Broken Cadet and PT.

Started by Fly Boy, August 19, 2010, 11:43:10 PM

Fly Boy

I have a cadet who is "broken" and can't do PT. I have seen the form in P52-18 but I also noticed that it is for cadets submitting Milestone Paperwork. Would a doctor's note be enough to allow him to skip the PT for his Curry?

Thanks,

C/1st Lt. Kaufman
SER-FL-169

DC

Quote from: Fly Boy on August 19, 2010, 11:43:10 PM
I have a cadet who is "broken" and can't do PT. I have seen the form in P52-18 but I also noticed that it is for cadets submitting Milestone Paperwork. Would a doctor's note be enough to allow him to skip the PT for his Curry?

Thanks,
I believe a physician's note and some documentation from the squadron commander exempting him from the PT requirement for the promotion is sufficient for a regular achievement.

Eclipse

From the KB (which apparently anyone can access and has all sorts of great info about CAP).

Squadron commanders may determine a cadet to be temporarily restricted from parts or all of the CPFT due to a condition or injury of a temporary nature and place the cadet in Category II - Temporarily Restricted under the guidelines and restrictions in CAPP 52-18 without a doctor's certification.

Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity, and illness. Cadets normally will not exceed six months in this category without reevaluation. Cadets temporarily restricted from a portion of the CPFT are still required to complete and pass the events they are not restricted from. Cadets in this category will not attempt the CPFT required for the Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, or Eaker Awards, or be administered the Spaatz examination until they return to Category I or are determined by a physician to meet the Category III or IV conditions listed below.

The intent of this temporary restriction is to allow the cadet to continue to progress in the program, excepting the milestone awards, and not to avoid the physical fitness requirements.  Commanders are expected to monitor requests for temporary waivers carefully to ensure the integrity of the program. An alternative course for a minor illness such as a cold or sinus inflection would be to reschedule testing the following week. Placement in Category III or IV does require a physician's certification.

Milestones may not be passed by Cat II cadets.  See 52-18 for the full detail.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2010, 11:52:33 PM
From the KB (which apparently anyone can access and has all sorts of great info about CAP).

Squadron commanders may determine a cadet to be temporarily restricted from parts or all of the CPFT due to a condition or injury of a temporary nature and place the cadet in Category II - Temporarily Restricted under the guidelines and restrictions in CAPP 52-18 without a doctor's certification.

Temporary conditions include broken bones, post-operative recovery, obesity, and illness. Cadets normally will not exceed six months in this category without reevaluation. Cadets temporarily restricted from a portion of the CPFT are still required to complete and pass the events they are not restricted from. Cadets in this category will not attempt the CPFT required for the Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, or Eaker Awards, or be administered the Spaatz examination until they return to Category I or are determined by a physician to meet the Category III or IV conditions listed below.

The intent of this temporary restriction is to allow the cadet to continue to progress in the program, excepting the milestone awards, and not to avoid the physical fitness requirements.  Commanders are expected to monitor requests for temporary waivers carefully to ensure the integrity of the program. An alternative course for a minor illness such as a cold or sinus inflection would be to reschedule testing the following week. Placement in Category III or IV does require a physician's certification.

Milestones may not be passed by Cat II cadets.  See 52-18 for the full detail.

Whoa, I know this is an old thread, however, I am highly impressed. They actually say CAP promotes physical fitness, but, obesity can actually be a reason to "not do PT"? I admit, I am not skinny, blah blah, however, shouldn't that be a reason TO DO pt?

Eclipse

No at least not for a cadet so obese as to be dangerous. Starting pt from zero for a medically obese cadet could be fatal.
However a dr's note would be required to be exempt at whatever level is required.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

My problem is getting cadets I know who are CAT 3 or 4 from attempting PT. One had a heart attack at the age of 16 the other has a congenital heart problem. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 02, 2011, 01:39:25 AM
My problem is getting cadets I know who are CAT 3 or 4 from attempting PT. One had a heart attack at the age of 16 the other has a congenital heart problem.

I suppose it is an academic discussion, but a simple "you can't" isn't enough? Where's mom & dad?

"That Others May Zoom"