Air Command and Staff College

Started by CAP603, July 27, 2010, 04:26:04 AM

CAP603

I just discovered this site courtesy of the local USAF Educational Services Office (ESO). The ESO referred me to the topic on ACSC.  A TSgt there found it on his own initiative. As fate would have it, I have just completed ACSC and was interested in the old string about whether or not there's any benefit for CAPers to take it.

In my particular case, one of the main reasons I took ACSC was because I felt I wasn't reading enough and wanted to get involved in something that would force me into the books. ACSC certainly did that! Students are given 18 months to complete seven classes. I did it with two weeks to spare. Extensions are granted, but I wanted to represent CAP well and not ask for an extension.

Beyond that, does it help CAP members?  As was noted in the old string, the first class on leadership and command certainly was applicable. The remaining lessons did not apply directly to CAP activities. That being said, it does offer insight into how the military is operating around the world. It offers a great education on counterinsurgency and terrorism, as well as national security. From that perspective, yes, it is enlightening, but again, the material beyond the first lesson does not apply directly to CAP. It is great information for anyone, CAP or not, who wants to know more about world affairs. I felt it made me a better CAP member, especially since my previous unit is located on an Air Force installation. I can relate better to USAF personnel and activities after completing ACSC.

Is the course difficult? Depends on your background and interests. I have a BA in Russian and East European Studies and an MA in International Relations. I was a federal law enforcement officer for 26 years with involvement in counterintelligence and counterterrorism. I was deployed to Iraq a few years ago. I also have 13 years of military active and reserve duty. So, as you can see, ACSC was a natural progression for me.  I didn't find the course particularly difficult, but it required persistence and attention. If you don't have an applicable background, you may find the course to be a hand-full.

I'm glad I did it and I wish I had taken it before I deployed to Iraq. I would have understood a world more.  I can also say I took the same course Air Force majors take to make Lt Col. Had I know about SOS, I would have taken that, also.

Lastly, and not to offend anyone, I felt ACSC would be more challenging that RSC; however, RSC relates directly to  CAP and allows one to make potentially valuable contacts with other members. As someone said in the previous string, there's no problem in taking both ACSC and RSC.

Good luck if you go for it.

flyboy53

Yes, I, too, was glad that I took the course. Intensive, yes, relevant, yes....and being that I have bachelors and masters degrees in commmunication, I'm now wading through AWC and finding that stuff dry but interesting.

Regardless of what people say, we are the Air Force Auxiliary. It's good to show that we can complete the same PME levels as required by Air Force officers. You do learn something in the process and you can say that you did it on your own.

PHall

Plus, if you're in the Guard or Reserve, it's Retirement Points.
You may have to fight your Education Office to get them, but points are points.
And they all pay the same...

bosshawk

And, if you desire, you can replace The Region Staff College and the National Staff College in obtaining your level four and five in the PD program.  I know, I have used the Army Command and General Staff College and the AF War College: I should be getting my level 5 in a month or so.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

One step closer to that Wing CC job youve been after! >:D

bosshawk

Shhhhhhhhhhh-the Secret Squirrel will be after you.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777