Main Menu

Joining

Started by ryecarrac, May 24, 2010, 07:00:40 PM

BradM

I looked on another new members page in my squadron on eServices to see what he is completing. He joined 4 months earlier than I. I have already done the OPS-OPSEC and the EO. I see he has "Foundations". What is this?

And, for the cadet protection, I can do this online then bring the test results in to the squadron commander to review? Will doing this online test automatically have it updated to my profile like the EO did? or does that happen after I go over it with the commander?

Thank you! :)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

a2capt

"Foundations" means that Level 1, CPPT and OPSEC have been completed. Once all of your prerequisites are recorded, your training record will reflect "Foundations" as well.

..and yes, once your CPPT is ratified by the CC, you'll get that credit as well.

spacecommand

Foundations Course and CPPT are done at the unit level.
Once completed your unit commander/PD officer etc will review CPPT with you and discuss various scenarios (eg "what would you do in this situation?") and answer any questions you would have.  Once completed, they will file a CAPF 11 with NHQ stating your completion of CPPT and Foundations course.

All covered here:
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations.cfm

EMT-83

Why do squadrons make things so difficult for new members?

How about a "Welcome to CAP" package that explains all this stuff and how to get it done?

SarDragon

A couple of things here:

Level I is an umbrella title that covers:
Foundations Course
CPPT
OPSEC
EO training

@EMT-83 - the Great Start Handbook pretty well covers all of that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

Both Great Start and Fast Start have good information for new members, but neither explain how to complete the training required for Level 1 or even where to find the information.

Short Field

Level I is completed and recorded in eServices when the Summary Conversation has been conducted and the Fm 11 submitted to National.  You need to be talking to your Professional Development Officer and Squadron Commander.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

BradM

Quote from: EMT-83 on August 27, 2010, 06:15:23 PM

How about a "Welcome to CAP" package that explains all this stuff and how to get it done?

This morning I received this email 10 days after my dues checked was cashed. So CAP NHQ does send something :)

"Welcome to CAP! Your CAP membership materials were shipped today via Media mail. If you have not received them within two weeks, please contact us at mailroom@capnhq.gov . Thank you."
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BradM on August 30, 2010, 05:28:27 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on August 27, 2010, 06:15:23 PM

This morning I received this email 10 days after my dues checked was cashed. So CAP NHQ does send something :)

"Welcome to CAP! Your CAP membership materials were shipped today via Media mail. If you have not received them within two weeks, please contact us at mailroom@capnhq.gov . Thank you."

I'd be all up for:

Digital Delivery.
Priority Mail - Add $5 to the membership...

Media Mail is so slow, its ridiculous.

SarDragon

Most of the stuff I've sent and received via Media Mail in the last few years has taken a week or less to get delivered.

Size matters; larger packages take longer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 30, 2010, 07:34:00 PM
Most of the stuff I've sent and received via Media Mail in the last few years has taken a week or less to get delivered.

Size matters; larger packages take longer.

One book (like on Amazon from 3rd party sellers), will be fine. Sending anything larger than a 3/4" thick envelope can take 2+ weeks.

BradM

I'm thinking I will get some CAP pamphlets and the CAP binder that zips up.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

vmstan

You are correct. As well as your CAP library card.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

BradM

I rec'd my Getting Started materials yesterday :)  How long does it take to get your plastic membership card? Will Air Force bases allow you to come on base to purchase a uniform with the temporary paper ID card? Or must I have the permanent plastic ID card? Thanks.
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

Short Field

It is a CAP membership card - not a Identification Card.  You will need a picture ID card (drivers license) plus your membership card to get on base.  You should be able to get on with the  temporary membership card.  Some gate guards mistake the CAP picture membership card as a ID card and will allow you on base.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Fubar

Quote from: BradM on September 08, 2010, 05:24:08 PM
I rec'd my Getting Started materials yesterday :)  How long does it take to get your plastic membership card? Will Air Force bases allow you to come on base to purchase a uniform with the temporary paper ID card? Or must I have the permanent plastic ID card? Thanks.
Depends on the base. Some bases require you to pre-arrange your visit through your chain of command so that you're name will be on a list at the guard gate. Other bases will simply accept your CAP ID and your driver's license.

spacecommand

The best thing to do is check if your local base has a CAP squadron and ask them,  if not, contact the base and ask them about the procedures to use the shop.  Each base is different on how CAP members get on.

BradM

Anyone in So. Calif. ever go to March Air Reserve Base in Riverside?
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

BradM

After looking at my new materials I rec'd yesterday. I was thinking the Cadet Officers shoulder boards look better than the Senior epaulets :) Too bad we Seniors cant use the Cadet Officer shoulder boards with metal Air Force officer insignia ;)
Finance Officer
La Verne, CA

spacecommand

Quote from: BradM on September 08, 2010, 09:53:24 PM
After looking at my new materials I rec'd yesterday. I was thinking the Cadet Officers shoulder boards look better than the Senior epaulets :) Too bad we Seniors cant use the Cadet Officer shoulder boards with metal Air Force officer insignia ;)

Regular epaulets, <$8 , shoulder boards >$29.