Letter of Recommendation

Started by DrDave, October 18, 2010, 12:49:46 AM

DrDave

All, I've been asked by a cadet to write a letter of recommendation for one of the service academies.  Any good examples out there I can "borrow" from? 

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

DakRadz

Quote from: DrDave on October 18, 2010, 12:49:46 AM
All, I've been asked by a cadet to write a letter of recommendation for one of the service academies.  Any good examples out there I can "borrow" from? 

Thanks,
Dr. Dave
In all seriousness, if you know any retired officers, ask them. Most that I know have some sort of cookie-cutter letter- especially if there is a JROTC program around you, because the instructors are forever writing letters of some sort.

Flying Pig

I have written about 5 total.  I would not go with the cookie cutter.  They have seen them all.   Just 2-3 paragraphs addressing the cadets leadership abilities and how you as a citizen would be proud to have them serve.  Teamwork and how they work with others, etc.  If you know anything about their education through in a couple blurbs about challenging themselves in classes like calculus, physics, yada yada,  also mention physical fitness (hopefully it applies).
Perhaps list some of the steps you have seen the cadet take to prepare themselves, any National Activities.  Just write it about what you know about them personally. 

You dont want the cadet ending up with a stack of letters that look like everyone else.  You are a civilian youth leader.  Write it from that aspect.  They are not expecting you to submit a military style letter.  If the cadet thought enough to ask you, write it from the heart.  I dont have any copies, but the people I have written them for have all been accepted!  Although Im sure the one I wrote wasnt the deal maker!

capchiro

Capt. Steht is correct on this.  Genuineness counts more than form.  Write it, put it away and look at it again tomorrow, and edit it prior to sending.  You will think of some more things to add in the middle of the night.  If possible, I always sit on these for a day or two.  It's amazing what comes to you out of the blue.  Usually the really good stuff.  They see a million form letters, usually from people that aren't real close to the cadet..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154