Pineville, LA CAP plane crash

Started by DakRadz, November 11, 2010, 01:22:29 AM

jimmydeanno

This happened down in my neck of the woodsish.  The plane just had an engine rebuild.  The accident wasn't the fault of a CAP pilot or part of a CAP mission. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DakRadz

Good. I was hoping that was the case; it said the plane quit during takeoff, so I had hopes that it wasn't negligence on CAP's part.

a2capt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 11, 2010, 01:28:57 AMThis happened down in my neck of the woodsish.
Are you referring to this incident, or a similar one?

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

Heck of a place to come to rest.  I'm surprised he didn't have a more damaging landing having gone down in a culvert like that.  The prop is doing a mighty fine impression of a banana though.

Eclipse

Hmm...still has the seal on the tail and nothing on the doors.

He's probably going to have to do a 78 on this.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Look at all those obstacles nearby. This could have had a totally different outcome.

jimmydeanno

If you look at a map of the Pineville Municipal Airport in Louisiana, the plane came to rest about 1/4 mile north of the runway along the railroad tracks, pretty close to where "X" marks the spot.  So, apparently, the test drive didn't go so well.

a2capt

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 11, 2010, 01:58:29 AMThis one.  Same wing.
The reason I asked.. NH is a bit far from LA.. Guess the 'profile' is 'wrong' ;)

vento

I know that one of the reporter said this was a CAP airplane, but the markings are all wrong and I don't know how it would pass a vehicle (aircraft) inspection where the safety officer checks for proper decal and markings on the doors, tails, etc.

Are we sure this is not an ex-CAP airplane sold to and now owned by an individual?
The closest CAP squadron from that airport is 7 miles from it and it is the CENTRAL LOUISIANA COMPOSITE SQDN
Unit Contact: Capt Matthew F Ellis
Contact Phone: (318) 793-4231
Contact e-mail: 
Meeting Address: SURROGATE PREDATOR BUILDING AT AEX

The next two closest squadrons are 77 and 81 miles away respectively.
I am just curious...

Eclipse

The tail number indicated in the FAA prelim report says it is a 1986 172P owned by CAP.

The LAWG webpage says it is assigned to the Acadia-Jeff Davis Parish Senior Squadron at Jennings Airport.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: vento on November 11, 2010, 04:15:22 PM
I know that one of the reporter said this was a CAP airplane, but the markings are all wrong and I don't know how it would pass a vehicle (aircraft) inspection where the safety officer checks for proper decal and markings on the doors, tails, etc.
We would have peeled off all the decals before selling it. 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: a2capt on November 11, 2010, 07:50:56 AM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 11, 2010, 01:58:29 AMThis one.  Same wing.
The reason I asked.. NH is a bit far from LA.. Guess the 'profile' is 'wrong' ;)

He.  I moved a few months back, forgot to change that block.  My bad :)

jimmydeanno

Are we sure this is not an ex-CAP airplane sold to and now owned by an individual?
The closest CAP squadron from that airport is 7 miles from it and it is the CENTRAL LOUISIANA COMPOSITE SQDN
Contact e-mail: 

I am just curious...

It was a CAP airplane that was at Pineville for an engine swap and coincidentally, just got new paint.  Maybe they didn't put the decals on yet.  Either way, it is (was?) most assuredly a CAP airplane.  Apparently, something went wrong with the engine swap and the guy flying it on the test flight had engine failure - stayed a bit far outside the pattern and couldn't make it back to the runway, instead landing near the railroad tracks at the north end.

vento

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 11, 2010, 06:18:41 PM

Contact e-mail: 

I am just curious...

It was a CAP airplane that was at Pineville for an engine swap and coincidentally, just got new paint.  Maybe they didn't put the decals on yet.  Either way, it is (was?) most assuredly a CAP airplane.  Apparently, something went wrong with the engine swap and the guy flying it on the test flight had engine failure - stayed a bit far outside the pattern and couldn't make it back to the runway, instead landing near the railroad tracks at the north end.

Thanks jimmydeanno for the insight. It was odd to see a CAP plane without the proper decals.

a2capt

[smg id=307]

It came to the club I was associated with with the 'CAP' on the top of the wings still, but the rest was peeled off.  Apparently whoever was to do it back when was too short, or too lazy to get a ladder ;)

Ended up sitting next to the prior aircraft manager of it at PCR RSC.