Recruitment Hold-up, possible new cadet with disability, (like me)

Started by Daniel, May 01, 2010, 05:20:19 AM

Daniel

Recruitment hold-up:

I have a prospect in the same boat I'm in, can barely walk and has no future in the military. He wants to know how cap will benefit him for his future more then just a scholarship.. Any ideas? As i know cap is geared-toward the able-bodied.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

a2capt

There are waivers for things when applicable, though mostly used for PT reasons. 

As for how CAP will benefit him for more than just a scholarship?

First off, scholarships are not guaranteed benefits anyway. So get over that one now.

Secondly, you get out of it what you put into it, and you, yourself should know this all too well.

CAP helps build character, gives many educational opportunities that you just can't find and best of all, the price simply can not be beat.

..and there you go, someone you can mentor, and you benefit from it too. Come on now..

FARRIER

Quote from: Daniel L on May 01, 2010, 05:20:19 AM
Recruitment hold-up:

I have a prospect in the same boat I'm in, can barely walk and has no future in the military. He wants to know how cap will benefit him for his future more then just a scholarship.. Any ideas? As i know cap is geared-toward the able-bodied.

I think your friend will benefit greatly from the program. Check PM
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

raivo

The things you learn in CAP about leadership will serve you extremely well anywhere you choose to take them.

I minored in management in college, and several times I remember knowing the answer to a test question because I'd learned it in CAP.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

wingnut55

Being a cadet is about having friends just like you, aviation minded, space nuts, rocket weirdo's, learning about history, doing things that other kids can't imagine. Being treated like an adult during missions. e spirit de corp.

Sorry I digress

Mitchell 1971

mynetdude

real life experiences, a place where you can learn without fear of reprisal from failures (at least that's what its supposed to be about at CAP).

Майор Хаткевич

We took a DISC test recently in a class, and my "D", which is to say "Forceful Personality, Authoritative (in a good way), Strong willed, confident, leader not a follower" came out to the 97th % as what >I< think, and 99th % as what I actually am.

Where am I going with this? This is a communication/public speaking class, and I neither fear to stand up in front of the class crowd or take the leadership role on projects BECAUSE of CAP.

It has nothing to do with how I did on PT, or how many finds I had on ES missions, it has everything to do with the leadership experiences I had as well as the educational curriculum within the cadet program.

Star-Maker

Seems to me like there's plenty to do in CAP that doesn't require walking, even aside from the excellent leadership training that cadets get.

Let's see, there's aerospace education/model rocketry.  There's some career counseling in aerospace careers.  There's public speaking training (something people who learn it as kids will be glad to have as adults - most adults are terrible public speakers).

And there's ES missions.  Obviously, for those who can't really walk, the roles are limited.  But they are there!  A cadet in a wheelchair, or using braces and a cane, or whatever this person's particular situation is, can still operate a radio at the mission base, be a staff assistant, or participate in CISM.
"The star-maker says 'It ain't so bad.'" - The Killers

GTL, GTM1, UDF, MRO

CUL(T), MS(T), MSA(T)