He must have been a big supporter of CAP

Started by flyguy06, September 11, 2010, 02:15:49 AM

flyguy06

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=871047

Former Tuskegee Airman Wofford dies in Minnesota

You may click below or cut and paste this link for a photo and news article:

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=871047

By The Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- A former member of the famous Tuskegee Airmen of World War II has died in Golden Valley. Retired Air Force Col. Kenneth Wofford Sr. was 87.

A news release from the Minnesota Civil Air Patrol on Wednesday says Wofford often spoke to young people about the famous unit. He died Sunday in his home.

The Tuskegee Airmen were America's first black fighter pilot group in World War II. Many fought over Europe, but Wofford was stationed in Japan when the war ended.

He spent 32 years as a pilot, serving on active duty in the U.S. Air Force through the Vietnam War.

Wofford was a Minnesota Aviation Hall of Fame member and had established a scholarship program for cadets in the air patrol's Anoka chapter.

Wofford will be laid to rest at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the Fort Snelling National Cemetery.

Johnny Yuma

Not many of those guys left anymore.

Yes, the Tuskegee Airmen have been big supporters of CAP in one way or another. In fact, one was KSWG CC for a full term.

IIRC there is a chapter of TA's that sponsor a CAP cadet unit (mostly inner city kids) in NEWG as well. 

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

ZigZag911

IIRC we had a TA speak at an NER Conference some years ago, also at an NJW conference...inspirational gentlemen; talking to any of them is like seeing history come alive.

I feel the same way, though, when I get any WW2 or Korean vets (both before my time) to talk about their military service.