CAP Bands

Started by kd8gua, June 22, 2010, 04:46:53 AM

kd8gua

I've been thinking about this lately, not sure if it has ever been done though, but here's my idea.

I know there used to be a CAP Music Academy as one of the NCSAs. Has anyone tried on a more local level (group, wing... even individual squadron) to form a CAP cadet and senior based band? Lots of students are in high school marching bands, just not sure how many are in CAP as well. Many squadrons participate in various parades, but some only send perhaps a Color Guard or Honor Guard to represent the unit. For larger parades, what would be better than a band composed of CAP cadets and Seniors performing CAP, USAF, and traditional US marches?

Has this ever been done or attempted? Is there anything that would specifically prohibit a squadron or group forming a band of this type?
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

SarDragon

Great idea - really hard to execute. In most areas, the numbers just aren't there. There was a pretty extensive discussion of this a while back on here or CadetStuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPC/officer125

At my home squadron, we tried this at one point. Most if not all of the cadets were involved in music in some way and most seemed interested in doing some sort of band. One of the more senior cadets decided to put together forms and such to try and start things off, but things didn't get much further than that. We talked about it once every other staff meeting or so and he made an emblem. That was pretty much it.

I wish CAP didn't cancel that NCSA.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

PA Guy

From time to time over the yrs there have been band sqdns although I haven't heard of one in quite a few yrs.

kd8gua

I suppose, with DCC approval, I could probably pass around a sheet at the next meeting and have cadets/seniors write their names and what instrument they play, and interest in CAP band, and see if there even is enough interest squadron level.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

tsrup

Quote from: kd8gua on June 22, 2010, 05:59:52 AM
I suppose, with DCC approval, I could probably pass around a sheet at the next meeting and have cadets/seniors write their names and what instrument they play, and interest in CAP band, and see if there even is enough interest squadron level.

Putting together a band takes a lot of time, and a lot of people.  Especially if you want a balanced quality sound.  There will have to be practices outside of the meeting that everyone would have to be able to attend (no small feat if anyone has ever tried to just get 4 color guard members to find a date outside of a meeting to practice). 

There is a very large difference between a balanced band, than a few brass players and one or two odd woodwinds. 
It might be best to try at an ensemble level.  Maybe a brass quartet or trio to accompany a Color Guard to functions and play the National Anthem and the likes.  If a full scale band is what you're after, your best results would probably come from the wing level provided you manage to get everyone together.

If your squadron has the resources and the time to make this work, it would be outstanding.  This kind of initiative would be something any reasonable DCC would have a hard time signing off on.  However, you will be pressured to do well as a negative performance could have a negative impact on the opinions of our organization.
As a (college level) Band geek, this is exactly the kind of thing I would love to see take off!  Best of luck on your endeavours. 

Best advice I can give?  Start small.  Trio, Quartet, Quintet, or maybe even a Drum and Brass corps.  Then work your way up as you establish yourselves.

Again, Good luck!
Paramedic
hang-around.