CAP Flight Suits-Reviews and Recommendations

Started by ArmyCAP, July 08, 2010, 09:33:44 PM

indygreg

Quote from: davidsinn on July 31, 2010, 03:20:09 AM
Quote from: tsrup on July 30, 2010, 11:14:43 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on July 30, 2010, 10:55:40 PM
Quote from: tsrup on July 30, 2010, 10:40:15 PM
I'd trade 2 hours of flight time out of my logbook to buy a flight suit, even if I never have to use my Nomex for what it was designed for.

That's fine for you. What about the underpaid guy riding in the back seat that can't even afford his own headset?

There's always ebay and surplus stores.  I was fortunate enough to find one my size in my squadrons supply when I started my flight training as a cadet.  Still fits, still is serviceable.
Ever seen a blue flightsuit on ebay? I haven't. I heard they exist but it'll be impossible to find my size.
I don't see the issue though.  Ground team members are required to have a full 24 and 72 hour gear (Task O-0001) which most of it is purchased by the member.  I think I spent more on my GT gear then most members have spent on nomex.
I get mine at walmart and dollar stores. Real cheap but gets the job done. 

You want to do missions?  Fine, have adequate equipment. 

I empathize with the underpaid.  Im a full time student who works part time.  My wallet is less than bulging.  But I still found ways to make sure I'm outfitted properly for whatever mission pops up.

Shouldn't headsets be part of the airplane? They're not around here. I need to get one of those long before I get a flightsuit that is no more useful than the BBDU I already wear.

Agreed.  I have yet to be in a plane that had extra headsets.  The first thing I bought when I started aircrew training was a headset.  I plan to get a Nomex suit eventually (about 15 lbs. to go), but I had to have a headset first.

wuzafuzz

I have no heartburn with those who choose to wear Nomex.  However, requiring it for the one in a million chance of needing it seems a stretch.  If this is truly a significant safety issue then why aren't we wearing flight helmets?  Is head trauma in a crash any less likely than a fire?
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on July 30, 2010, 11:35:19 PM
Quote from: tsrup on July 30, 2010, 11:14:43 PMThere's always ebay and surplus stores.
Not for people built like big boys - 37" length arms will not be on eBay or surplus
I found a brand new navy blue nomex flight suit in size 50XL on eBay, so you just never know. 

In fact, I just might entertain offers to purchase said flightsuit, it's in new condition, never even had insignia set up for wear.  Money's tight, and so's that flightsuit on me.  :-\
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: wuzafuzz on July 31, 2010, 01:57:24 PM
I have no heartburn with those who choose to wear Nomex.  However, requiring it for the one in a million chance of needing it seems a stretch.  If this is truly a significant safety issue then why aren't we wearing flight helmets?  Is head trauma in a crash any less likely than a fire?
Ever priced a flight helmet?  And you thought flightsuits were expensive!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Mustang on July 31, 2010, 03:16:08 PM
Quote from: wuzafuzz on July 31, 2010, 01:57:24 PM
Ever priced a flight helmet?  And you thought flightsuits were expensive!
Agreed.  New helmets are crazy expensive.  Yet some of the risk and safety arguments supporting a Nomex requirement could be interpreted to require helmets.  We should take care to avoid unintended consequences of the rules we make. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

We wear flight suits because the USAF does, and someone liked that idea - since at least some pilots wear them as a matter of course, are ex-military, and/or are able to get them through the secondary market (cause they are little fellers), the overall financial impact isn't
enough to cause a wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Sadly, many pilots are proud of the fact that a flight suit is the only uniform they own.

Ever seen the visceral reaction you get to telling a pilot he has to by a service uniform of some kind (whites, blues, whatever)?

Want a real revolt? Suggest helmets and that the only jackets allowed are nomex - "safety" will go out the window.

"That Others May Zoom"

Custer

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2010, 04:57:52 PMSadly, many pilots are proud of the fact that a flight suit is the only uniform they own.

Actually I think most of them have the polo shirt too, they just don't bother to follow the grey pants rule.  But they do wear long pants and enclosed shoes at least (as opposed to sandals)

A nomex flight suit worn without a helmet or gloves, and covered with a nylon flight jacket, isn't really doing you a lot of good anyway, its just a fashion statement.

ArmyCAP

So would the consensus be that a poly/cotton flight suit is also merely a fashion statement, as good or as poor as NOMEX if the NOMEX is unaccompanied by gloves (forget helmets), or just more comfortable to fly in that shirt and trousers? I notice that airline and corporate pilots fly in shirt and trousers, (Do we still call them trousers, Gentlemen?) and the CAP distinctive white uniform shirt is a pilot's shirt... The USAF requires NOMEX, but they issue it to their folks! A less expensive ebay USAF suit might be ideal, so long as we could just sew on cloth rank and give up the plastic stuff. The color could be distinctive to avoid confusion with USAF. Someone do a memo! ;)

Eclipse

?? Most members are wearing green USAF flight suits, which is what is approved and prescribed.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: ArmyCAP on August 01, 2010, 02:53:12 AM...or just more comfortable to fly in that shirt and trousers?
I think they are, but it's personal opinion.

Quote from: ArmyCAP on August 01, 2010, 02:53:12 AMA less expensive ebay USAF suit might be ideal, so long as we could just sew on cloth rank and give up the plastic stuff.
I would agree. Washing the flightsuit has detrimental effects on the plastic. Cloth is an easy option, but since Vanguard "found a supplier", we won't be going away from plastic anytime soon. Personally, I wish we had cloth rank and cloth nametags. I'd sew it all on, and be done. But, unfortunately, that's not the case at present.

Quote from: ArmyCAP on August 01, 2010, 02:53:12 AMThe color could be distinctive to avoid confusion with USAF.
Any distinctive color will also have it's distinctive price(read that as: expensive). And although our allocation for the green flight suit is through the Air Force, and as such it's configuration is up to them; a green flight suit isn't used exclusively by them. That's why it's the least expensive color to obtain.

peter rabbit

QuoteBut check this out: Gibson & Barnes sells pants called "Sentinel Pants" which have all the pockets of the lower half of a flight suit. Cool? You can even get them in Nomex, to protect only your lower half!

I've looked at pants like these, but NHQ has told me specifically that they aren't approved for wear. Go figure - they would look good and be much more functional.

RVT

Quote from: peter rabbit on August 04, 2010, 04:56:10 PM
QuoteBut check this out: Gibson & Barnes sells pants called "Sentinel Pants" which have all the pockets of the lower half of a flight suit. Cool? You can even get them in Nomex, to protect only your lower half!

I've looked at pants like these, but NHQ has told me specifically that they aren't approved for wear. Go figure - they would look good and be much more functional.

Well they do come in Dark Grey.  But  $184 pair of Nomex pants worn with a polyester polo shirt seems sort of pointless...

Cms.sloane

If a cadet is training to be a pilot are we also ble to wear flight suits?

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

HGjunkie

If they can wear the flight suit, do cadets wear grade insignia?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

No.

39-1 quotes forthcoming.

Page 98,  Table 6-1
Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-1
Cadets do not
wear grade on
flight suits

Page 34, USAF-style uniforms section, Flight Suit Bullet 1
Quote from: Flight Suit ChartCadets do not wear insignia or cutouts.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 05, 2010, 02:45:40 PM
If they can wear the flight suit, do cadets wear grade insignia?

No. Flight suit nametag for cadets only carries the designation 'CADET', regardless of grade.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MIKE

Not on the flight suit or jacket itself.  Cadet officers would still have metal grade on the flight cap.  CAPM 39-1 used to specify "CADET" on the ASNP...  Vanguard will put "CDT" on them now apparently.  Putting individual cadet grades on them is a waste of money anyway.
Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF