Paying For Encampments?

Started by RLM10_2_06, May 26, 2010, 05:02:23 PM

RLM10_2_06

So, a question; how on earth do CAP members normally pay for encampments? I ask because I'm working on joining CAP, and also joining USAC. However, broke college student = no money, and especially the upcoming OCS encampment (for USAC) in July I'm trying to attend would cost me over $800. I've heard tell in some circles about getting money donated from organizations and companies to fund an individual's expenses, but where would I even start? Who would be good to turn to? Is this even POSSIBLE? I'm a little stuck because cadets normally can get financial aid of some kind if they need it, but I'm joining both organizations as a Senior Member, so no luck there. Ideas?
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

DogCollar

I'm not an expert in this, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I believe that you would be ineligible to go to encampment this summer as you are not, as yet, a cadet.  For you to attend as a cadet you would need to have to have made certain achievement levels, which I don't believe you would have time to do prior to attending encampment.

I hate to be a wet blanket...but, as I said...take this with a grain of salt.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: DogCollar on May 26, 2010, 05:10:18 PM
I'm not an expert in this, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I believe that you would be ineligible to go to encampment this summer as you are not, as yet, a cadet.  For you to attend as a cadet you would need to have to have made certain achievement levels, which I don't believe you would have time to do prior to attending encampment.

I hate to be a wet blanket...but, as I said...take this with a grain of salt.

He's a senior member...

You don't need to go to encampment at all as a senior member.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

capchiro

I think he WANTS to go to encampent as a senior member.  That being said, most encampments are crying for senior members and may be able to give you a deep discount to get you to go.  Seniors are not as plentiful as cadets for encampments, but you can't run an encampment without seniors.  Check with your encampment commander or even the Wing Commander.  I personally think you are getting in too deep if you are going to do USAC and CAP.  I would go for CAP and get really involved instead of being torn between two priorites..  That is JMHO of course.. (Oh, by the way, you do get a nice encampment ribbon if you attend as a senior).. More bling to fling..(According to John Kerry, brilliant conversationalist from Washington)..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

Quote from: RLM10_2_06 on May 26, 2010, 05:02:23 PM
So, a question; how on earth do CAP members normally pay for encampments?
Via check

I'm a little stuck because cadets normally can get financial aid of some kind if they need it,
Where?  Encampment scholarships and other assistance aren't remotely universal, in most cases it's just mom and dad paying.

but I'm joining both organizations as a Senior Member, so no luck there. Ideas?
Make a choice, this is part of being a grown up.

Further, the chances of your being accepted to staff of an encampment this year are pretty slim, considering you're not even a member yet.  Its already effectively June, and you can't do anything until your membership is cleared and level one complete - if you joined today that's probably July or August at the earliest.  Most summer activities already have their staff in place and are working on training, and beyond "warm body" status, you're not going to know much about CAP to be accepted as a staffer.

Table any thoughts of CAP encampment this year and concentrate on just becoming a member - comments on CS have already indicated you may be reaching too far on this anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

If you don't have the money to pay the cost to go, perhaps you shouldn't be considering taking off a week of work to attend. 

KioGoten

Hmmm... Couldnt he do fundraising to do it?  I dont know the regs on that but I wouldnt think that rundraising would be a bad idea if more than one SM from your squad is going.

Any thoughts on this guys?
Capt Nelson Guadalupe, CAP
SWR-TX-313 Abilene Squadron
2LT Texas Guard
Midland Medical Division

RLM10_2_06

Leeeet me clarify a few things...

1) I'll be a Senior Member in both organizations; in USAC, encampments are all but required, and in CAP, I'd just like to get involved as staff.

2) Not working right now, so the time slot is free, the issue is money.

3) CAP encampments I know look very unrealistic, so right now my focus is to raise money for the USAC encampment, which is mandatory.
-Senior Member, CAP
Former C/PVT, AROTC
Former C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Former C/2LT, AJROTC

Eclipse

Go to USAC, if that is important to you.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

I would strongly recommend against joining both organizations at about the same time.  Pick the one you think you'll like best and join it.  Then, wait a year or so until you're settled in the first organization (assuming you're still in it) before joining the other. 

smitjud

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower