Fake CAP insignia on eBay

Started by alamrcn, March 01, 2010, 09:26:46 PM

alamrcn

I know some of you type in "Civil Air Patrol" occasionally on eBay.

Have you seen the CAP items being sold by "freedomfifty2k" in the last two months?

http://myworld.ebay.com/freedomfifty2k/

The seller's name is Robert "Bob" Lafond, and he's in the Philippines. He's been making and selling "one-off" replicas and fake Civil Air Patrol patches and cloth insignia. And seeing some of the items he's chosen, I am certain that he's getting the designs from the CAP Patches website.

I submitted a claim to eBay for 10 of the auctions about a week ago, claiming he was selling copies of items from copyrighted images, and selling them as authentic. eBay has done nothing so far, and he continues to put up new items.

How can I get National legal on this guy?

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

AdAstra

Ace,

I've seen freedomfifty2k's offerings, and even bought one. When I received it, I definitely considered it a local reproduction. For one, the size did not match an authentic patch I have.

I eventually ended up laughing at all his camo reproductions of full-color squadron patches. To my knowledge, none of the CAWG unit patches that he's offering have been made or worn in camo.

Copyright violation? What squadron bothers to copyright their patch design?
Charles Wiest

Eclipse

Is that where all the subdued fakes are coming from?  I was wondering.

Somebody bought an embroidery machine...

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Attempts have been made to get a C&D to this person. The problem that arises is that we cant get a definative lock on the location for mail. This type of thing has fallen on death ears. CAP has made attempts in the past with this one and several others. He is in the Phillipines and we have had no luck. We did succeed with a company on ebay "USNUSA" who was selling repro Observer Wings and Pilot Wings with a vintage style. They show up every once and a while.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

♠SARKID♠

I'm quite amused at the subdued NBB patch.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that patch should be four inches across.

raivo

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Eclipse

Quote from: caphistorian on March 01, 2010, 10:14:55 PM
Attempts have been made to get a C&D to this person. The problem that arises is that we cant get a definative lock on the location for mail. This type of thing has fallen on death ears. CAP has made attempts in the past with this one and several others. He is in the Phillipines and we have had no luck. We did succeed with a company on ebay "USNUSA" who was selling repro Observer Wings and Pilot Wings with a vintage style. They show up every once and a while.

ooooo! I've been looking for a set of those.  I better watch where I buy them.  It never occurred to me someone would make fake vintage
wings.

"That Others May Zoom"

vmstan

Yeah it seems really strange that anyone would take the time to rip off CAP logos, patches, wings, etc. Seems like there would only be a small market of people interested in them from which to scam... compared to say, more general military members/enthusiasts.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

Mustang

On the other hand, stuff like the Castle Valley Sq patch he has listed, was never produced in an embroidered version, so his version is an enhancement; the original was screen printed!

Now if we could get him to produce one-offs of OUR choosing, THAT might be worthwhile, eh Ace?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Eclipse

Quote from: alamrcn on March 01, 2010, 09:26:46 PM
The seller's name is Robert "Bob" Lafond, and he's in the Philippines.

Couldn't Curt just ask his cousin to "knock it off"?   ;D

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

I wonder if this guy will start making more patches now that the Hock had to stop selling CAP stuff,  Idea ...............TOM SHOULD MOVE THE HOCK SHOP TO CANADA!!!!!!!!!! :clap
[darn]atio memoriae

sarmed1

cant wait to see this one show up somewhere nearby.......

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Майор Хаткевич

Since the company I work for sells quite a bit of our motorcycle tools on eBay, the best way to get it pulled is for National to contact eBay about the issue. In fact, they can NARU the seller completely.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2010, 10:41:44 PM
ooooo! I've been looking for a set of those.  I better watch where I buy them.  It never occurred to me someone would make fake vintage
wings.

That begs the question: if someone is creating repros of "historical" insignia (ie. the "droopy" observer/pilot wings), whats the harm?  Its not like CAP has a gigantic stash of these things and they're waiting for the market to peak to unload them.....

I have a set of WWII CAP parachutist wings. Tatooed on my right bicep. 

Is my bicep potentially violating CAP's trademark on a set of insignia that hasn't been worn in about 47 years?

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Major Carrales

Quote from: NIN on March 02, 2010, 03:11:00 AM

You mean to say that is real?!?  Wow!!!  And I thought I was pushing it having a CAP sticker on my car.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 02, 2010, 03:26:41 AM

You mean to say that is real?!?  Wow!!!  And I thought I was pushing it having a CAP sticker on my car.
They did exist, but never officially. They look pretty good though.

Dracosbane

Is it wrong that I want some subdued CAP patches just for the schlitz and giggles?  I'd add them to my collection.

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on March 01, 2010, 10:41:44 PM
wings.

That begs the question: if someone is creating repros of "historical" insignia (ie. the "droopy" observer/pilot wings), whats the harm?  Its not like CAP has a gigantic stash of these things and they're waiting for the market to peak to unload them.....

The main reason I'd want them is the affinity for the history that is likely stored like a battery within the pin.  Otherwise its just a hunk of metal.

Is my bicep potentially violating CAP's trademark on a set of insignia that hasn't been worn in about 47 years?

Well, since it wasn't a real insignia to start with, probably not, though I believe there have been court challenges to
tattoo artists using Mickey Mouse and similar highly-protected trademarks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич