Another one joins the ranks of the 'hinges'!

Started by AlphaSigOU, July 12, 2010, 01:53:15 AM

AlphaSigOU

As of July 6th, I officially traded my railroad tracks for gold bottlecaps on my shoulders and farts and darts on my blues service cap! (For the humorless, I got promoted to the grade of major.)

Apparently, I also joined the ranks of the 'hinges' as described by this tidbit of Navy slang:

QuoteHinge: slang for an O-4, or Lieutenant Commander (LCDR). So called because of the lobotomy that is supposedly mandated as soon as a naval officer is promoted to this rank, in which half of his brain is removed. A hinge is then inserted that allows for reattachment of the removed gray matter later. The hinge also limits the LCDR's head movement to the fore-aft axis. This is clearly demonstrated as the O-4 is constantly nodding in the affirmative and saying "Yes sir, yes sir..." when in the presence of the CO.

(Change to Major as appropriate...  ;D)

Four more years before the tarnish comes off the bottle caps (promotion to Lt Col)!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

lordmonar

Well wecome aboard....the squadron needs another Major....I was getting lonely.  8)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: lordmonar on July 12, 2010, 02:00:36 AM
Well wecome aboard....the squadron needs another Major....I was getting lonely.  8)

LOL! See you Tuesday! :)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

O-Rex

TCMajor

Congrats Charles!

In the Army we are referred to as Iron Major! No lobotomy provided.  We are in charge of the primary parts of the essential maneuver elements on the battlefield, the battalion.  We fill the S-3(Operations Chief), and Battalion XO.  In these positions we are directly responsible for almost every aspect of the effective application of combat power in the battalion.  In the Combat Division we are, in my case, the DTO(Division Transportation Officer); responsible for everything that moves in the division's AOR, establishment and control of all MSRs.  We also provide the Division/Brigade S-3 with all the needed information to formulate effective battle plans in order to inflict the greatest damage to the enemy.   The Navy is quite different than the Army in many ways though.  I realize (hope) that this was said in all humor, but as a retired Army Major, I would prefer that you not denigrate the rank.  I worked my tail off to get it, and lost good friends along the way.  I know you worked hard to get it also.  Be proud of it!

Again, congratulations and wear the rank with pride!   
Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

Eclipse

Congrats!

Don't spend the percentage promotion bonus all in one place (assuming you even have more than one place to spend it right now).

"That Others May Zoom"

AlphaSigOU

Yeah, just add another zero in front of the decimal point!  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

tsrup

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 12, 2010, 02:57:35 AM
Yeah, just add another zero in front of the decimal point!  ;D
still waiting on that illusive "1"..
Paramedic
hang-around.

Seabee219

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nice job. IT takes dedication to reach that level these days.
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Major Lord

Grade = TIG / PPTS X $SA

Where TIG is "Time in Grade",  PPTS is "Power Point slides"  ( total number viewed while in CAP) and $S " Total Dollars Spent " on CAP, including uniforms, travel,radios, and lost dollars from ignoring your actual job.

Congratulations! Major is a heck of a lot further than most members make it, and you will be able to offer your squadron a better officer for it.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

a2capt

Quote from: Seabee219 on July 13, 2010, 03:45:49 PM:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Nice job. IT takes dedication to reach that level these days.
Oh yes it does. .. and I can't believe it's been just over a year since I hit Major. 2.9 years to go to the next. :)

ColonelJack

Congratulations, Chuck!  I remember getting my gold bottlecaps ... back when dirt was new.

So new, in fact, that I didn't get the farts 'n darts on my service cap.  They were still reserved for light colonels and full birds back then.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Short Field

Quote from: TCMajor on July 12, 2010, 02:18:24 AM
In the Army we are referred to as Iron Major! No lobotomy provided. 
There are lots of Majors and a lot less Iron Majors.   In previous decades, the Iron Major was the one you could dump the last minute tasking for a major action on late in the day and he is ready to execute the plan the next morning - red-eyed, dry-shaved, same uniform as yesterday, reeking of coffee and cigarettes, and 100% right in all details of the Ops Order.     
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 12, 2010, 01:53:15 AM
As of July 6th, I officially traded my railroad tracks for gold bottlecaps on my shoulders and farts and darts on my blues service cap! (For the humorless, I got promoted to the grade of major.)

Apparently, I also joined the ranks of the 'hinges' as described by this tidbit of Navy slang:

QuoteHinge: slang for an O-4, or Lieutenant Commander (LCDR). So called because of the lobotomy that is supposedly mandated as soon as a naval officer is promoted to this rank, in which half of his brain is removed. A hinge is then inserted that allows for reattachment of the removed gray matter later. The hinge also limits the LCDR's head movement to the fore-aft axis. This is clearly demonstrated as the O-4 is constantly nodding in the affirmative and saying "Yes sir, yes sir..." when in the presence of the CO.

(Change to Major as appropriate...  ;D)

Four more years before the tarnish comes off the bottle caps (promotion to Lt Col)!
Congratulations Sir!

Wright Brothers #13915

TCMajor

Quotethe Iron Major was the one you could dump the last minute tasking for a major action on late in the day

That is the only way I remember ever getting tasked.  Sleep was for the weak.  >:D
Major Kevin N. Harbison, CAP
Major, USA (RET)
Commander
Greater Nashua Composite Squadron

LtCol057

Congrats on the promotion.  Anytime we can get someone away from the mindset of the Eternal LT grade is great.  I'm still waiting on the promotion pay raise.  If I got back just 10% of what I've spent on CAP, I'd be driving a new vehicle.   

Major Carrales

Congrats, Brother Major.  Ironically, I am in the DFW area and you are not.  We could have celebrated in CAP STYLE!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PhoenixRisen

DakRadz

So now it's time to start a Flight in the Kwajalein Atoll.  >:D Have fun with that!

Congratulations sir! Nothing like more zeroes in the bank.  :D

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DakRadz on July 28, 2010, 07:36:34 PM
So now it's time to start a Flight in the Kwajalein Atoll.  >:D Have fun with that!

Congratulations sir! Nothing like more zeroes in the bank.  :D

Unfortunately, the way CAPR 35-4 is written, overseas CAP squadrons can only be formed on USAF installations. I'm on an Army installation.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040