Old Style USAF uniform for Cadets

Started by spacecommand, July 25, 2010, 11:35:16 PM

spacecommand

I'm not a cadet btw, but I was going through the CAP uniform manual and saw that the old style usaf uniform was still authorized for cadets and lead me thinking.

I can understand due to money constraints why some cadets still are issued the old style USAF uniform. 

But also, it has been how many years since the old style uniform was phased out by the USAF? 10+ years or so ago?

Has national ever thought of setting a date for the full phase out of issuing the old USAF uniform for cadets?  Is there just not enough modern style USAF uniforms in stock to give out?

raivo

Don't complain. I wish *I* still had the option of wearing the old-style USAF uniform...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

DC

Quote from: raivo on July 26, 2010, 12:45:59 AM
Don't complain. I wish *I* still had the option of wearing the old-style USAF uniform...
I like the old coat much better, but it drives me up the wall to see a group of cadets in the 'same' uniform, but looking very different. The new-style coat has been around for quite a while now, and are not very hard to get a hold of, we really ought to stop clinging to the old style...

And while I do like the old style, cut the new one some slack, at least it isn't the McPeak, naval style  :o .

spacecommand

I'm not complaining about (or debating about) the style whatsoever, nor does it affect me whatsoever what cadets wear anyway.

I'm just curious why the option still exists, after so many years after the old USAF uniform was phased out. 

Like I said, I can understand why the option existed when it was first being phased out, but this is some 10+ years later  now since it was made mandatory (from my readings the current uniform was officially adopted sometime in the mid 1990s and made mandatory in the year 2000). 

DC

Quote from: spacecommand on July 26, 2010, 01:00:39 AM
I'm not complaining about (or debating about) the style whatsoever, nor does it affect me whatsoever what cadets wear anyway.

I'm just curious why the option still exists, after so many years after the old USAF uniform was phased out. 

Like I said, I can understand why the option existed when it was first being phased out, but this is some 10+ years later  now since it was made mandatory (from my readings the current uniform was officially adopted sometime in the mid 1990s and made mandatory in the year 2000).
My post was aimed more in raivo's direction...

I agree with you, it has been around forever and the new-style is plentiful, let's get rid of finally.

spacecommand

Yeah I was responding to the above one.

Since I don't work on the cadet side of things, I'm not sure how it works over there.  The cadets get a uniform voucher I know, and they trade it in for a uniform.  The ones getting the old style uniform must be pretty used up by now, even if they aren't in rough condition, I still don't see any reason why it is still issued out this long after they have been phased out.

SarDragon

The service dress coat is not a "free uniform issue" item. They are purchased by members (mostly used these days), or issued from a units stock.

They tend to last longer than you might think, because they aren't worn as often as someone on AD might have. With reasonable care, one of these coats should last through several owners, since they are usually outgrown before they're worn out.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

I guess my question then goes back to why is it still an authorized item and if National has any plan to phase them out in the future?  As mentioned it shouldn't be tooo difficult these days to find "current" style service coats.

kd8gua

I think one reason there is a reluctancy to make a phase out date is because of the NCO vs Officer service dress. In the regs, it does not mandate one or the other, just "new-style." Some members of this board, and the general population, will argue that NCO jackets are easier for cadet officers, and yet others will argue that officer jackets are easier for cadet officers. This all has to do with the velcro-ing and sewing of velcro dots to the service coat to keep the cadet shoulder boards in place.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of uniforms that can be picked up at a reasonable price are going to be "old-style" or current NCO style. Current style officer coats are hard to come by on the used market, and also much more expensive. I purchased an NCO service coat when I was a cadet, for about $10. I picked up an officer coat for about $40, and that was the cheapest I've ever seen. I had no problem buying my own uniform items, because I had stopped growing by about age 15, and I was a member of CAP for a little less than a month at that point. FWIW I still wear the same blues short sleeve shirt that I received in my Free Cadet Uniform package. The pants, not so much, it'll take some exercise to squeeze into them again.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

The CyBorg is destroyed

Not that this would ever happen, but I've often thought that all of CAP should go to the NCO-style service coat.

Rank?  Take a cue from the cadets with their shoulder boards.  Use Velcro or press-studs and use the CAP Mess Dress shoulder boards.  Different to the USAF, but matching blue, classy-looking.

Plus, as has been stated and re-stated, it's a lot easier, and cheaper, to find the NCO-cut service coat.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

tsrup

Quote from: CyBorg on July 27, 2010, 01:47:58 AM
Not that this would ever happen, but I've often thought that all of CAP should go to the NCO-style service coat.

Rank?  Take a cue from the cadets with their shoulder boards.  Use Velcro or press-studs and use the CAP Mess Dress shoulder boards.  Different to the USAF, but matching blue, classy-looking.

Plus, as has been stated and re-stated, it's a lot easier, and cheaper, to find the NCO-cut service coat.

If cheaper is the issue then why mention the shoulder boards?  Those are ridiculously expensive and a PITA.  What we have isn't broken.  No need to try and "fix" it.

As for the Cadets wearing the old style service coat?  Simple.  Our squadron has a Whole closet full of the old style coat with every size we can think of.  What we don't have is a single one of the new ones.  Plus the old service coat has the benefit of being useful to both cadet officers and cadet NCO's. 

When it comes down to it for our cadets, if it becomes between cheap and free.  Free will win.

Seniors, wanna save money on a service coat?  I had an enlisted coat and with some time, patience, some thread and some spare buttons, I put the epaulets on my self.  It wasn't that hard of a job, and if you think the sewing is outside your skill set, Im sure there is a seamstress in your area that could do it for small fee.
Paramedic
hang-around.

arajca

You have a closet of old coats. Great. Do you have matching trousers? Remember, the coat and trousers have to match.

tsrup

Quote from: arajca on July 27, 2010, 04:06:00 AM
You have a closet of old coats. Great. Do you have matching trousers? Remember, the coat and trousers have to match.

The answer would be... yes, Lots. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

Please tell me you're stock-piling the Free Uniform trousers as well, for the day when they are necessary.

I would think the squadron would have them if they give cadets another pair of pants AND a service coat.

tsrup

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2010, 01:43:31 PM
Please tell me you're stock-piling the Free Uniform trousers as well, for the day when they are necessary.

I would think the squadron would have them if they give cadets another pair of pants AND a service coat.

Of course.
Paramedic
hang-around.

spacecommand

Then it would be a matter of getting the current style dress that has been mandatory for USAF for over 10years now?
Donation drive etc, just like how you got your hands on those old style uniforms over the years. 

tsrup

Quote from: spacecommand on July 27, 2010, 04:56:16 PM
Then it would be a matter of getting the current style dress that has been mandatory for USAF for over 10years now?
Donation drive etc, just like how you got your hands on those old style uniforms over the years.

The donations are primarily from the AFROTC detachment that is here.  They switched to new style dress, they gave us their old style.  They switched to ABU's, we got a ton of BDU's.  If/when they decide to get rid of some of their new style service coats, they will all be officer style, which isn't useful to a cadet until they make a cadet officer grade.

What I do see as a viable alternative is to make the new style mandatory for those who reach the ranks of cadet officer. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

JayT

Quote from: tsrup on July 27, 2010, 05:03:42 PM
If/when they decide to get rid of some of their new style service coats, they will all be officer style, which isn't useful to a cadet until they make a cadet officer grade.

Why? A cadet of any grade can wear the officers style jacket.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

tsrup

Quote from: JThemann on July 27, 2010, 05:33:35 PM
Quote from: tsrup on July 27, 2010, 05:03:42 PM
If/when they decide to get rid of some of their new style service coats, they will all be officer style, which isn't useful to a cadet until they make a cadet officer grade.

Why? A cadet of any grade can wear the officers style jacket.

This is true. 

That said I still see no rush to move Cadets out of the old style service coat.  Sure one day it will become a necessity as the old ones will eventually become unwearable or the old shade pants will become unserviceable (whichever comes first).  At the current time though, this is not an issue.
Paramedic
hang-around.

DakRadz

If you had the old style pants and service coat, would you not also need to have an old-style flight cap? And for Honor Guard/cadet officers, what about a different cover on the service cap?

This thought just struck me... I've never heard anyone point this out, nor seen the regs mention it.