Cadet on-line exams.

Started by Grumpy, July 02, 2010, 08:38:43 PM

Grumpy

VPI18

Agreed, but some bugs need to be fixed. I've had correct answers marked wrong, "All of the above" given as the first choice on a question, and even if the exam has been graded, it is not submitted until you click finish... On a related note, does anyone know if Chapter 8 of "Learn to Lead" replaces the speech requirement for the Armstrong?

SarDragon

Quote from: wilhelm147 on July 02, 2010, 08:43:10 PM
Agreed, but some bugs need to be fixed. I've had correct answers marked wrong, "All of the above" given as the first choice on a question, and even if the exam has been graded, it is not submitted until you click finish... On a related note, does anyone know if Chapter 8 of "Learn to Lead" replaces the speech requirement for the Armstrong?

I hope not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on July 02, 2010, 09:56:07 PM

I hope not.
Me too, the speech/essay requirement is an important prep for the work cadets will have to do as Cadet Officers, with SDAs, mentoring and whatnot.

notaNCO forever

I think it would be a bad idea to replace the Armstrong achievement with a written test. Hopefully cadets have had chances to do some public speaking before the Armstrong, but if they didn't having to give a speech garuntees they do it atleast once before being a cadet officer. Of course chapter eight of the new book is the best chapter out of them all since I am a co author of it.

a2capt

I've not looked over the new stuff that closely yet, but I'm curious what will happen to the practical portion of the tests. Since I just don't see that happening in front of a webcam for future review, I've got to figure they still need to perform that in front of their staff or other appointed evaluator.

brasda91

Quote from: a2capt on July 03, 2010, 12:31:11 AM
I've not looked over the new stuff that closely yet, but I'm curious what will happen to the practical portion of the tests. Since I just don't see that happening in front of a webcam for future review, I've got to figure they still need to perform that in front of their staff or other appointed evaluator.

Taken from the Overview: Performance Tests: Of course, drill and ceremonies will still be tested the "old fashioned way."
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Eclipse

This is akin to people thinking level I is now done online.

One component of cadet progression has moved online - the test itself.  Nothing else has changed.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

This is a major direction change for the Cadet Program no matter how you look at it. Though roughly 8-9 years after the first senior tests appeared online, The interesting thing is how this will be balanced with those who have no internet access combined with the inability to do tests on site en-mass. Like how (at least I'm familiar with) where they conduct the Curry test at BCS, or otherwise give the cadets an opportunity to take their next achievement test.

Schools have banks of computers and albeit, locked down and restricted internet access- most units do not, and I hesitate to say that there's probably a good percentage of members in some areas that may be limited at home too. Either parentally or bandwidth availability.

We'll see how this goes and what we'll need to do to adapt and progress with it. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I can already see that when new prospects come in the door we'll need to be talking to them about internet access for their prospective cadet(s), that it is part of the curriculum, that an eServices account should be setup and all that.

I just only can hope that it does not cause a deterrent among control freak parents.

Sooner or later, little Johnny or Jane is going to hit the real world, and this is where it's going. Might as well start early.

The internet has become more of a utility akin the power, gas and water vs. the added item like Cable TV service.

DC

I have seen cadets with super way over-protective parents that won't let them touch a computer, and they still get by. This has caused friction, completing the OPSEC or ORM training for instance, but there are ways to work around it. The tests will still be available in written form for those that cannot get access to the 'net, and those are so far and few between these days, that I don't see it being a major issue. It's nice to see the Cadet Program joining the 21st century finally.