Badges? We don't need any stinkin' badges!

Started by Eclipse, October 18, 2010, 02:27:29 AM

Eclipse

Two questions:

1) Any idea or opinion why there is no three-tiered Stan/Eval badge(s)?

2) What dictates the wear of the respective badges?

39-3 is for decorations and ribbons.

35-6 Is for Aeronautical and ES badges.

I can't find anything that dictates the wear of other badges, and the word "badge" doesn't even appear in many of the respective pamphlets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

I thought Stan/Eval required completion of a couple of other tracks. Ops, ES, and Safety I thought.

flyboy53

Would you really need a badge when Stan/Eval already requires pilot wings?

I'd take the wings any day over another badge.

FW

By "badges", I guess you mean Specialty Badges.  They come in three flavors; tech, senior and, master. 

There is no Stan/Eval badge because the NB never authorized one. 
Wear of badge is dependent on what level in the specialty track you have reached.
Actually, I am surprised there is no written reference to the wear of such badges.  Maybe it is written in the respective "Specialty Track" pamphlet (?)

arajca

Most of the specialty track badges were authorized after the pampletes were written. As for wear authority, check CAPM 39-1.

Eclipse

Quote from: flyboy1 on October 18, 2010, 10:40:27 AM

Stan / Eval does not wings - you could be a mission scanner or even an AOBD for the Tech rating.

Confused with Operations, though we're talking about pocket badges not aeronautical ratings.  "All" it takes for CAP wings is one Form 5 (not like I'll ever do that), but few CAP pilots are stan / eval.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2010, 02:22:04 PM
Quote from: flyboy1 on October 18, 2010, 10:40:27 AM

Stan / Eval does not wings - you could be a mission scanner or even an AOBD for the Tech rating.
Don't see how that could work. According to CAPP 212, dated 3 Jun 1985 (most current, just checked the NHQ website):

Quote1. Position Description. Perform duties as a CAP instructor pilot, responsible for flight and ground instruction in a particular aircraft.

Unless there's something else that completely alters the basic requirements for the track, you would have pilot wings.

The Pamphlet also says this as far as requirements go:

• Must meet the requirements of a qualified CAP pilot as outline in CAPR 60-1.
  • Must be a current and active FAA Certified Flight Instructor (written waiver must be granted by the region commander if a CFI is not available).
  • Must be an experienced pilot in a particular CAP aircraft.

That discounts AOBD or mission scanner as allowable to be able to have the track. By the letter of the pamphlet, you wouldn't have to a current CAP pilot, but you'd still have to be a pilot.

Eclipse

^ Scratch my last - confused it with Operations while I was trying to figure out the badge (or lack thereof).

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on October 18, 2010, 02:47:11 PM
^ Scratch my last - confused it with Operations while I was trying to figure out the badge (or lack thereof).
Got a little confused myself. But, after looking at 39-1, and the various pamplets mentioned for requirements of the Operations track, I don't seem to see any badges for either Flight Ops or Stan Eval. The Operations track covers both tracks, but neither of those tracks seem to have badges.

Eclipse

VG is selling Ops badges:

At first I was thinking maybe that was what you wear for Stan/Eval, that was when I realized that most of the pamphlets have no reference to the respective badge.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

CAPM 39-1 Table 6-2 Line 7 and Table 6-3 line 5 authorize most of the badges.

They are depicted in Figure 6-18., including the one for Operations

There apparently is no authorization for Stan/Eval, nor the former Flight Operations specialty track. 

I wonder if this was an oversight or deliberate.

vento

Quite often I see STAN/EVAL pilots wear the STAN/EVAL patch instead of the Wing patch on their flightsuits. Don't think there is a Badge for the USAF Styly or white aviator shirt.

DBlair

If only Vanguard would make the 3 level Cadet Programs specialty badge, and not just the Tech rating. I'm still trying to pry off the blue star (tech rating), but no luck thus far.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MICT1362

Is the blue star glued on?  Mine was just a normal star device, I straightened the prongs and pulled it right out.  Inserted new star and used some tape on the back to keep it on straight.

Eclipse

It depends on the vintage - the ones from the Bookstore and CapMart are much easier to remove than the current ones from VG.

"That Others May Zoom"

DBlair

Quote from: MICT1362 on October 18, 2010, 05:58:45 PM
Is the blue star glued on?  Mine was just a normal star device, I straightened the prongs and pulled it right out.  Inserted new star and used some tape on the back to keep it on straight.

On mine, it appears the back of the blue star is a rivet of some sort.

tsrup

Quote from: DBlair on October 18, 2010, 06:58:21 PM

nail polish?
Paramedic
hang-around.

arajca

Quote from: DBlair on October 18, 2010, 06:58:21 PM

Drill?

Hill CAP

I know that my DDR Badge had glue on the back of the prongs for the star even with the prongs straightened out it took quite a bit of force t get the star off and I am talking force to the point I was surprised that the badge didn't break before the star came off.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

DBlair

Quote from: FLCAP 268 on October 18, 2010, 08:31:11 PM
I know that my DDR Badge had glue on the back of the prongs for the star even with the prongs straightened out it took quite a bit of force t get the star off and I am talking force to the point I was surprised that the badge didn't break before the star came off.

I was applying quite a bit of force and likewise was concerned that I was going to break the badge. Perhaps it needs just a bit more effort or use of other tools to remove this blue star.

I'm kind of surprised that Vanguard didn't rush to make all three levels of this badge in order to make more money. Then again, they (or NHQ) have not made mini medals for every ribbon either. Perhaps someday.