Main Menu

Should I join again?

Started by Old_CAP, March 16, 2010, 11:04:28 PM

Old_CAP

Greetings:

I raised my right hand and was sworn in on 1 May 57 at 1930hrs in Waukesha, WI as a cadet.

I did 3 years as a cadet, before going off to college at the U of MN.

While there, I was a Senior Member in the University Sq.

Did the search for the B-47 that went down at Comfrey.

I stayed there until I left for California in '64, where I was in the Santa Monica Sq.

Quit when I went on active duty with the Navy. When I was stationed at Norfolk NAS for a summer, I worked with the local Sq. there.

Came back to MN, and was in the North Hennepin Sq. for a couple more years.

Now, at 68, retired from the MN-ARNG after 24 years service, I'm now in the local CERT (Civil Emergency Response Team).

I find that CAP is also involved in the FEMA Incident system.

I'm wondering if I should consider joining the local Sq. since CAP and CERT are doing similar tasks and are taking the same classes.

I'm wondering if I would be bringing anything of benefit to the Sq? Or should just I forget it?

Honest responses appreciated.

IceNine

Honest Response.

Stop by the local unit and see if they are involved in the things you are interested in.

They may well not be an "ES Unit".

In my area ops tempo is slow at best so you may not see as many real world missions as you're used to.  And you will likely be leaned on to teach at regular intervals.  But I'm sure you're familiar with the concept.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Flying Pig

What can it hurt to go by a local Sq and see what they are up to?  If you havn't been involved with CAP since the 60's you probably wont recognize much of it.  If you re-up, and after a year decide you dont like it, let your membership go and fade away.

Seabee219

If you are like me and want to keep helping why not. I like being in uniform and I do it for the cadets. I also am a navy vet of over 15 years.  CAP to me is a great way to still serve my city and country and I like to think that I make a difference in my squadron.  So, stop by and check it out again.  good luck to you

CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

vmstan

I don't think anyone here is going to tell you not to join CAP :)
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RiverAux

It really all is about what your local unit is doing and whether that matches your interests. 

Flying Pig

Quote from: Marshalus on March 18, 2010, 04:31:17 AM
I don't think anyone here is going to tell you not to join CAP :)

Run Forrest RUN!! >:D

flyboy53

Please do...but just be prepared that it's not the same CAP that you once knew.

GoofyOne

Custer

"I stayed there until I left for California in '64, where I was in the Santa Monica Sq."

Interesting - I was in that same squadron from 83-91 when I went inactive.  And i also am considering picking it back up.

Pumbaa

Cool.. I'm at NAS Norfolk now...