Gear For Hawk Mountain

Started by GTCommando, September 16, 2010, 02:12:40 AM

GTCommando

Alright, Here's the deal. This thread is not for people to espouse their opinions concerning HMRS, simply for previous attendees to share what advice they have on the subject at hand.

Here's what I'm asking: I'm GTM2 and GTM1(T), and am thinking of attending Hawk next year. I've looked at the gear list and I've got most of it, but which of these two options, in your opinions, would be the wisest (And less painful) path to to travel?

1. Start with the gear I've got, add what I need but don't have yet, and remove non-essential items as needed to make space.
OR
2. Leave the majority of my gear at home and take what I have to have and nothing else.

I want to be prepared, a lesson I've learned very painfully, but at the same time I don't want to hurt myself. Relevant advice please? Thanks for the help.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

tsrup

If the gear you have is what you're going to be carrying in the field on a REDCAP, then why wouldn't you want to train with it?
Bring what you take with you normally, add any required items for the activity. 

If you are worried about hurting yourself with what you currently have, you need to reevaluate your loadout.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Patterson

Is there a required packing list or gear list specific to Hawk beyond what you normally need??

So why wouldn't take what is on that list, and then decide what to add to the pack after that?

SJFedor

Leave your boombox at home.

(Colgan, picture please?)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: Patterson on September 16, 2010, 03:20:10 AM
Is there a required packing list or gear list specific to Hawk beyond what you normally need??

So why wouldn't take what is on that list, and then decide what to add to the pack after that?

http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

GTCommando

Thanks for the help. I've been leaning towards option 1, because I'm not too worried about the loadout I've got, But I've gotten input from both sides, and I want to here from people who've BTDT. Thanks again.  :clap:
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

phillybiker

Check the HMRS website again. The summer school packing list is going to change and you won't need as much stuff. Check again in late Febuary or early March.

DakRadz

Thermal underwear.

Because when you wear them, your other clothes are merely for social politeness.

Thermals are warm. I love them.

GTCommando

^^Thanks for the info. I love thermals as well. I'm wearing a pair as I write this.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Earhart #15889