Approving authority for personnel actions of squadron commanders?

Started by Pylon, May 13, 2010, 09:20:22 PM

Pylon

I remember seeing something on this topic in recent NB or NEC minutes, but I can't find anything in the actual regulations about this.   Who's the approving authority for personnel actions for squadron commanders, when the normal approving authority for that action is the squadron?

Logic would dictate the next higher echelon becomes the approving authority, but that's not anywhere in the regulations that I can find.

For example, let's say you're the PDO for a squadron (or even for Group HQ) and a squadron commander is due to be put in for his or her Level II/Certificate of Proficiency.  CAPR 50-17 indicates the squadron commander is the approving authority.  So... can that action be initiated at Group HQ and submitted to NHQ with the Group/CC's signature?  (Because technically the squadron commander is not a member assigned to the Group/CC's own unit even though the Group/CC directly supervises the Sq/CC).  Or should the form be initiated by the squadron PDO?  And if it's still initiated at the squadron, does the squadron commander sign his or her own personnel action approval?

Not a huge deal, and reason would dictate to just kick it to the next echelon up the chain, but one of those "gaps" that isn't fully covered in the regs.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

lordmonar

I think the NB is still working it.

IIRC they approved it in concept...but sent it to staff to write the regulation.

Anyone else have any vis on this?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

When I became squadron commander, I asked essentially this question of my group commander. The answer was that he would be the approving authority.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

Anything that the Unit CC would approve of, for others, would be done for themselves by their command. For simplicity of explanation, I say that the Group HQ (or Wing) is just a unit with a bunch of members, (the ones on their PA, not the IAOD), and those people just happen to be CC's of subordinate units.

Al Sayre

We don't have groups, so usually the PDO submits it to me and I forward it to the WG/CC for signature.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Flying Pig

Eclipse

There is some circular logic for operations quals - they go to the unit's ESO, or they did last time it was an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Thats if the CC has actually delegated it to the ESO, thats default, but some just use the ESO as a gateway but still hold approval authority themselves.

I should have said, while one would go to their Group, or Wing (their higher headquarters, their command), that commander has probably delegated their unit ESO, as SOP.