Credentialed diplomat stopped by Air Marshals attempted to ignite a shoe bomb.

Started by cap235629, April 08, 2010, 03:17:53 AM

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

cap235629

This is an ongoing story.  In the time it took me to post this the page was updated to reflect that no explosives were found and the guy may have been joking.  Wouldn't have been so funny if the Air Marshal had "subdued" him with a couple of slugs from a sig.......
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

PHall

His next flight will be him getting expelled from the country. Not exactly the conduct we expect from other countries diplomats... :clap:

dbaran

I hope that someone lights a fire under the State Department and they make this guy a shoe-in for expulsion. 

SarDragon

Quote from: dbaran on April 08, 2010, 03:38:33 AM
I hope that someone lights a fire under the State Department and they make this guy a shoe-in for expulsion.

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSsss...   :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cecil DP

Quote from: cap235629 on April 08, 2010, 03:21:46 AM
This is an ongoing story.  In the time it took me to post this the page was updated to reflect that no explosives were found and the guy may have been joking.  Wouldn't have been so funny if the Air Marshal had "subdued" him with a couple of slugs from a sig.......

The cops here in Jacksonville are known for being quick to shoot, reroute the plane to JAX.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Jerry Jacobs

QuoteNews Alert
from The Wall Street Journal

Federal air marshals Wednesday night detained a passenger who allegedly caused a disturbance on a United Airlines flight from Washington, D.C.,  to Denver.

Initial reports from passengers said the man, a Qatar embassy official, may have tried to light his shoe on fire. But U.S. officials cautioned that the initial reports may have been a misunderstanding.

Two officials say the misunderstanding may have arisen after the man attempted to smoke a cigarette in a bathroom and was discovered. Crew members reported smoke. The air marshal on the flight detained the man out of fear that he may have been trying to light his shoe on fire, these officials said.

Agents in their initial investigation didn't find explosives, these officials said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303720604575170782548607698.html?mod=djemalertNEWS

Smithsonia

I am in Denver. We like to have one of these incidences every other week or so. We are subject to suspected drunks, lame jokesters, merry prangsters, and undiplomatic tobacco slaves - rather frequently these days. "By the way, I gotta take a smoking break and get some air" (which is a wonderful oxymoron).
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

spacecommand

Breaking news gotta love it.  Things usually go like this:
"SANTA CLAUSE IS REAL" to --> "SANTA CLAUSE POSSIBLY SIGHTED" to --> "MAN IN RED T-SHIRT ROBS 7-11".

Any case I wouldn't be "surprised" if you saw the TSA do this next:

"TSA bans cigarettes from airplanes" even though smoking isn't allowed, I don't think bringing cigarettes on-board was ever a problem, though there might be a lot of resistance from the airlines especially if you fly a lot on international flights and see all the duty free sales conducted on board.

Also you might see in the news: "TSA bans bringing lighters on-board (again), it wasn't allowed, it was allowed back on again, not it will probably be not allowed again."

One news reporter called the 757 a "jumbo jet"...

vmstan

I don't see any logical reason to bring cigarettes or a lighter on a flight. Check them with your bag, you can't use them at any point after the security checkin, so why even carry them? When you get your bags after the flight, then go outside.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

spacecommand

Not everyone likes to checks luggage, I don't smoke, but I don't like to check luggage either, I want to be off the plane and on my way instead of waiting forever at the luggage carousel or dealing with "customer service" when the luggage ends up in Antarctica either.  Though with airlines charging up the ying yang now for everything like spirit airlines charging 45bux for carryons @_@....

Though I understand what you mean, there's no real good reason to have lighters on board.  Though as I mentioned international flights make a hefty amount of money with duty free sales of cigarettes etc. 

wuzafuzz

Bring your "farmacists" note allowing medical marijuana and necessary accessories.   That get out of jail free card prescription is like a force field against The Man!  >:D

I'm surprised lighters are allowed now.  A cabin fire at altitude doesn't sound good at all!
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Lord

I guess many people here don't remember when smoking on flights was permitted, and to the best of my knowledge, smoking never brought down a flight  ( of course, how we we know?) It is irritating, I will give you that. Every smoker is a potential terrorist.......

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

tdepp

Quote from: Smithsonia on April 08, 2010, 08:06:25 AM
I am in Denver. We like to have one of these incidences every other week or so. We are subject to suspected drunks, lame jokesters, merry prangsters, and undiplomatic tobacco slaves - rather frequently these days. "By the way, I gotta take a smoking break and get some air" (which is a wonderful oxymoron).
The following would be more accurate: "By the way, I gotta take a smoking break and get some carbon monoxide."  ::)
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

PHall

Quote from: Major Lord on April 08, 2010, 06:18:50 PM
I guess many people here don't remember when smoking on flights was permitted, and to the best of my knowledge, smoking never brought down a flight  ( of course, how we we know?) It is irritating, I will give you that. Every smoker is a potential terrorist.......

Major Lord

Guess you never heard about the 747 flight to Mecca that almost had a major cabin fire because the passengers tried to light a fire to cook their meal.
From all reports this was the first time most of the passengers had ever been in an airplane. Some had never been in a bus even.
IIRC this happened in the mid to late 70's.

tdepp

Guess you never heard about the 747 flight to Mecca that almost had a major cabin fire because the passengers tried to light a fire to cook their meal.
From all reports this was the first time most of the passengers had ever been in an airplane. Some had never been in a bus even.
IIRC this happened in the mid to late 70's.
I also think it was an episode of the Beverly Hillbillies in the 1960s.  Seriously.  Or something along the same lines.  They took out the seats and put in benches.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

jimmydeanno

Quote from: PHall on April 08, 2010, 06:50:17 PM

Doesn't "almost had" mean "didn't have?"  Or was it one of those cases where they lit it and someone got it under control before it became tragic?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spike

How can we be sure this guy was not a terrorist.  The State Department would do and say anything to keep Qatar as a "friend". 

lordmonar

Quote from: Spike on April 08, 2010, 07:51:55 PM
How can we be sure this guy was not a terrorist.  The State Department would do and say anything to keep Qatar as a "friend".
How do we know that you are not an FBI informant trying get infiltrate the CAP militia?  ;D

I think we have to at least give our government some creditability that if this guy was a documented diplomat then he in fact was.

Let's leave the conspiracy theories at the door please...it's bad enough as it is.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Major Lord

Never having played horseshoes, I cannot speak to "almost" actually counting.(It does count with hand grenades)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."