Online Calendars for Squadron events, meetings, training etc.

Started by RVT, July 14, 2010, 02:46:45 PM

RVT

Personally I'm a big fan of on line calendars.  I look at my google calendar every morning and I can see what I'm going to be doing and where in several different layouts.  Whats more, Overlays maintained by other people and activities that I subscribe to just appear on my calendar without my having to find out about them and then enter them myself.  I can turn these overlays on or off at will depending on what I want to see and how crowded my calendar is getting.

My squadron, group and region have Google calendars that I now have appearing as overlays on my own.  The Google system seems to be the most popular as everyone with a google account (free) automatically has one.  So if someone is actually maintaining a calendar for your unit (probably should be the IS officer) everyone immediately knows about changes to events, like a meeting cancellation, a new training class that gets schedule

Only glitch to this system is that some Squadrons are using Yahoo calendars instead, which do not import into Google so I'm still looking at two calendars.  And the time honored rule of "Garbage In, Garbage Out" applies - if the calendar is not maintained, it can send bogus reminders to people to attend non existant meetings.  That should be avoided.

Eclipse

There is simply no equal to Google's services, especially if you light up Apps for Education and go with a fully managed environment - calendar, docs, Wave, contacts, and hundreds of other modules and apps, almost all of it free.

Time to get those Yahoo's (literally) to export their calendars and join the rest of us in the cloud.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Eclipse on July 14, 2010, 04:02:18 PM
There is simply no equal to Google's services, especially if you light up Apps for Education and go with a fully managed environment - calendar, docs, Wave, contacts, and hundreds of other modules and apps, almost all of it free.

Time to get those Yahoo's (literally) to export their calendars and join the rest of us in the cloud.

Could not agree more... Already have Google Education going. Was very easy to get the free upgrade...  Will be using the calender as soon as we launch our new site, hopefully soon...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

321EOD

We've been using google apps education edition for 12 months - excellent FREE resource!

Use it for calendaring, resource booking (if you have a squadron vehicle, radios etc) document collaboration etc.

We have 80-90 cadets in the squadron and it makes communication so much easier - generate email lists for flights, command staff, specialty areas, parents, leadership etc

our website is still being developed, with much of our FOUO info behind our login area - each of our cadets has a squadron gmail account - many of then love it because it separates CAP email from facebook/twitter/myspace notifications! and gives them a CAP 'identity' online!

some of the sites we've created with Google apps: (still works in progress, but gives you an idea of what the product can do, even if you're not a web/tech geek!)

www.tvcseagles.com (Thompson Valley Composite Squadron - the Eagles)
www.drillteam.tvcseagles.com
www.openhouse.tvcseagles.com

Steve Schneider, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets (Retd!)
Thompson Valley Composite Squadron (CO-147)