Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 23, 2019, 07:15:51 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: WWII-era members
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print
Author Topic: WWII-era members  (Read 1456 times)
CAP428
Seasoned Member

« on: November 11, 2006, 06:21:13 PM »

My dad recently told me he thought that my grandfather was in Civil Air Patrol during the early years of World War II (probably between 1941-1943) before joining the Army Air Corps.  He was a private pilot and owned a plane before joining the service.  Does anyone know of a way I can find out if this is the case?  Does NHQ or anyone have a record of early CAP members?  Thanks.
Report to moderator   Logged
RiverAux
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:40:35 PM »

I wouldn't hold out a whole lot of hope.  If he participated in the coastal patrol program there is a chance he is mentioned in some publications.
fyrfitrmedic
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:34:10 AM »

CAP's recordkeeping throughout its history is unfortunately erratic at best.

We had a member from the early days whose own recordkeeping was better than NHQ's, which worked out well for him when he returned to the organization after a hiatus of several years.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn
CAP428
Seasoned Member

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »

I wouldn't hold out a whole lot of hope.  If he participated in the coastal patrol program there is a chance he is mentioned in some publications.

Oh.  Do you knowof any publications such as these where that might be a possibility?
BillB
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 09:45:42 PM »

The book "From Maine to Mexico" has a fairly complete list of those that served in the Coastal Patrol and a few other mission. I believe it's available from the CAP Historical Museum
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104
Pages: [1] Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Membership  |  Topic: WWII-era members