Red service Ribbon

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, June 04, 2010, 03:55:50 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

The following being said, I was told I need a red service ribbon, and I need to apply all of my years to include those between 2003 and 2010 even though I was not a member during that time. I was a cadet from 1999 till 2003. Should my RSR really include those years?

The Red Service Ribbon is given to any member of the Civil Air Patrol who has been a member of the program for two years (as a cadet or Senior Member in good standing.) In addition, the following devices are awarded for additional years of service.

- A first Bronze Clasp is awarded at the end of 3 additional years (total of 5 years).

- Additional Bronze Clasps are awarded for each additional 5 years of service. A maximum of three bronze clasps (denoting 15 years of service) will be worn.

- Longevity Devices, A metal number, denoting years of service, awarded at the end of 20 years and in increments of 5 years thereafter. The longevity device is worn centered on the red service ribbon and the bronze clasps are no longer worn.

jimmydeanno

If you weren't a member, don't include the time.  You should wear the basic ribbon.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

manfredvonrichthofen

Thank you, on my eservices it doesn't say anything about a break in service but I didn't think they should be included.

Pylon

You don't count years you weren't in.  That defies the purpose of rewarding members for years of service to Civil Air Patrol.

People can tell you anything.  Members of higher grade are human, too, and don't know all of the regs.  Since you've already found the appropriate regulation cite from CAPR 39-3, you know what's right. 

You can count the years you were a member as a Cadet and Senior Member combined.  They don't need to be consecutive or uninterrupted.  So for 1999–2003, you'd get 4 years, plus however many you have now.  Since you don't have more than a full year under your belt now, you just rate the basic ribbon (for 2+ years).  When you hit 5 years total (a year from now since you're a new member), then you'll earn the first clasp.

CAPF 2A is the form you need.  Signed by your chain up to the Wing Commander, or his or her designee.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP