Main Menu

Air University Tests ?

Started by Persona non grata, October 14, 2010, 04:02:38 AM

Persona non grata

Is it ok for a TCO or PDO to keep a Air University test locked up at thier residence?

Thanks
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

Not unless that residence is the test control locker of record.

Tests have a "chain of evidence" and need to be logged, etc.  If the chain is broken or improperly handled that may be considered a compromise.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Under the current rules that test must be given by either  the State Director or a Military Testing Facility, so no local squadron should have possession of an AU exam.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

That's why he stipulated Air University tests.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

Quote from: eaker.cadet on October 14, 2010, 04:02:38 AM
Is it ok for a TCO or PDO to keep a Air University test locked up at thier residence?

Thanks
Quote from: MSG Mac on October 14, 2010, 05:50:25 AM
Under the current rules that test must be given by either  the State Director or a Military Testing Facility, so no local squadron should have possession of an AU exam.
Quote from: Eclipse on October 14, 2010, 06:14:51 AM
^ Only for non-CAP tests.

He did stipulate Air University Tests
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

EMT-83

There are CAP produced AU tests and non-CAP produced AU tests, with different rules.

CAP produced AU tests can be released to a subordinate unit by the Wing TCO. However, test security procedures must still be followed, and that doesn't include being stored at a private residence.

It's all spelled out in CAPR 50-4.

Eclipse

Yep - the disavowed but still required (in some wings) ES Specialty track would be one example of a CAP test administered by Air University
but inventoried through the CAP TCO chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 14, 2010, 12:40:00 PM
There are CAP produced AU tests and non-CAP produced AU tests, with different rules.

CAP produced AU tests can be released to a subordinate unit by the Wing TCO. However, test security procedures must still be followed, and that doesn't include being stored at a private residence.

It's all spelled out in CAPR 50-4.

Yep...sure is.

Quote from: CAPR 50-41-5. Testing Material Storage. All testing materials, regardless of source, will be stored in either (1) a metal filing cabinet equipped with a steel lock bar and a three-combination dial-type padlock, (2) a metal file cabinet equipped with an internal (built-in) combination lock, or (3) an upright safe or vault.
CAPR 50-4 10 MARCH 2010 5
a. Anytime the test material storage container is open, the TCO, TA, or unit commander must be present to prevent test compromise.
b. Materials other than testing materials will not be stored in the testing material storage cabinet.
c. Lock combinations must be changed at least annually or whenever the TCO, TA(s) or unit commander changes. Document lock combination changes on test inventory log.

Does not say anything about where the storage container is located......so the TCO may keep the material locked up in the storage container in their private home.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

^ And many do, by necessity, because the unit does not have permanent facilities.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

If storing testing materials in that manner has been approved (blessed during your last SUI), I would say that you're good to go. Otherwise, you're opening the door for questions on test compromise and, in my opinion, would not be allowed.

lordmonar

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 14, 2010, 04:45:49 PM
If storing testing materials in that manner has been approved (blessed during your last SUI), I would say that you're good to go. Otherwise, you're opening the door for questions on test compromise and, in my opinion, would not be allowed.

How so?

It makes more sense to have the test storage at the same place the tests are sent from wing.

That way they can immediatly be inventoried and stored in the proper approved container.

If the storage container is at some hanger or officer and the tests are sent to the TCO's address as per SOP then the tests are unsucured, until the TCO can get them to the office.

Either way.....the TCO is a position of trust.  He has access to them whether they are at his home or at the office.

Lt Oliv

Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2010, 05:20:46 PM

How so?

It makes more sense to have the test storage at the same place the tests are sent from wing.

That way they can immediatly be inventoried and stored in the proper approved container.

If the storage container is at some hanger or officer and the tests are sent to the TCO's address as per SOP then the tests are unsucured, until the TCO can get them to the office.

Either way.....the TCO is a position of trust.  He has access to them whether they are at his home or at the office.

The issue is not the TCO or their position of trust. The issue is that 50-4 has incredibly specific guidelines for test storage. Tests must be locked up.

In a TCO's private residence, there is no assurance that the tests are being properly kept other than the word of the TCO. With any position of trust, there must be some form of check to ensure our trust is well placed.

If a TCO improperly stores tests at a unit HQ, hopefully someone will notice and action will be taken. If the tests are being stored at their home, well, we just have to hope.

50-4 does not specifically prohibit storing the tests at a private residence, but the rest of the guidelines are pretty clear that test storage is not something to be taken lightly.

Since you have to store it in a metal container, are prohibited from storing anything other than tests in that same container and must regularly change the combination on the lock, I think you are perhaps ignoring the spirit of the guidelines by telling someone they can store these at their residence.

If a unit does not have a permanent HQ, then the tests should be stored at the next highest level that can properly store them.

They don't let the administrators of the SAT, LSAT or GRE take the test home and neither should we.

SarDragon

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 14, 2010, 09:06:21 PM
Since you have to store it in a metal container, are prohibited from storing anything other than tests in that same container and must regularly change the combination on the lock, I think you are perhaps ignoring the spirit of the guidelines by telling someone they can store these at their residence.
I used to have tests at my house in a metal container meeting the specifications, and with one of these on it.

QuoteIf a unit does not have a permanent HQ, then the tests should be stored at the next highest level that can properly store them.
So I'm supposed to drive two hours to Group HQ, get someone else involved to open the building, drive two hours back to administer the test, and repeat to return the test? I don't think so. Even if I take the member with me to administer the test, that's an unsatisfactory way of doing things.

QuoteThey don't let the administrators of the SAT, LSAT or GRE take the test home and neither should we.
Those folks all have "homes". Many units do not.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 14, 2010, 09:06:21 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on October 14, 2010, 05:20:46 PM

How so?

That way they can immediately be inventoried and stored in the proper approved container.

If the storage container is at some hanger or officer and the tests are sent to the TCO's address as per SOP then the tests are unsecured, until the TCO can get them to the office.

The issue is not the TCO or their position of trust. The issue is that 50-4 has incredibly specific guidelines for test storage. Tests must be locked up.

In a TCO's private residence, there is no assurance that the tests are being properly kept other than the word of the TCO. With any position of trust, there must be some form of check to ensure our trust is well placed.

If a TCO improperly stores tests at a unit HQ, hopefully someone will notice and action will be taken. If the tests are being stored at their home, well, we just have to hope.

50-4 does not specifically prohibit storing the tests at a private residence, but the rest of the guidelines are pretty clear that test storage is not something to be taken lightly.

If a unit does not have a permanent HQ, then the tests should be stored at the next highest level that can properly store them.

They don't let the administrators of the SAT, LSAT or GRE take the test home and neither should we.
So....you want to drive 6 hours one way every week we do testing so you can get the test from the wing HQ building?

I understand your concern about accountability.....how do we know the TCO is locking them up?  Well how do we know that any squadron is locking them up?  We ask to the see to container.  The TCO lets you see it.  It is that simple.  If he does not let you see it then you fail the squadron for test security.

As for being able to double check to see if it is stored properly........well if it at the squadron office with lots of public access then you want to make sure it is locked at all times.....so no one goes in and steals a test.  But at private residence....if the TCO forgets to lock the file up......we are protected by the fact that no one normally has access to the private home....and the TCO would be there to supervise anyone.

As for the LSAT, SAT, ACT comparison......when they start paying our TCO's and providing our squadrons with per manant/securable facilities....then maybe you would have a point.

EMT-83

Anyone else want to share how they handle test security in a non-traditional (for lack of a better term) setting? Any issues with SUI or other problems that have come up?

lordmonar

We are lucky...we have permanant facilities.  There are three other squadrons that are more or less run out of the back of their commander's car.

The tests are stored in a portable filing cabenit with a pad lock.  TCO takes them home when not needed.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 14, 2010, 11:57:14 PM
Anyone else want to share how they handle test security in a non-traditional (for lack of a better term) setting? Any issues with SUI or other problems that have come up?

There's no issue here - as long as the container is used only for tests, and has a combo lock which is changed as mandated, you've complied with the letter and the spirit.

Just as a point, though, SUI's don't dictate the program, our regulations and command directives do.  The SUI is simply a checklist of regulations that indicate the bare minimum to comply.  If you have an issue, it is not an "SUI" issue, it is a regulatory one - and one that needs to be addressed more frequently than every 2-3 years.

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

Other than during an SUI, when would the next higher echelon review test security? If there is a compliance issue, I'm guessing it would most likely appear during an SUI.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how folks operate without a fixed facility. I never really thought about it.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 15, 2010, 01:38:46 AM
Other than during an SUI, when would the next higher echelon review test security? If there is a compliance issue, I'm guessing it would most likely appear during an SUI.

Any time the subject of tests come up, just as any time "x" comes up, Group or Wing may have an opinion or input.

In theory the staffers from the next echelon, as well as the CC's are in regular contact, discussing challenges, programs and asking for help.
There should be no surprises on the SUI's, the next higher up should be fully aware of what is going on, that is the only reason they exist, especially with Groups.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

We've pretty much got the same thing, though we have a "permanent" home (nothing is permanent unless you hold the deed or make the payments on the mortgage regularly), we have the metal boxes with combination locks, and they get locked in another cabinet unless it's being transported by the TCO to another facility to administer tests, or the occasional senior AU-CAP test, still. I've arranged for them to be done at other than meeting times due to people schedules and meeting duties.

Lt Oliv

So....you want to drive 6 hours one way every week we do testing so you can get the test from the wing HQ building?

I understand your concern about accountability.....how do we know the TCO is locking them up?  Well how do we know that any squadron is locking them up?  We ask to the see to container.  The TCO lets you see it.  It is that simple.  If he does not let you see it then you fail the squadron for test security.

As for being able to double check to see if it is stored properly........well if it at the squadron office with lots of public access then you want to make sure it is locked at all times.....so no one goes in and steals a test.  But at private residence....if the TCO forgets to lock the file up......we are protected by the fact that no one normally has access to the private home....and the TCO would be there to supervise anyone.

As for the LSAT, SAT, ACT comparison......when they start paying our TCO's and providing our squadrons with per manant/securable facilities....then maybe you would have a point.

You administer Air University/AFIADL tests weekly? I find that very difficult to believe.

Let me just tell you how the Navy has handled this situation in the past.

Promotion exams are sometimes offered "off site." This happened to me when I was scheduled to go on leave during the E-4 exam. To maintain the integrity of the test, the test was sent via overnight FedEx the day before the test and required the signature of the TCO.

Thus, the test did not just sit in a filing cabinet or in someone's home. It sat a higher level where it's integrity could be assured, and was passed to the TCO the day before. There was no break in custody, and since it was picked up either the day before or the day after, there was much less of a concern that the TCO cracked open the envelope and let someone study ahead.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:05:52 PMThus, the test did not just sit in a filing cabinet or in someone's home. It sat a higher level where it's integrity could be assured, and was passed to the TCO the day before. There was no break in custody, and since it was picked up either the day before or the day after, there was much less of a concern that the TCO cracked open the envelope and let someone study ahead.

No problem, in the Navy.

Group HQ is my state is anywhere from 1 hour to 3+ hours from the local unit, depending on the group.  Wing is 1-7. Who drives?  The candidate or the TCO?

This is one positive for online testing - in a year or two we won't need TCO's for seniors at all, and possibly not for cadets either.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Yes you do. Not every test is online, the  milestones are still administered traditionally, and someone has to keep track of lockouts and resets on the online stuff.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on October 17, 2010, 04:11:53 PM
Yes you do. Not every test is online, the  milestones are still administered traditionally, and someone has to keep track of lockouts and resets on the online stuff.

I said in a year or two, not today.  Once online testing hits a stride, the next thing will be milestone tests.

I'd be willing to bet the only thing not online ultimately will be Spaatz.

"That Others May Zoom"

BillB

I've found that college AFROTC units have testing officers. the AU tests could be done there since USAF maintains control of the tests.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2010, 03:24:59 PM
Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:05:52 PMThus, the test did not just sit in a filing cabinet or in someone's home. It sat a higher level where it's integrity could be assured, and was passed to the TCO the day before. There was no break in custody, and since it was picked up either the day before or the day after, there was much less of a concern that the TCO cracked open the envelope and let someone study ahead.

No problem, in the Navy.

Group HQ is my state is anywhere from 1 hour to 3+ hours from the local unit, depending on the group.  Wing is 1-7. Who drives?  The candidate or the TCO?

This is one positive for online testing - in a year or two we won't need TCO's for seniors at all, and possibly not for cadets either.

Eclipse,

Did you actually read my post? I ask because you seem to express little understanding that you did.

Let me repeat the Navy example.

The Navy maintains control of the tests higher up in the chain and when one needs to be sent down to a tenant command, it overnights the test to the local TCO.

Who is driving? Why is anyone driving? Is it your contention that your squadron is so off the grid that FedEx is unavailable or impractical?

If your squadron has a permanent meeting place, great, store the test there. If not, you keep it at Group (or Wing, if no Group) and they FedEx it to the squadron TCO the day before or the day off the test.

Eclipse

Yes, and you clearly missing the point.

Any reference to how the military or for that matter any other agency or organization with permanent facilities and full-time employees
handle their tests is irrelevant to CAP as we have no consistency of the former and none of the latter.

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 05:49:02 PM
If your squadron has a permanent meeting place, great, store the test there. If not, you keep it at Group (or Wing, if no Group) and they FedEx it to the squadron TCO the day before or the day off the test.

No problem.

Who, exactly, is going to pay for that?

Where will they be shipped (remember, no permanent home).

What do you do with the materials after? (no pickup until the next day, and no guarantee there is a drop-box anywhere near the unit).

How is allowing the TCO to handle and store the materials at their home or office for one day any "better" than having them store them that way permanently?

Talk about over-complicating something simple to no advantage for anyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2010, 05:53:13 PM
Yes, and you clearly missing the point.

Any reference to how the military or for that matter any other agency or organization with permanent facilities and full-time employees
handle their tests is irrelevant to CAP as we have no consistency of the former and none of the latter.

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 05:49:02 PM

No problem.

Who, exactly, is going to pay for that?

Where will they be shipped (remember, no permanent home).

What do you do with the materials after? (no pickup until the next day, and no guarantee there is a drop-box anywhere near the unit).

Talk about over-complicating something simple to no advantage for anyone.

You are aware that the tests are either FedExed or mailed anyway, right? Do you have an AFIADL fairy leaving them under your pillow? You just wait to send them out.

As for where it gets sent, go ahead and send it to the TCO at home or work! If you are administering a test that evening, you get the test earlier in the day and send it out when you are finished.

No drop location? Ever hear of a flat rate envelope? Is your squadron also nowhere near a mailbox?

No advantage to anyone? I actually like my tests to have the integrity maintained. I really like it when the TCO cannot just flop an AFIADL on their dining room table or letting someone study ahead.

Keeping these tests in private residences is not appropriate.

I'd recommend consulting your Wing IG on it. Because that very situation is just plain no good in our neck of the woods.

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 06:04:24 PMI'd recommend consulting your Wing IG on it. Because that very situation is just plain no good in our neck of the woods.

IG's have nothing to say, nor any interest in, things which comply with regulations.  They are not the secret police of CAP.

If you have a problem in your area, I suggest you file a complaint instead of insinuating this is a larger-scale issue, which it is not.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Unless they've changed, the AFIADL test come with a pre-addressed return envelope for the answer sheet. The TCO stores the test until the results come back, the destroys the test. Ergo, no return mail cost for the test.

As for those who say sending it out to the unit violates chain of custody, that's what tracking numbers are for. Every shipper provides them - even the USPS, if you send it receipt requested. When the driver/mailperson picks it up/takes possession of it, the company is responsible until it is signed for by the receipent. It they weren't acceptable to the AF, they'd be sending couriers out to deliver the tests. Believe it or not, the AF knows what our TCO system is and has accepted the limitaion and conditions placed upon us by the nature of our organization.

tsrup

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 14, 2010, 12:40:00 PM

CAP produced AU tests can be released to a subordinate unit by the Wing TCO. However, test security procedures must still be followed, and that doesn’t include being stored at a private residence.

It’s all spelled out in CAPR 50-4.

It is spelled out in CAPR 50-4,

however after reading the regulation, as long as the security requirements are met then there is no problem with it being a private residence.  The responsible parties just have to be accountable for the testing materials as long as it is there "turn" in the chain of control.

If that route were to be taken, the member would have to allow the IG to inspect their storage area at home for compliance if the need arose. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

lordmonar

Lt Oliv,

If you don't trust your people....it does not matter where you store the bloody test.  And at some point the tests still end up in the hands of the same TCO you don't trust. 

a2capt

Wing mails us a test, it comes to me, goes in the metal box. The senior member is notified that the test is available. I'll be a bit more flexible with the seniors as there are times when an hour can't be given up at the meeting. So if that means take the lock box with me so an evening at a mutually agreed location is needed, then thats what it is. I'll go there, they can come to me, whatever.

If cadets need additional time outside of the meeting for something like a milestone exam, and there's a weekend activity at the unit, I'll go do that too.

We are not the Air Force, the Navy, or whatever. We have to work with a couple hours a week and while the cadet program is somewhat autonomous, it is our job to make sure they don't run off the end of a cliff. If the senior staff is stretched thin, I'm not going to tell the cadets "sorry, but the safety officer needs to test, you can't do that activity tonight".

Yes, I know, someone else steps in, but you get the point I hope.