Main Menu

The Texas Thread

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 10:09:53 PM

Major Carrales

Quote from: dogden on January 31, 2007, 05:57:45 PM
PAO? ummm thats the other Ogden.....
My wife is my PAO, Jack of All trades, etc.

Ooops...

Sorry.  ;D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Spogden

You got that right...

QuoteMy wife is ... Jack of All trades, etc.

Now shouldn't all CCs say that about thier wives...

carnold1836

Just out of curiosity, Sherra, do you have much experience in the cadet program? The only reason I ask is that STEP might be a great way to get up to speed on what is going on and if you have plenty of experience with cadets, you knowledge would be greatly appreciated there as well. It is a great avenue for opening up dialog between different folks from around the state.

Also if you have any cadets that are just starting, an ALS is a great way to get them kick started. I know there is an ALS coming up soon in Houston, Dennis has the info on that. My squadron is also hosting one her in Austin at Camp Mabry. We are going to have tons of room, up wards of handling around 25 female cadets and 60 male cadets, as well as enough room for chaperoning seniors.

Either way good luck on the getting TX444 up and shining soon.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Spogden

I'm not completely sure that post was suppose to be directed a me and not my husband, Maj Ogden. But I'm going to reply anyways. While my tenure in CAP has been short, most of my time has been spent with the Cadets. I have much more to learn, as I don't think i will ever completely know everything there is to know about Cadets and the cadet program.

That being said, we are familiar with Texas Wing and what it has to offer. We were from the Texas Wing prior to our relocation to Utah.

Now my question is this...what are the advantaces in attending STEP over the TLC?

carnold1836

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I believe STEP = TLC in TXWG. I attended STEP last fall and have my TLC requirement checked off for my senior rating in cadet programs.

So it might be the same program and we call it something else down here or it takes the basics of TLC and adds to it or it could be something completely different and we still get TLC credit for it. I'm not really sure.

I do know that is a lot of fun meeting everyone and sharing information. Well worth the price of addmission in my opinion.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: carnold1836 on January 31, 2007, 07:40:53 PM
Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I believe STEP = TLC in TXWG. I attended STEP last fall and have my TLC requirement checked off for my senior rating in cadet programs.

So it might be the same program and we call it something else down here or it takes the basics of TLC and adds to it or it could be something completely different and we still get TLC credit for it. I'm not really sure.

I do know that is a lot of fun meeting everyone and sharing information. Well worth the price of addmission in my opinion.

You're right on the money, Chris. STEP is TLC as it is done in the Great Republic of Texas.

Applying for STEP staff this spring.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

Quote from: dogden on January 31, 2007, 05:28:25 PM
Those pesky CC's, what can you do with them. ;) Seems that in my time as a CAP member the senior program is a flying club, support for the cadet program/admin/hangar flying or have a separate healthy program. The healthy program is a site to behold, we had opening and closing together but two separate completely programs. When the cadets needed something, a senior would slide to the next classroom at the request of the deputy commander for cadets, but the senior program continued.  There were a few times that we would get together as a squadron for events and training. Overall it worked pretty well, the unit is the 2006 squadron of the year.

I would love to get TX444 to that point but we have a long road to get us there. With our squadron meeting less than a mile from KIAH I would think we would have quite a few aviation oriented seniors at the squadron but we don't. I think the deficiency is getting the name out to the public.
Right, exactly. That's how it was when I joined, and I have to admit I thought the Sq was cluster at that time, but re-creating it is a bit of a challenge. I really don't know how to get started. I'd like to just put it on the CC, but that's not actually going to work. I'm not real sure how to pull all this together. Hell, I'll go start a new thread on it, that makes more sense.

STEP... includes the content from TLC, but goes much further in a process where we make it our own. I might apply for staff on that as well, ot just CTEP steaff & make sure they credit me for it, have to talk to Maj Sutton about that. Don't know what's up w/ the Iowa crew at this point, but I did plan on tour guiding them. Anyway, STEP is a great program for entry level (sub-senior rating) cadet programs officers. I liked it a lot, but some of the content was less than interesting after years & years & years in cadet programs. I already had the rating so didn't need TLC, just wanted to update my knowledge after being out a couple years, and by the time the date came around I'd pretty well already done that by necessity of my local duties.

dogden

I will probably attend a STEP at some point but considering I was going to be the course director of a TLC in Utah, I have to fight the mentality knowing all of the stuff already. I feel strongly about Professional Development so I will go and try to get as much new information as I can. I also think PD courses are a great opportunity to network with those people outside of the local area.
David C Ogden, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing, Group IV Commander
GRW#3325

carnold1836

I will be there as well as STEP/CTEP staff. Heck it literally is in my backyard being at Mabry. Glad to see y'all coming back and hope to see more of those from last fall as well.

Spogden

Do we have dates for the Spring STEP?

carnold1836

30 MAR - 1 APR at Camp Mabry Austin.

If someone hasn't already posted the notice from TexasCadet.org yahoo group by the time I get home I will get it up here.

Spogden

Thank you. I found it.

23-25 Mar 2007 is the correct date though

carnold1836

Yeah I was basing that off of the TexasCadet.org calendar. I guess they haven't updated it just yet.

DNall

their website has been screwed for a week or so. Supposed to be taken care of shortly.

Quote from: dogden on January 31, 2007, 08:51:13 PM
I will probably attend a STEP at some point but considering I was going to be the course director of a TLC in Utah, I have to fight the mentality knowing all of the stuff already. I feel strongly about Professional Development so I will go and try to get as much new information as I can. I also think PD courses are a great opportunity to network with those people outside of the local area.

This one is particularly true of that as it's all cadet programs officers

AlphaSigOU

Bringing it back to the top...
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Later today I plan on getting the answer to this to post here and I have PMed several Texans on this matter. 

En re Hotel Reservations for the Wing Conference are we to make the HOTEL reservations with the Hotel or with the Project Officers?  I say this because on the flier it says to "log on" or call a given number...but on the website it says not to call the property because they will not know certain things.

I will make the call later after work...but if anyone knows or can relay the info.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Yeah I don't know, I'm not going to conf. Usually the deal is there's a code or group name you're supposed to mention with the hotel res people to get the discount & in our block of rooms. They may be doing the reservations via your conf registration, but I don't know. Just email the Kings & find out straight from the horse's mouth.

Spogden

Who is going to conference??

PSutton

I registered for the Wing Conference about a week ago.  I sent the registration form and money to Lt Col King and then I called the hotel to make a reservation.  I hope to see some of you there!!
Phyllis Sutton, Maj, CAP
Texas Wing Director of Cadet Programs

AlphaSigOU

Welcome aboard, Phyllis!
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040