Main Menu

Schools

Started by juicedude10, March 19, 2010, 09:51:51 PM

juicedude10

What kind of schools are offered for CAP? Like I know theres that Hawk Mtn. one, and isn't that a medic school? What else is there?

SarDragon

As has been previously explained, CAP doesn't use "medics" internally, so there would be little use for a medic school. CAP members aren't allowed to do anything beyond basic first aid, in their capacity as CAP members. People using higher level training in an emergency situation is a grey area, and far beyond the scope of this discussion.

As someone who is just a prospective member, I suggest that you find a local unit and check it out for a couple of meeting before you get too worked up over things that you probably won't be able to participate in for the first few months you are a member.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

juicedude10

Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2010, 11:25:10 PM
As has been previously explained, CAP doesn't use "medics" internally, so there would be little use for a medic school. CAP members aren't allowed to do anything beyond basic first aid, in their capacity as CAP members. People using higher level training in an emergency situation is a grey area, and far beyond the scope of this discussion.

As someone who is just a prospective member, I suggest that you find a local unit and check it out for a couple of meeting before you get too worked up over things that you probably won't be able to participate in for the first few months you are a member.

i know that, but what are they offering?

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JayT

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 19, 2010, 09:51:51 PM
What kind of schools are offered for CAP? Like I know theres that Hawk Mtn. one, and isn't that a medic school? What else is there?

Also, if you're really intresting in 'medic' stuff, considering seeing if your local ambulance corps, rescue squad, or fire department has an Explorer post or Juniors group. Many states will allow you to traing as a Certified First Responder at age 16, and as a Emergency Medical Technican Basic at 18.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you're not going to be rolling out of bed, pulling a flight suit on, and jumping out of an airplane to preform shock stablization protocols and jabbing needles into people as a CAP cadet. You can, however, learn a bunch more then your friends and contempories about maturity, how to lead, manage, and supervise people, how to hike around the woods and navigate with a map and compass, how to use a radio, how to keep a level head when things start to go sour, and a whole buncha other stuff.
Go do your local unit, and see what you think. I know that CAP was one of the biggest influences in my high school and early college years, and let me (in)directly to being the suavae, dashing, talented professional ambulance dude I am today.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

juicedude10

thanks alot.  This helped alot, and if someone sends me another message saying "alot" is not a word, i know that, but I still don't care and I'll use alot as much as I want, so I'll use it alot.

Senior

If you know you are spelling a word wrong, then WHY do you keep
spelling it wrong?  That is illogical, right? :o

DC

^^Seriously? You are going to deliberately misspell a word, simply because you are too lazy to make one keystroke?

Wrong attitude, dude...

Flying Pig

Especially for a cadet.

Pylon

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 20, 2010, 12:03:26 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 19, 2010, 11:25:10 PM

i know that, but what are they offering?

There is a "medic course" at Hawk Mountain, since you asked.  Information about the medic course at Hawk can be found here: http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/the_medics.htm   

But the application of the skills you learn there are extremely limited in CAP, as several posters have already mentioned above.  In other words, there's no place or use for a squadron medic in CAP.  You won't be carrying a big bag of medical gear around with you to everything and responding to medical emergencies.  CAP encourages and teaches first aid, CPR, etc. -- but generally only so you can be safe in case an accident happens until professional help can arrive.  CAP isn't a first responder agency and does not provide medical care in any form.  The best you could hope to do at your squadron would be to help others learn first aid, CPR, AED use, etc. through certified classes or help your squadron arrange such training.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

juicedude10

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: juicedude10 on March 20, 2010, 01:16:13 PM
thanks alot.  This helped alot, and if someone sends me another message saying "alot" is not a word, i know that, but I still don't care and I'll use alot as much as I want, so I'll use it alot.

Oh wow...at 13 I honestly expected more...

My 7 year old autistic sister doesn't even pull crap like that.