White Aviator Shirt & CAP Wings.

Started by cachambliss, June 01, 2010, 11:43:54 PM

cachambliss

Notice the thickness of the shirt?  Notice the length of the pins on the CAP Wings?  Apparently no one ever considered folks would put the wings on anything other than a thick wool jacket. 
    So, do I clip the pins on the wings in half and file each to a point?  or do I kick over a bucket of worms and have the wings embrodered onto the shirt? 

Of course I see nothing wrong with the white shirt, gray slacks and a Cavalry Stetson with crossed sabers, Regimnental Crest, etc.  or "Tanker" Boots with a Pickle Suit.

PA Guy

Use backing on the inside of the shirt and they work just fine.

vento

Quote from: cachambliss on June 01, 2010, 11:43:54 PM
Notice the thickness of the shirt?  Notice the length of the pins on the CAP Wings?  Apparently no one ever considered folks would put the wings on anything other than a thick wool jacket. 
    So, do I clip the pins on the wings in half and file each to a point?  or do I kick over a bucket of worms and have the wings embrodered onto the shirt? 

Of course I see nothing wrong with the white shirt, gray slacks and a Cavalry Stetson with crossed sabers, Regimnental Crest, etc.  or "Tanker" Boots with a Pickle Suit.

It's the same when you wear the blues. So, it is not a white aviator shirt issue.
Suggest you to get some "enforcers". They help a lot.
http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_378_1862_2422&products_id=6846

Eclipse

You should not be wearing anything on your shirt without these, or the individual discs for smaller badges.  Ever notice how some people's
shirts sag on the badge side?  This is why.

Another thing I have used it taking 7-10Mil laminaiton pouches and run them through the machine empty - then cut to size.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I use translucent white plastic from USN tech manual covers that is heavy enough to support the ribbons/badge/wings, and, if cut to the right shape, is almost unseen behind whatever it's supporting.

It's free, and infinitely customizable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mustang

Plain ol' cardboard works just fine, too.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

cap235629

Quote from: Mustang on June 02, 2010, 06:03:36 AM
Plain ol' cardboard works just fine, too.

if it is WHITE otherwise it shows through
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

a2capt

The card that National used to send out in place of the ID card in the renewal envelopes  - works just great as an enforcer for the name tag. Even using it on the white, it works on both sides and you can't see any of the printing.

pierson777

Yes, you need enforcers, plastic, or cardboard, etc behind the shirt to support the wings, nametags, and badges.  As far as the lenth of the pins, they have been that length for many decades.  If they were shorter, we wouldn't be able to pin the insignia to our service jackets.  The backing is an extra step that is required to look good.

Just don't confuse the location of the enforcer and put it directly behind the insignia.  I've seen this a couple times where the enforcer is on the oustide of the shirt...utter silliness.  But it just just goes to show that these uniforms can be complicated things to get right.  Keep asking the questions and your sure to keep getting the answers.

MSgt Van

Plastic lid off a coffee can cut to approx shape works great.