Main Menu

Should I buy a Radio?

Started by Raja1020, May 23, 2010, 06:48:31 PM

Raja1020

I wanted to know if I should buy a Radio? If I did could i go on the Civil Air Patrol net?

Eclipse

The first thing you need to do is complete CAP radio operator's training which will answer most of your other questions
about radio ops and whether you should buy a compliant radio.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Simply put, no.  The new compliant radios are very expensive.  If your chain of command feels you need one, they will issue it to you after you have completed your training.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CAP.is.1337

If you want to participate in the CAP Communications Program, than I am of the opinion that you should buy your own radio. CAP issuable handhelds, mobiles, and HF radios are a finite supply, and your squadron/group/wing may not have one available to just another cadet who's interested in signing onto nets.

Also, a compliant radio is not expensive at all if you're willing to be patient and know where to look for deals. I've scored compliant HT1000 handhelds for well under $100, and one along with a full compliment of batteries and accessories can be easily had for $150-200.

However, before you shell out your hard earned money, you need to complete the Advanced Radio Operator course and exam. Talk with your Communications Officer, or if you don't have one your ES officer or Squadron Commander should be able to point you in the right direction regarding who to talk to.
1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

Al Sayre

I guess expensive is relative.  A new hand held or mobile will run around $1600.00.  If you decide to sell it, you might be able to get $1000 at best.  Buy a used one on ebay at your own peril, most sellers don't know what is and isn't compliant.  Caveat Emptor.  But hey, what do I know, I'm just the guy that has to sign for them...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

CAP.is.1337

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 23, 2010, 07:38:26 PM
I guess expensive is relative.  A new hand held or mobile will run around $1600.00.  If you decide to sell it, you might be able to get $1000 at best.  Buy a used one on ebay at your own peril, most sellers don't know what is and isn't compliant.  Caveat Emptor.  But hey, what do I know, I'm just the guy that has to sign for them...

If you're buying a new radio, than you've got much more $$$ than I! The new radio I've been eying is about $6000 with a nice flash and a few extra batteries. For me, its all about finding deals on used radios. HT1000 for under $100 and a MT2000 for $130. In fact, I just bought an EFJohnson 5100 w/full keypad LNIB for $140. Its all about being in the right place at the right time.

1st Lt Anthony Rinaldi
Byrd Field Composite Squadron – Virginia Wing

Earhart Award: 14753
Mitchell Award: 55897
Wright Bros Award: 3634

MIKE

I had a handheld WIWAC.  It only cost me $150.  I only really used it to check into the net, and to run net control occasionally.  This was when more people had radios, so the nets were more active.  A couple of times it came in handy, but most of the time there was already a radio for me to use, and mine stayed in my LBE.

When the new stuff came out, the cost made it real easy for me to decide I didn't need another one.
Mike Johnston

♠SARKID♠

Having your own radios has its advantages and disadvantages.  The reason that I have my own is so that I'm not responsible for CAP property when I'm using commo.  I've seen the aftermath of an EF Johnson being run over by a semi truck (forgotten on top of a vehicle) and I was glad that I wasn't the one standing tall before the man when responsibility was placed.  Of course it all comes at a price of a few hundred dollars.

RADIOMAN015

You can probably get a new handheld NFM only (not digital P25 CAI) for around $300.00 to include the programming.   I would work on your B/A cuts and also on getting your technical class ham license.  The reason being you could buy a compliant handheld radio with a very large channel/memory and also have programmed in amateur radio repeater frequencies for your area as well as the common CAP simplex as well as repeater channels for your area.  Therefore, you get better usage of the radio by being able to use it both for CAP and amateur radio (but no amateur radio usage while on an AF mission).   BTW amateur radio transceivers don't meet the technical standards, you will need to get a commercial grade radio and it is best to check with the Communications Officer to ensure it meets the technical standards BEFORE you buy it.   
RM

Raja1020

Thanks guys for all your advice, so far I've completed a-cut and b-cut of communications, ill take the  other exams and courses then ill start thinking about a radio,
and I'm DEFINATELY going for used