At the risk of being flamed......

Started by Dragon 3-2, May 10, 2010, 05:34:29 PM

Dragon 3-2

Ok I was a wee bored and i got to thinking about how this time last year I was gearing up for the NER cadet competition. It dawned on me, that while you can tell someone who has been on a Drill team or Color guard competition team in their blues via the ribbon and or cord for current teams, there's no way to tell in BDU's unless the wing (like NJ) authorizes a patch were the NCSA ones go.

so I designed this

Green = National Color Guard Competition

Blue = National Drill Team Competition

Red = the passion and energy competitors put into making it to NCC

White = the balanced playing field and fairness of the competition

Dark Blue = the sky and our Air Force Heritage

Gold = the standard competitors are held too

each star represents each of the eight CAP regions

the single white band is representative of the streamers presented to the winners of each competition

now this patch isnt going to add another one to ones uniform, it would go in the same place one would put a COS or NBB patch. it would be awarded to Senior member and cadet staff and competitors at the end of the competition. Now I ask that we keep this strictly to inputs of the design its self, and not turn this into " Patchs are the scum of the earth and we should burn them all" thread, this patch would be no different then any other NCSA activity patch.

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

mynetdude

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on May 10, 2010, 05:34:29 PM
Ok I was a wee bored and i got to thinking about how this time last year I was gearing up for the NER cadet competition. It dawned on me, that while you can tell someone who has been on a Drill team or Color guard competition team in their blues via the ribbon and or cord for current teams, there's no way to tell in BDU's unless the wing (like NJ) authorizes a patch were the NCSA ones go.

so I designed this

Green = National Color Guard Competition

Blue = National Drill Team Competition

Red = the passion and energy competitors put into making it to NCC

White = the balanced playing field and fairness of the competition

Dark Blue = the sky and our Air Force Heritage

Gold = the standard competitors are held too

each star represents each of the eight CAP regions

the single white band is representative of the streamers presented to the winners of each competition

now this patch isnt going to add another one to ones uniform, it would go in the same place one would put a COS or NBB patch. it would be awarded to Senior member and cadet staff and competitors at the end of the competition. Now I ask that we keep this strictly to inputs of the design its self, and not turn this into " Patchs are the scum of the earth and we should burn them all" thread, this patch would be no different then any other NCSA activity patch.

Nice design really, and I know you'll get flamed not by me but I'll tell you the truth I would not wear that patch even if I had to so thank God I am not a cadet :P

davidsinn

I think you're on the right track but it's a bit busy. Maybe change the bird in the middle to just a single color? I'd also change the stars to a solid gold color. Other than that it looks pretty good.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mynetdude

Quote from: davidsinn on May 10, 2010, 05:54:57 PM
I think you're on the right track but it's a bit busy. Maybe change the bird in the middle to just a single color? I'd also change the stars to a solid gold color. Other than that it looks pretty good.

change the bird to black or dark blue (cobalt or royal blue too) I noticed you have two colors for the star, light and dark gold use the lighter gold and get rid of the dark ones :)

lordmonar

Loose the red, whit and blue in the NCC on the bird.....too busy.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

raivo

Nicely done! I couldn't design any sort of artwork to save my life.

But I do agree with everyone else - lose some of the color.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SarDragon

Change the interior shield around the prop to a circle, to match our insignia.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Bayareaflyer 44

Not flaming here, but, I just don't think the BDU - which is a field utility uniform - needs to be used to show case nonfunctional achievements "un-field" related. 
Now, I say this as a very proud former Drill Team member and Commander that made several trips to NCC, but I think the NCC ribbon and the shoulder cords on the blues should pretty much say it all, and leave the BDUs to simply be functional utility that they are. 
That said, nice job!

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

Eclipse

Way too busy.

Should not be a shield - NCC is not an HQ Component - should be a disk with rockers.

Should be single color field - standard USAF blue for background.

NCC insignia one color - white.

Stars one color - white

If keeping the shield, fix the scroll.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

I agree with everything Bob said.

Additionaly, as the NCC Public Affairs Officer, I have to ask one obvious question: why does a utility uniform need to show participation at the National Competition when there is no identification in the lower echelons?

If someone can convince me that we do, then I would think a simple implementation of the NCC shield would suffice.

Eclipse

A good point.

An argument could be made for making NCC a separate charter like NESA, in which case an edge-cut patch of the
NCC insignia would be worn in the unit place by NCC permanent staff, but then where would they where it?

Is there any place operationally that BDU's are ever worn in connection with NCC?

I assume the proposal would be to wear this in the NCSA place, but the ribbon is enough.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluelakes 13

Only staff wear BDUs at NCC, and usually only cadet staff, but operations directors may chose to do so also.  Judges, PA, etc that have heavy interaction with the teams, USAF and/or distinquished guests do not wear BDUs.

JC004

Wings can authorize activity patches?

My first thought was the same as most...there is A LOT of color.  Make it simple.

RiverAux

Agree with the other points about the design and I'm not sure I like the shield within the shield either (the CAP command patch within the overall patch). 

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2010, 08:44:09 PM
Is there any place operationally that BDU's are ever worn in connection with NCC?

Well, we used to wear the old green pickle suits for practices. BDUs have a lot of issues that make them less than ideal for DT practices, though.

As for the patch here. I'm not against there being an NCC patch, but I would like to see it cleaned up with the colors as it seems to clash a bit.

Steven-
I'm curious which patch NJWG is authorizing for DT now- ARETE? ADAMAS? or some sort of generic DT patch?

(Proud former member, NJDDT)
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

JC004

I'm not really sure about a shield either, but a lot of activity patches are shields already.

Dragon 3-2

Thanks guys for the input, and the non flaming :)

This is the current NJWG DDT patch

the color guard has the same patch but with its green ribbon instead

as for  the colors looking at it now do think its a wee bit busy so ill correct that after finals. I used the shield design since that's what all the other NCSA's use for theirs.

and for justification, I think having a BDU patch for NCC is on par with having a COS, NBB, AFSUPT-FC, and all those other NCSA's patches to show what the wearer has done in the program, that may not be good enough to get it made but my 2 cents

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

The CyBorg is destroyed

Nice crest.

Can you do it in subdued? ;D

No, seriously, it looks good.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Bluelakes 13

I didn't want to sound like squashing creativity, but since the patch would have to be included in 39-1 (ultimately), thus a reg change (or ICL) be needed.  So your Wing CC would need to bring it up at the next NB meeting.  Then Gen. Courter would probably give it to the National CP Lead, Curt Lafond, for recommendation.  He would probably give it to the NCC Director, Roger Middleton, who in turn may ask me for my suggestions.    The comments would be included in the NB Agenda for vote.

I would suggest taking the NCC shield and putting in on a simple grey background, much like the NHS patch.

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: Dragon 3-2 on May 11, 2010, 01:10:07 AM
the color guard has the same patch but with its green ribbon instead

What do you mean?  The patch has a cord pic in it?  On  the dragon?  Do you have a photo of that patch?