Video of aircraft landing on highway

Started by Major Lord, November 10, 2010, 01:19:45 PM

Major Lord

http://www.urlesque.com/2010/11/09/amazing-video-of-emergency-plane-landing-on-highway/

What luck that they had a video camera running in the airplane....A suspicious person might wonder. Good landing though!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Rescue826

The guy flying to Lakeland was actually arrested!
He made it to Sun N Fun, and was later questioned by police... He admited that it was a hoax so he could be 'cool'.

I actually responded to this call with the Fire Dept when it was first toned out as a  "Plane crash on the highway" and everybody and thier brother responded.

a2capt

A quick search of "Havendale landing arrested" substituting a few words around, I could not find anything about an arrest in the news. As viral as that went, the outcome seems to have just been buried or gone un-noticed at all.

But .. one does have to wonder, with professional-like camera rigging set up.. and the times when it did start again, certainly do lead to suspicion. If you want to land on a road, go visit Alaska. .. or rural KS ;-)

There's one place on SE KS that several people told me about over the years, the fuel is at a filling station on the road to the airport and you have to taxi to it. The name escapes me right now, but I want to say Manhattan, but I don't think so. I wanted to do that myself, just for the photo op. Instead I visited Moscow, KS and taxi'ed to a friends front yard.

DG

You can see in the video, they are turning the engine on and off manually.

Flying Pig

I can think of a list of charges those two idiots should be booked on if it was a hoax.

Major Lord

Quote from: Flying Pig on November 12, 2010, 06:09:06 PM
I can think of a list of charges those two idiots should be booked on if it was a hoax.

How about "Contempt of CAP"? A good beating and lifetime forfeiture of their license would be the appropriate punishment.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

PhotogPilot

Quote from: DG on November 12, 2010, 03:45:16 PM
You can see in the video, they are turning the engine on and off manually.

I have only seen the video on my iPhone, but it looks more like
the pilot is attempting a restart to me. I was sitting in Whataburger when I watched it, so did not get a good listen to the audio. If it was a hoax, the FSDO will probably sit him down for 180 days or so. If it was a legit emergency, he'll most likely be covered, but the FAA wil ask some hard questions, he'd better be ready to answer. About 6 months ago a J-3 lost power taking off from Boerne Stage airport, north of San Antonio, and landed on I-10. I heard the FAA gave him a pretty tough quizzing, like "why didn't you land on the median", but accepted his call that the highway was the best, safest option. We'll see what happens in this case.

Flying Pig

You can tell they are doing it.  Because nobody ever makes an attempt to restart.  He reaches over and turns the key back on and it fires right up good and strong.  Besides, if I read it correctly, they admitted to it being a hoax correct?

Pylon

A Fox News affiliate did a story on him and the landing after the fact.  He appeared to still be flying and instructing, so I'm guessing (at least at the time of the story) there were no adverse actions against him.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/video/American-Flying-Instructor-Kyle-Davis-Makes-Emergency-Landing-On-Road-In-Florida-US/Video/200904415267085?lpos=Latest+Video_5&lid=VIDEO_1878089_Plane+Lucky!+Pilot+Lands+On+Road&videoCategory=Latest+Video
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Flying Pig

Well from that interview it looks like its being treated as a real emergency. Just didnt look like it in the video.

N Harmon

I once had a problem with my motorcycle where it would run for a few seconds, then shut off. A few seconds later you could start it again, and it would run for a few seconds, then shut off.

It turned out to be a partially blocked fuel line. A small amount of fuel could get through, but not enough to keep the engine going. The engine was starting and running for short periods of time from the fuel that accumulated in the carburetor bowl.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

DakRadz

Quote from: N Harmon on December 04, 2010, 08:31:21 PM
I once had a problem with my motorcycle where it would run for a few seconds, then shut off. A few seconds later you could start it again, and it would run for a few seconds, then shut off.

It turned out to be a partially blocked fuel line. A small amount of fuel could get through, but not enough to keep the engine going. The engine was starting and running for short periods of time from the fuel that accumulated in the carburetor bowl.
My car did the same thing... The camshaft was the culprit. I was able to turn it on for a minute or so, every time I turned the key. Until the battery died. Also, if I revved it or tried to use the gas much at all, it would die. (P.S. this was before we realized the problem-       and the engine was shot anyway, so no lectures on how horrible that was to do ;D)

Mechanical failures aren't fun, but they certainly exist.