Main Menu

Fingerprint card

Started by nesagsar, August 23, 2010, 02:40:49 PM

nesagsar

Where do I find the fingerprint card for Senior Membership? I need to submit one for my security clearance at work so I figured I would get the CAP one done at the same time.

jeders

You should be able to get one from your squadron. I'd recommend talking to your CC or squadron Personnel/Admin Officer.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

nesagsar

I have not made contact with a squadron yet. I am interested in the NCR though.

jeders

The fingerprint card is something that will have to be acquired through a unit. It's not online or, as far as I know, otherwise available.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

EMT-83

They are issued to squadrons by NHQ; you can't order one directly.

a2capt

Typically, it's gotten from the unit, at a point in the "three meetings" period when yourself and they have decided you're going forward with the membership submission.  They're not available any other way.

spacecommand

The fingerprint card is a standard FBI FD-258 card.  You usually get it from the squadron you want to join, usually after attending a meeting (or meetings) and speaking with the Squadron CC (or recruiting officer) to see if you like the unit or not.  The card you get from the squadron has all the printed CAP information on it already.

You can order a fingerprint card direct from the FBI as well (I have before for another job application).   The card you'll get from the FBI directly would be blank, though I don't see why you can't fill in the information later.

It is best to get the card from the squadron you want to join (it is probably the fastest way too) or if you can find somewhere fast to get you a FD-258 card.  It doesn't hurt to have your fingerprints ready, doesn't mean you are committed to joining, but when you decide to join you can have the fingerprints ready to go with the membership application supplied by the unit.  Still attend those unit meetings before deciding.  Not all units are the same, so you might want to browse around some nearby units to your location.

vento

^^^ Spacecommand is correct. In California, most Police Department also have it and they can even do the fingerprinting for you. However, I've learned that most went digital and the form (fingerprint card) is now scarce, but it doesn't hurt to ask your local PD.

EMT-83

Just make sure the ORI and other info is correct. Probably best to use the pre-printed cards supplied by NHQ.

BillB

The CAP fingerprint card will NOT work for non-CAP fingerprints. It's preprinted with CAP specific information. You would need to get a card from local law enforcement or your company should have them if they require them.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Capt Rivera

Hi nesagsar,

You mentioned NCR but not a squadron. I'm sure you know how to do this, but just in case...

Find your closest unit:

* Since I'm posting this link... its not a bad idea for all reading to make sure your squadrons listed information is complete and correct  ;)

Also, this could be incorrect, but... I believe someone once told me that CAP will only accept the CAP issued fingerprint card... Using the correct form that is not issued by CAP will result in a failure of processing.  (Again, this could be very wrong - anyone know for certain?)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

spacecommand

Quote from: BillB on August 23, 2010, 03:39:04 PM
The CAP fingerprint card will NOT work for non-CAP fingerprints. It's preprinted with CAP specific information. You would need to get a card from local law enforcement or your company should have them if they require them.

I believe the OP was looking for the CAP fingerprint card because he was getting fingerprinted for another job at the same time, I assume the other job has a different card/form he is using, but just getting the CAP fingerprinting done on top to save time later.

There isn't any difference from the CAP fingerprint FD-258 and the Regular FD-258 other then the CAP 258 has the address to Maxwell AFB on it, the Unit Charter number (where it says Employer address) and the words VOLUNTEER (for reason why fingerprinted).  Three things you can easily fill in after the fact.  Since the card is exactly the same other then it doesn't have pre-printed information on it, and that the FBI does the check not CAP, I don't see why it would be rejected. 

My local state police still did the old fashion ink fingerprinting.  Good to have two cards done (typically provided) just in case.

nesagsar

My employer is using the FBI form, which makes sense since my job is in federal emergency management. I just want to try to get all of my fingerprints done at once. Despite the obvious rewards (CAP membership for one and Secret level clearance for the other) I would like to keep my hands as un-inky as possible.

vmstan

These days most (modern) facilities do it all digitally with a scanner/camera taking a picture of your prints. At least the last two I've had to have done were like that. I wouldn't worry too much about ink anymore.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: Marshalus on August 23, 2010, 09:04:29 PM
These days most (modern) facilities do it all digitally with a scanner/camera taking a picture of your prints. At least the last two I've had to have done were like that. I wouldn't worry too much about ink anymore.

Just got mine done last month, and all the police did was place my hands and fingers on a scanner several times and print the prints out on the card.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Майор Хаткевич

I had one of our resident Police officer members give me the dirty old school prints at the meeting. :)

Spaceman3750

I took my card to the local PD and asked one of the ID techs my father knows to do it :).

When I was vetted for my position at a school district, I was printed using a scanner. YMMV

vento

Quote from: Capt Rivera on August 23, 2010, 03:42:32 PM
Also, this could be incorrect, but... I believe someone once told me that CAP will only accept the CAP issued fingerprint card... Using the correct form that is not issued by CAP will result in a failure of processing.  (Again, this could be very wrong - anyone know for certain?)

Unless things changed recently, I gave my commander the FBI fingerprint card from my local PD and CAP accepted it without any problems. Just make sure that information is filled in correctly.