Benjamin O. Davis Leadership Ribbon

Started by BradM, July 21, 2010, 12:29:19 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: BradM on July 21, 2010, 05:44:53 PM
Thank you all! How does one earn the Achievement ribbon, the Homeland Security ribbon, the Counterdrug ribbon, and the General Chuck Yeager Award?

Achievement Ribbon - a decoration for outstanding service, usually with a scope of the Group level (higher than unit, lower than wing)
Award is subjective to the presenter (Group CC or higher).

HLS - 10 sorties of Homeland Security missions

Counterdrug - 10 sorties related to counterdrug

Yeager - pass the online test.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

Thank you. Does anyone have examples on what outstanding service at group level could be?
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Eclipse

Quote from: BradM on July 21, 2010, 06:04:16 PM
Thank you. Does anyone have examples on what outstanding service at group level could be?

I'd say your best bet is to join and worry about decorations down the road.  They are not a given - some people
go their whole CAP careers without getting any of them.

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

I'm being curious and just wanting to know just incase someone would like to give examples that they know of. :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

DBlair

Quote from: BradM on July 21, 2010, 06:46:00 PM
I'm being curious and just wanting to know just incase someone would like to give examples that they know of. :)

While I like your eagerness to get involved and learn about the various awards, instead of trying to hunt for ways to earn ribbons, perhaps you should join and get involved in your unit in whatever area appeals to you. Being a member of CAP is more than just earning ribbons. Most of those ribbons come after a substantial amount of training or involvement, and so its not like you'll be getting most of those for probably at least a year or so, at the earliest- probably much longer.

Regarding the Achievement Award or other decorations such as the Commander's Commendation, it basically has to do with going above and beyond and performing your duties in an outstanding matter- essentially, do your absolute best at everything you do and the decorations may/may not come. It is all up to you being recommended for such awards are subjective to certain people feeling you are performing in an outstanding manner. That being said, many members spend their entire time in CAP doing amazing/outstanding things and still don't get such decorations.

If you are on a quest to earn ribbons, I would say the easiest/fastest to earn are the following:

- Membership Ribbon: Complete Level I Training.
- Community Service Ribbon: Submit proof of having done 60 hours of unpaid community service, outside of CAP.
- Yeager Award: Complete an online, open book (download the pdf of the book) Aerospace Education exam.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Camas

Thank you all! How does one earn the Achievement ribbon?
Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2010, 06:16:05 PM
I'd say your best bet is to join and worry about decorations down the road.  They are not a given - some people go their whole CAP careers without getting any of them.

To put the question about the achievement award in a different prospective - it's a decoration. Decorations can't be earned. They are bestowed upon the recipient for acts of outstanding service, heroism and a selfless attitude of service. One has to be nominated for a decoration and it can be a bit of a process which I won't go into here.

Three examples - in the military there are decorations that range from the Medal of Honor down to Commendation Medals and Achievement Medals. In the Boy Scout program there are decorations such as the Silver Beaver and the District Award of Merit. And, finally, in CAP there are decorations such as the Achievement Award and the Commander's Commendation among others.

As Eclipse pointed out a member can be a member of an organization such as CAP for years and find himself or herself virtually ignored when decorations are presented. In other situations one will find members who have been members for a very short time who wind up with a fistful of decorations. It's not fair - but that's life.

DBlair

Quote from: Camas on July 21, 2010, 08:20:30 PM
Thank you all! How does one earn the Achievement ribbon?
Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2010, 06:16:05 PM
I'd say your best bet is to join and worry about decorations down the road.  They are not a given - some people go their whole CAP careers without getting any of them.

To put the question about the achievement award in a different prospective - it's a decoration. Decorations can't be earned. They are bestowed upon the recipient for acts of outstanding service, heroism and a selfless attitude of service. One has to be nominated for a decoration and it can be a bit of a process which I won't go into here.

Three examples - in the military there are decorations that range from the Medal of Honor down to Commendation Medals and Achievement Medals. In the Boy Scout program there are decorations such as the Silver Beaver and the District Award of Merit. And, finally, in CAP there are decorations such as the Achievement Award and the Commander's Commendation among others.

As Eclipse pointed out a member can be a member of an organization such as CAP for years and find himself or herself virtually ignored when decorations are presented. In other situations one will find members who have been members for a very short time who wind up with a fistful of decorations. It's not fair - but that's life.

Good way of explaining it.

It is interesting how many members don't understand the difference between a Decoration and a Service award/ribbon.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BradM

Quote from: DBlair on July 21, 2010, 08:13:57 PMWhile I like your eagerness to get involved and learn about the various awards, instead of trying to hunt for ways to earn ribbons, perhaps you should join and get involved in your unit in whatever area appeals to you. Being a member of CAP is more than just earning ribbons. Most of those ribbons come after a substantial amount of training or involvement, and so its not like you'll be getting most of those for probably at least a year or so, at the earliest- probably much longer.

Thank you, I am thinking long term in the 10 year range :)

I do accounting for a retirement home and I've been working for them since Oct of 1997. So the Finance Specialty is one I am thinking of doing. Also, I want a Specialty that is not office related since I am in the office all day long at work. So Communications is another track I would like to learn. Thirdly, I love to read about WWII and history so as a third Specialty being a Historian is also something I'm considering as well.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

Quote from: DBlair on July 21, 2010, 08:13:57 PM
- Community Service Ribbon: Submit proof of having done 60 hours of unpaid community service, outside of CAP.
- Yeager Award: Complete an online, open book (download the pdf of the book) Aerospace Education exam.

The Community Service Ribbon is one that a Senior member can earn too? I'm 47 by the way.

I will plan on studying for the Yeager Award. Thank you for the advice on this!
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Major Carrales

Quote from: BradM on July 21, 2010, 08:39:55 PM
Quote from: DBlair on July 21, 2010, 08:13:57 PM

The Community Service Ribbon is one that a Senior member can earn too? I'm 47 by the way.

I will plan on studying for the Yeager Award. Thank you for the advice on this!

Yes, recently the Community Service Ribbon was opened to all members.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BradM

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 21, 2010, 09:48:47 PM
Yes, recently the Community Service Ribbon was opened to all members.

Thats great! :) Thank you for responding!
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

DakRadz

Quote from: JC004 on July 21, 2010, 04:49:56 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on July 21, 2010, 03:41:34 AM
Yessiree it is. Not an official site of the United States Air Force Auxiliary, Civil Air Patrol; that means room for error.

What amazes me is that it doesn't have some sort of disclaimer on the site....

Official sites don't have errors?  Have you been to the Knowledgebase?   >:D

I've quoted their errors myself. I merely meant that the fact that it isn't official is an immediate red flag for credibility.

SarDragon

OK, regarding the labeling error, I have contacted the owner, who hasn't been very active for some months, and he will correct it. If you see other corrections that need to be made, let me know by PM, and I'll pass them on.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

BradM

What does the bronze star on the Paul E. Garber Award ribbon signify?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Short Field

BradM

Go to http://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/indexes_regulations_and_manuals.cfm

Then scroll down to R39-3 under the "Publication" column and click on it.  All will be answered...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

BradM

Quote from: BradM on July 22, 2010, 04:56:55 PM
What does the bronze star on the Paul E. Garber Award ribbon signify?

Quote from: Short Field on July 22, 2010, 04:56:55 PM
BradM

Go to http://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/indexes_regulations_and_manuals.cfm

Then scroll down to R39-3 under the "Publication" column and click on it.  All will be answered...

"A bronze star will be added to denote completion of Squadron Officer School."

Thank you for the link! :)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA