across Northern Indiana it's a nice place to drop in.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Good reason to carry a dental mirror in your GT / UDF kit

sparks

You flight status will depend on whether the Indiana wing commander decides to accept your CAPF 5/91 from you home wing.  As a minimum I would have you do a familiarization flight in the local area.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: phirons on December 05, 2010, 08:59:32 PM

Or just call the tower... I wouldn't be caught dead on an airfield without tower (ground)/airport authority (cops)/other responsible party knowing I'm there and granting me access (because in a post 9/11 society that might be how I ended up if caught - dead).

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 05, 2010, 10:46:16 PM

Or just call the tower... I wouldn't be caught dead on an airfield without tower (ground)/airport authority (cops)/other responsible party knowing I'm there and granting me access (because in a post 9/11 society that might be how I ended up if caught - dead).

I think you are all misunderstanding. In the facilities books C65 is listed as 24hr. The instructions on how to get in the door are posted plainly but the critical piece of info you need to use is usually only known to a pilot. It's kind of like a riddle. We use the code more than a dozen times a night when we have meetings. Our HQ is in the FBO conference room.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: davidsinn on December 05, 2010, 11:02:51 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on December 05, 2010, 10:46:16 PM

I think you are all misunderstanding. In the facilities books C65 is listed as 24hr. The instructions on how to get in the door are posted plainly but the critical piece of info you need to use is usually only known to a pilot. It's kind of like a riddle. We use the code more than a dozen times a night when we have meetings. Our HQ is in the FBO conference room.

I knew what you meant. I was speaking directly in response to phiron's idea that our GT/UDFTs should be using dental mirrors to gain access to airports.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Eclipse on December 05, 2010, 07:10:51 PM
If you have a current 5 and 91 you should not haver to repeat it in another wing.

Not entirely true.  In CAWG, you have to retake your Form 5 and Form 91 if you have one from another state.  I dunno.....maybe planes fly differently in CA?  I think one of the maneuvers is flying through the rad tape CA has strung across it!!!

So much for the whole standardized training thing CAP brags about.

BlueLakes1

Jay, I sent you a PM, I think. If that didn't work, PM me with your phone number and we can talk shop about IN WG flight ops.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

sdcapmx

It is addressed in CAPR 60-1.  The CAPR 60-1 wing supplement for the state you are relocating to may also address this.  Since you are in touch with an IN wing member you should already have your answer.