Which uniform would be appropriate?

Started by Hawk200, September 13, 2010, 03:02:25 PM

Which uniform would be most appropriate when presenting a speech about CAP to a non-CAP group?

Polo combination
6 (10.5%)
Service dress(or corporate equivalent)
33 (57.9%)
Dress without Service coat (or corporate equivalent)
17 (29.8%)
BDUs (or Blue BDUs)
0 (0%)
Flightsuit (green or blue)
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: September 21, 2010, 03:02:25 PM

Hawk200

Taking a speech class for college. Want to do a speech on CAP (which will also fill the requirement of Presenting a CAP topic to a non-CAP group).

Obviously, this kind of speech would be probably be most effective while wearing a uniform. My question is: Which one? Have my own ideas, but figured I'd ask for some input.

Yes, I did add most standard uniform combos, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think some of the ones I listed would be appropriate just that I'm putting up all the options. If you think something else is fitting, please explain.

MIKE

Definitely not BDUs, Field Uniform or a bag.  You can probably leave off service dress too, for a college classroom.
Mike Johnston

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAP Producer

It depends on your audience, the venue, the subject matter and you.

For example if I were to address a military group I would wear a blazer because I do not meet weight/balance to wear the USAF style uniform.

If I were speaking to a group of scout leaders I would wear the aviator shirt combo with ribbons and badges.

If I were speaking to Emergency Managers and they were wearing their agency polos I would wear a nice CAP polo or the aviator shirt combo (with name tag and rank no ribbons/badges).

When I work with the media on an actual mission and operating at a ICP or JIC I would wear the Blue BDU, aviator short combo (with name tag and rank no ribbons/badges) or the polo.

But for most presentations I wear the Blazer.

That's just me.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Thunder

Quote from: CAP Producer on September 13, 2010, 03:54:00 PM
For example if I were to address a military group I would wear a blazer because I do not meet weight/balance to wear the USAF style uniform.

Hope you aren't large enough to have to complete a W/B sheet when you put on a uniform!

Sorry I just had to have some fun with this  :D

Flying Pig

I would wear blues without ribbons. Consider it a recruiting event.  My personal opinion, but I think the polo shirt combo is the ugliest looking get up CAP has. If blues are not an option I'd go with the Corporate.  Not a fan of the blazer.  Flight suit or BDUs are a negative. Whenever I do recruiting for CAP I like to emphasis the para military relationship by the uniform. I know to many CAP members who's sole CAP uniform collection consists of one blue polo shirt that if faded to a shade of bluish grey.

raivo

My initial reflex was service dress, as that's generally the preferred uniform when representing CAP professionally (in a non-operational situation.) But, service dress being the equivalent of a suit-and-tie, that seems like it might be a little much for a college classroom. I'd go for blues, no service coat, with or without ribbons.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

vento

If we are talking about a current date college in California, then flip flops would be the casual dress code for most students (unless you are talking to MBA classes where the polo or business casual is the norm). I would dress according to the audience I am addressing, no flip flops of course, but most likely inline to what the proffesors or lecturers dress in that particular school.

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

jb512

Blues shirt (or aviator).

Polo if you're headed to the golf course afterward.

mdickinson

Definitely blues (or white-and-gray combo) without service coat.  The blue (or white) shirt, with a minimum of bling on it (no ribbons; just the nametag and one or two devices) is a clean way to show the organization's military heritage without getting all War Room on them.

Even better, if weather is cool enough, would be to wear the blue shirt with the blue pullover sweater over it.  That gives a trim appearance, shows the epaulets, but is a bit more understated.

EMT-83

I would say service dress or corporate equivalent. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like to make a favorable impression. When I represent my company at a business meeting, I'll wear a jacket and tie. Everyone else might be wearing business casual – but they're representing their organization, not mine.

jimmydeanno

I suppose a few people will have a cow when I say that I talk to about 150 Air Force members and their families each month at the base's newcomer orientation in the polo combo.  150 people in ABUs, the rest in civies with a mixed group of different local Realtors, banks, school representatives, etc. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

RiverAux

Service dress in almost all cases.  If I know the rest of the group is going to be much less formal I'd leave the jacket at home. 

Might make exceptions for BDUs if the presentation if the speech is part an event where the others are out in the field other than when I'm giving my talk.   

General rule of thumb for speakers is to be 1 step more formal in dress than your audience. 

CAP Producer

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 13, 2010, 10:04:41 PM
I suppose a few people will have a cow when I say that I talk to about 150 Air Force members and their families each month at the base's newcomer orientation in the polo combo.  150 people in ABUs, the rest in civies with a mixed group of different local Realtors, banks, school representatives, etc.

Nah, you used your best judgement. Works for me.

Determine your audience, use common sense and dress accordingly. That's the best course to follow.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Major Carrales

Service Coat is the desired level of formal for said occasion where a formal speech would be given, short sleeve service dress if it is less formal.   BDUs and Flight suits are not ideal.  Now, if it were some ensemble event...the main presenter would be in Service Dress and you might have some presenters in BDUS and Fligthsuits to demonstrate to describe their funtions in CAP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

cap235629

Mess Dress with the CAP sword Vanguard sells  >:D  >:D  >:D  >:D
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Dragon 3-2

I did the same thing a few years ago in my flight suit ( was still a cadet at the time) and it worked out ok, professor gave me bonus points for "looking the part".

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team