NH Wing To Support Most Expensive Airshow in New England

Started by RADIOMAN015, August 27, 2010, 12:32:57 AM

RADIOMAN015

Interestingly, looks like NH will have 200 members at the Boston Portsmouth Airshow providing parking and "security" support.

Take a look at this show's website for the totally outrageous pricing ever seen in New England:
http://newenglandairshow.com/purchase_tickets.php#general
So if you & your spouse, & 2 kids decided to attend the show it's going to cost you  $90.00 just to get in, and you can't bring any cans etc or even a small cooler.  Plus $10.00 for parking on the grounds (ya better not tail gate & no RV'ers!!! >:D)

Most of the flight line has been taken up by "yuppie" tents where folks spent upwards of $100+ each for the privledge of having air conditioned out house, etc. so the general admin class ($25 each) will be squzzed to the southern portion of the hot tarmac, a long way from the "hot" outhouses. >:( :( 

The NH wing summer newsletter states that the 200 members participation will result in a 5 figure dollar range (e.g. $10,000?) donation to the wing for use in cadet programs (a source on another list stated it was going to be $2.5K).

Apparently according to the website the show is being conducted on behalf of the Boy Scouts of America & Brain Injury Association of NH -- be interesting to see what the "net" proceeds are that go to these two groups when this ends.

I won't be attending the show (unless someone wants to give me a ticket to the VIP tents/chalets with the a/c porta potties ;) ) .  However, I was in disguise at the Westfield (MA) International Show, watching all the CAP members in action there.  Funny thing, got to park right on base fence line (no shuttle, no CAP provided "security". etc (hey they had a nice recruiting/information booth, 2 aircraft display, & the cadets hawked air show guides & assisted some other organizations for squadrons' fund raising) ,  they asked for a $10.00 donation while parking, and the show had 230K attend (180K on Saturday).   Those of us that got there at 0800 hrs local had an enjoyable drive in & parking experience.  At 1100 hrs there was a 35 mile backup on the MA Turnpike and about 1 1/2 hours later they ran out of parking space.

Be interesting to see what the BOSTON Porstmouth airshow has for attendance and ultimately what NH wing earns for their efforts :clap: 
RM   

jimmydeanno

Word on the street is that the 5-figure amount you mention is actually 25,000.

The Blue Angels are in town and they did military day or whatever today.  It'll be a good show and CAP stands to benefit greatly, not just financially but publicity-wise as well.

It was good today during practice, I'm sure the real deal will be better.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

jimmydeanno

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the price.  There is a 3.5 hour backup trying to get there and it is 5:30 right now, almost done for the day.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 27, 2010, 12:32:57 AM
So if you & your spouse, & 2 kids decided to attend the show it's going to cost you  $90.00 just to get in

Been to a movie lately?

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2010, 01:27:17 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 27, 2010, 12:32:57 AM
So if you & your spouse, & 2 kids decided to attend the show it's going to cost you  $90.00 just to get in

Been to a movie lately?
This isn't a fictional movie, it's an airshow!!!  (I don't go to the movies, will watch at home via cable or even rent a movie from the local "Blockbuster" (apparently they filed for bankruptcy protection).

Sorry to say but those that attend the airshow circuit found this to be VERY expensive in comparison to other New England shows.   Like I said before $10.00 for Westfield (Ma) $10.00 for Quonsett RI, nothing for  Ft Drum NY (last year), Andrews Joint, & Navy Norfolk, etc, etc, etc,.     
RM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 28, 2010, 09:44:58 PM
There doesn't seem to be any problem with the price.  There is a 3.5 hour backup trying to get there and it is 5:30 right now, almost done for the day.
HA, HA  ;)  If it's 1730 hrs local, they already missed the show!!!  Unbelieve how stupid the general public is on airshows.   Being a hobbyists who has attended quite a few over the 20+ years, I can say, get there as early as you can and expect to stay a lot longer (in the parkng lot) than you originally thought!!!
RM   

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 28, 2010, 12:41:00 AM
Word on the street is that the 5-figure amount you mention is actually 25,000.

Hey great job to NH wing :clap:  The wing commander seems to be a pretty good guy, and I'm sure that this beats trying to sell candy bars to booster wing cadet programs support.   

My undercover sources, reporting in real time, tell me that the cadets really had a great time doing this :clap:
RM   

Smoothice

Airshow was great, I was there...all day on Saturday doing the security screening. That was so much fun...."But, what do you mean I can't take my hudge pocket knife past the gate? But, I paid 80 dollars for it"

There was an excellent CAP turn-out. Not just NH, but also Vermont and Maine. We got a pretty good repore from the public. Most of them were good to us, lots of comliments.

I can't comment on the traffic, becuase we were there at 05:00 and we did not leave there until 20:00, but I did see a slow, dreadful roll out of the gates.