Cadet officer GPA data

Started by RiverAux, June 29, 2010, 09:06:20 PM

RiverAux

This report has some data showing that a lot of CAP cadet officers have very high grade point averages:
http://www.capmembers.com/file.cfm/media/blogs/documents/Stats_C091196AC47C8.pdf

However, this is somewhat misleading since it is apparently based on information from 190 self-selected applicants for scholarships.  They didn't mention what type of scholarships, but for the most part, those with higher GPAs are likely to apply for them.

So, while I have been beating the drum for a long time that CAP should be collecting data on the benefits to cadets from participation in the program, this doesn't quite cut it.  Instead, they need to do a random sample of cadets if they want to use this information for something. 

lordmonar

I would say NO.

Not because it is not good data to collect for recruiting and reporting purposes.....but the adminstrative burden would be a bear.

We have enough monthly reports that have zero bearing on day to day operations of the cadet program as it is.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Ned

It would also be a lot of work to derive any meaningful information or comparisons.

Different schools in different areas have significantly different grading standards and methods.  Not everyone uses a 4.0 scale or includes the same classes in the determination.

Universities know this problem well, and the uselessness of GPAs alone for comparison purposes is why we have SATs and ACTs.

I agree that we should be collect meaningful data to help us show how CAP positively affects young leaders, but raw GPA data is far more trouble than it is worth to collect, transmit, analyze, and report.

Ned Lee
National CP Guy

RiverAux

Y'all misunderstood.  I wasn't saying that CAP SHOULD be conducting a GPA survey, just that if they're going to use GPA stats, they need to be collected in the proper way. 

I don't think GPA information would be all that helpful in proving the usefulness of the cadet program in any case. 

dwb

Is there no limit to the trivial things you'll complain about?

RiverAux

Quote from: dwb on June 29, 2010, 11:58:16 PM
Just today I've heaped praise on Florida and California Wings.  Guess I should stop that too. 

HGjunkie

Quote from: RiverAux on June 30, 2010, 01:28:57 AM
Quote from: dwb on June 29, 2010, 11:58:16 PM
Just today I've heaped praise on Florida and California Wings.  Guess I should stop that too.
No, please continue. 8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF