Vanguard CAP Sword (pictures)

Started by JC004, August 29, 2007, 06:09:31 PM

afgeo4

Someone said Swords shouldn't be a part of CAP because we've never used them as weapons, historically speaking. Does that person think we should start issuing bombs to Colonels? We have historically used bombs as part of our mission.
GEORGE LURYE

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 30, 2007, 08:18:21 PM
Someone said Swords shouldn't be a part of CAP because we've never used them as weapons, historically speaking. Does that person think we should start issuing bombs to Colonels? We have historically used bombs as part of our mission.

Don't be ridiculous.  Would YOU trust a Colonel with a bomb??   :)

MIGCAP

Swords are to be issued to Members of the National Board for wear with the TPU. Teh concept is to facilitate the backstabbing which has been going on for years without designated weapon.

Hawk200

You're kidding, right? I don't think they have a place, but to even suggest bombs? Please, tell me you're joking.

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: MIKE on August 30, 2007, 06:42:07 PM
I think CAPblog quoted my Highlander quote.  :)

As long as I dont find out that Sean Connery joined CAP, I'm okay with that, lol
:D :D ;D ;D :D :D

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on August 30, 2007, 08:25:04 PM

Don't be ridiculous.  Would YOU trust a Colonel with a bomb??   :)
No, but maybe a hand grenade.

Back on topic:

Quote from: CAPLAW on August 30, 2007, 08:15:26 PM
How much for the sabre Col. B? 8)
About $300, plus the $7 shipping
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BillB

Caplaw,   Was asking $60 plus shipping.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

dougsnow

I think only Marines (officers and NCOs) are issued Swords, Navy and Army Officers, and I think it needs to be left at that. They may use swords at USAFA, but no where in the active Air Force (except maybe  Washington) are Swords a part of USAF lore, at least I never saw a sword as part of a USAF mess dress uniform.

There is no history in CAP that is "sword-specific" or would justify the Sword as a realistic addition to the uniform, there is no history in CAP that is dependent on the Sword, unlike the Marines, and the history of the Mamaluke Sword in Marine Corps lore.

In the USMC D&C Manual there are whole chapters on Sword-related Drill and Ceremonies, and there is also a chapter on D&C for Swords at Weddings.

MidwaySix

MIKE

Mike Johnston

SAR-EMT1

1)
I was under the impression that (among Officers) Swords were given upon graduation from a Service Academy. So will this sword be presented upon completion of Iowa's OTS  >:D or Nationals NSC or the like?

Anyone in the know feel free to correct me.  :)

2) Can those of you on the forum with a 'real' Military Sword/Saber/Pointy Thing post pics for comparison? - And maybe the circumstances of your coming into possession of said item. :angel:

Anyone have a link for the Sword Manual of Arms?   ::)

3) Including the cost of this PointyThingTM, what does Mess Dress add up to? :o

P.S )
I vote that all Nebraska Admirals or any CAP Officer wearing Mess Dress on a Cruise MUST equip themselves with this PointyThingTM in order to repel boarders and open the pop tabs on beverages. (Kegs)  >:D

- Donning Bunker Gear -
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

ColonelJack

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on August 31, 2007, 11:00:38 AM
1)
I vote that all Nebraska Admirals or any CAP Officer wearing Mess Dress on a Cruise MUST equip themselves with this PointyThingTM in order to repel boarders and open the pop tabs on beverages. (Kegs)  >:D

Oh, goody!  That means I get one!!!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

dougsnow

Check out the USMC Drill and Ceremonies Manual, Chapter 5

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/naval_science/Forms/DrillManual.pdf

Skyray

Quote from: dougsnow on August 31, 2007, 11:55:01 AM

Check out the USMC Drill and Ceremonies Manual, Chapter 5

http://www.olemiss.edu/depts/naval_science/Forms/DrillManual.pdf

Wow!  You make me nostalgic.  I was a Midshipman, USNR in that outfit in 1957.  We learned the manual of arms for sword, and I never used it again, although I was expected to buy one when I got commissioned.  Dern thing is hanging on the wall right in front of me, even as I type.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

JohnKachenmeister

By the time I got commissioned (Army) the saber was optional.  The only guys who ever bought them that I knew about were the guys commissioned into the Armor branch, since they considered themselves to be the heirs of the Cavalry tradition.
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 31, 2007, 11:33:35 AM
1)

Oh, goody!  That means I get one!!!

Jack

We could all be CAP (Civil Air Pirates)  >:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Skyray

Well, John, you know what they say about my service (Marine Corp).  Two hundred thirty-two years of tradition unspoiled by progress.  I was surprised to note in one of the posts in this thread that newly minted Marine Officers are no longer expected to purchase their swords.  As an aside to Calen, the gift of the sword to academy graduates comes from their family; it is a tradition, and least at Annapolis.  (I didn't go there, I just have a lot of friends who did.)

I was a wingie in the Marines, while the 03s might have still been using swords in ceremonies, we never did.  So I have this beautiful unused sword with a Mamaluke hilt hanging on my brag wall.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

ColonelJack

Quote from: LtCol White on August 31, 2007, 02:29:19 PM
[We could all be CAP (Civil Air Pirates)  >:D

Arrrrrrr, Matey!  Avast, there, and swag out the bilge!  Hard a-starboard!  Bring the guns to bear! 

......sorry, I went away there for a moment, but I'm back now.

What the heck did I just say, anyway?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 31, 2007, 06:18:09 PM

Arrrrrrr, Matey!  Avast, there, and swag out the bilge!  Hard a-starboard!  Bring the guns to bear! 

Jack

But isn't "Civil Air Pirates" a great idea for a T-shirt or an unauthorized flight suit patch?
Another former CAP officer

JC004

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on August 31, 2007, 06:25:44 PM
Quote from: ColonelJack on August 31, 2007, 06:18:09 PM

Jack

But isn't "Civil Air Pirates" a great idea for a T-shirt or an unauthorized flight suit patch?

Where would we put it?  With AUXON/AUXOFF on one side and Transformers on the other, we're running short on space.