Member wearing Army Uniform/Insignia (Retired Vet)

Started by DBlair, October 20, 2010, 05:51:06 PM

DBlair

A newish (under 1 year) CAP member at a certain Cadet unit is retired Army and is serving as the unit's Leadership Officer. Please help me clarify whether these uniform issues are indeed allowed...

- He stated that as a retired vet, by law, he is allowed to wear his Army uniform whenever he wants- including CAP activities. His unit's Christmas party and Squadron Banquet are two of the places he wishes to wear his Army Class A uniform in place of a CAP service uniform and he mentioned that any CAP activity where a service coat would be appropriate, he will wear his Army Class A uniform.

- On his CAP service uniform blues shirt, he wears:
Combat Infantry Badge and Jump Wings (above ribbons), Pathfinder Badge (left pocket), and either his Air Assault Badge (right pocket) or his Gold-level Army Recruiter Badge (right pocket) ...on his BDUs, he wears blue/white versions of each of these in the same locations.

Please note that I am by no means attempting to discredit what he has accomplished in the Army, but rather just wanting clarification as to what is allowed in a CAP capacity and on a CAP uniform. There has been debate as to what is/is not allowed. Any help would be appreciated.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

lordmonar

By law he can wear what ever he wants.....but if he wants to particpate in CAP....he has to follow CAP rules.

Tell him to get a CAP uniform.

End of story.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ned

It'a not a question of law.  (FWIW, honorably retired vets can wear the uniform at appropriate occasions).

It's a question of CAP regs, which require the members wear the CAP uniform when conducting CP activities.

Having said that, and as a retired Army guy myself, I would cut him some slack and let him wear his Army uniform at things like the Christmas party.

But that's just me.

EMT-83

I have a retired Army captain who can be a challenge at times. Being constant with little things like hard rank gets old after a while. I usually resort to the importance of being correct in front of the cadets, which he does respect.

Krapenhoeffer

39-1 does have a list of Army badges that can be worn on the CAP uniform. However, there are limits as to how many he can wear, and where they go. And that CAP aviation badges take precedent over any other badge.
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

manfredvonrichthofen

He can wear what ever uniform he wants whenever he wants. He must however, as has been stated many times before on this post, conform to CAP regs. When attending CAP functions he must wear an appropriate CAP uniform within CAP regs. There is no other answer to this question. All that will be happening is beating a dead horse until it looks like it has been put through a blender. I don't even think he should wear his Army Class A uniform to the Christmas party/ball function, it is still a CAP function.

RiverAux

I personally wouldn't have any heartburn about those rare formal occassions like the christmas party or banquets as those are sort of in a gray area to me.  Especially if he has an Army uniform more formal than his best CAP uniform.  I'd think it a bit strange, but would tolerate it.  But, for day-to-day CAP business he needs to be in the CAP uniform. 

As to the badges, if 39-1 allows it, hes good to go.  If not, he needs to change or leave. 

A.Member

Quote from: DBlair on October 20, 2010, 05:51:06 PM
Please help me clarify whether these uniform issues are indeed allowed...

- He stated that as a retired vet, by law, he is allowed to wear his Army uniform whenever he wants- including CAP activities. His unit's Christmas party and Squadron Banquet are two of the places he wishes to wear his Army Class A uniform in place of a CAP service uniform and he mentioned that any CAP activity where a service coat would be appropriate, he will wear his Army Class A uniform.

- On his CAP service uniform blues shirt, he wears:
Combat Infantry Badge and Jump Wings (above ribbons), Pathfinder Badge (left pocket), and either his Air Assault Badge (right pocket) or his Gold-level Army Recruiter Badge (right pocket) ...on his BDUs, he wears blue/white versions of each of these in the same locations.
CAPR 39-1, Table 6-5 is your friend (and his)when it comes to the authorized badges.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DBlair

This wasn't so much an issue of the Christmas party, but rather if he can randomly opt to wear Army uniforms in place of CAP uniforms.

The bigger issue of debate is whether these Army badges can be worn on the pockets of the CAP uniforms, mainly the Air Assault and Pathfinder badges.

A.Member

Quote from: DBlair on October 20, 2010, 06:42:07 PM
This wasn't so much an issue of the Christmas party, but rather if he can randomly opt to wear Army uniforms in place of CAP uniforms.

The bigger issue of debate is whether these Army badges can be worn on the pockets of the CAP uniforms, mainly the Air Assault and Pathfinder badges.
Per my response above, Table 6-5 does allow for both of those badges - in the locations in which they would be worn on the Air Force uniform, not the Army uniform.   

It does not allow for the recruiter, however, National may still allow for it.   As instructed in 39-1, "before wearing any badge not listed in Table 6-5, contact National Headquarters/LMM for clarification."
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

Jump Wings are an aeronautical badge in the AF if Im not mistaken.

DBlair

Quote from: A.Member on October 20, 2010, 06:47:36 PM

Per my response above, Table 6-5 does allow for both of those badges - in the locations in which they would be worn on the Air Force uniform, not the Army uniform.   

It does not allow for the jump wings or the recruiter, however, National may still allow for it.   As instructed in 39-1, "before wearing any badge not listed in Table 6-5, contact National Headquarters/LMM for clarification."

While I could be wrong, I believe jump wings are classified as aeronautical badges.

Also, does anyone know if Pathfinder and Air Assault badges can be worn on the pocket, as per USAF wear policy?

Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to discredit what he has accomplished at all. Rather, this was a question asked of me last night, that I was not 100% sure regarding an answer.

A.Member

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 20, 2010, 06:56:13 PM
Jump Wings are an aeronautical badge in the AF if Im not mistaken.
That is correct (kind of) and a mistake on my part (corrected).  I believe the Army considers it an Aviation badge but the Air Force does not.  Thus it can be worn under the guise of other "US Military Aeronautical Badges".

AFI 36-2903 (page 139)

A.Member

Quote from: DBlair on October 20, 2010, 06:56:48 PM
Also, does anyone know if Pathfinder and Air Assault badges can be worn on the pocket, as per USAF wear policy?
They are allowed per CAP policy.  Again reference the Table 6-5 in the link I supplied earlier.

Major Lord

Other than for those working with Cadets directly, what regulation requires wearing a CAP uniform at CAP activities?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

A.Member

Quote from: Major Lord on October 20, 2010, 07:22:02 PM
Other than for those working with Cadets directly, what regulation requires wearing a CAP uniform at CAP activities?

Major Lord
39-1.

DBlair

Quote from: A.Member on October 20, 2010, 07:17:31 PM
They are allowed per CAP policy.  Again reference the Table 6-5 in the link I supplied earlier.

Yes, I looked at that table before posting. I realize they are allowed to be worn. I do not see where it says these badges may be worn on the pocket of the blues shirt, though.

It does say:
"Badges are worn in the same position as they are worn on the Air Force uniform. If a CAP badge is worn in the same position, the member must choose one to the exclusion of the other."

...and thus my question is whether wearing of these badges on the pocket is allowed according to the Air Force.

From what I understand (I could be wrong), these are worn above the ribbons, not on the pocket.

Flying Pig

Quote from: A.Member on October 20, 2010, 06:47:36 PM

It does not allow for the jump wings or the recruiter, however, National may still allow for it.   As instructed in 39-1, "before wearing any badge not listed in Table 6-5, contact National Headquarters/LMM for clarification."

While I could be wrong, I believe jump wings are classified as aeronautical badges.

Like I said earlier, I'm not trying to discredit what he has accomplished at all. Rather, this was a question asked of me last night, that I was not 100% sure regarding an answer.

You can wear them but not on the pocket flaps.  It can only worn above your ribbons.

The AF can wear the SCUBA badge on the left pocket where CAP would wear their specialty track badges.    If you look at AF PJs or CCT they have their SCUBA badges on the middle of their pockets.  IF you had a CAP member who had those badges they could wear their SCUBA on the middle fo their pocket, but not the pocket flap.

HGjunkie

I think only the Army wears a badge on the pocket flap.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 20, 2010, 07:28:20 PM
I think only the Army wears a badge on the pocket flap.

Navy and Coast Guard do as well, for certain badges.

...the member being discussed is wearing the Pathfinder and Air Assault badges on the pocket itself (not the flap), where CAP traditionally wears specialty badges.