BCUT added to most SQTR's

Started by cap235629, February 14, 2010, 09:03:19 PM

cap235629

We held a training day yesterday and printed SQTR's from E-Services.  Completing BCUT has been added to the SQTR for GTM3 and UDF.  In the past this was not required and I was wondering when this was added.  The Task Guide does not list them. ICS 100 and 700 are listed as well but those are part of the GES so it seems redundant. Is this just something I missed or do you think it was added tot he SQTR with the changeover.  If it was, why?

BCUT is NOT necessary to be able to be a productive UDF team member. Incidentally, ICUT is on the horizon and this will be changing.  My issue is that BCUT "Instructors" are few and far between in our wing and to become one is somewhat of a pain, and I am friends with the wing DC!

Thoughts?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Hill CAP

Not sure when it started. I noticed the same thing on Wednesday when I printed out a UDF SQTR for a new member.

Now if I am correct anymore but I remember at one time the Squadron Commander could teach BCUT. This may have changed with newer regulations though.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

lordmonar

Quote from: cap235629 on February 14, 2010, 09:03:19 PMBCUT is NOT necessary to be able to be a productive UDF team member. Incidentally, ICUT is on the horizon and this will be changing.  My issue is that BCUT "Instructors" are few and far between in our wing and to become one is somewhat of a pain, and I am friends with the wing DC!

Thoughts?
The only reason why becoming a BCUT instructor is hard is because your freind the Wing DC makes it so.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pingree1492

BCUT has been a requirement since at least 2000- I had to do it to get my GTM.  Also, ACUT used to be a requirement for GTL, but I'm not sure if it still is.

And yes, BCUT is absolutely necessary to be a good GTM or UDF member.  Remember, UDF teams only go out with two people- someone needs to be able to talk on the radio.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

sardak

^^^
Yep. I have the old CAPF 101-T-SQTRs in front of me. Those dated May 2001 require BCUT for UDF and GTM3, ACUT for GTL.  The versions dated March 2004 require BCUT for UDF and GTM3 but dropped the ACUT from GTL.

Mike

cap235629

My mistake, The order they are printed on the computer generated sqtr is different than the one in the task guide.... feeling like a fool with my brain on the ground!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

ßτε

Also IS 100 and IS 700 are not required for GES. Only CAP Test 16 and Level I/Curry are required for GES.

JoeTomasone

BCUT is required for all but 4 qualifications; TMP, Ground Radiological, Air Radiological, and one other that escapes me at the moment.

Anyone approved by the WG/DC can teach BCUT/ACUT.

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: lordmonar on February 14, 2010, 10:11:09 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on February 14, 2010, 09:03:19 PMBCUT is NOT necessary to be able to be a productive UDF team member. Incidentally, ICUT is on the horizon and this will be changing.  My issue is that BCUT "Instructors" are few and far between in our wing and to become one is somewhat of a pain, and I am friends with the wing DC!

Thoughts?
The only reason why becoming a BCUT instructor is hard is because your freind the Wing DC makes it so.

More like finding someone who'll actually TEACH it instead of pencil whipping it out is the real problem.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: cap235629 on February 14, 2010, 09:03:19 PM

BCUT is NOT necessary to be able to be a productive UDF team member. Incidentally, ICUT is on the horizon and this will be changing.  My issue is that BCUT "Instructors" are few and far between in our wing and to become one is somewhat of a pain, and I am friends with the wing DC!

Thoughts?

Horse manure.

If you don't know how to operate the radios you shouldn't be a qualified UDF or GTM. It's part of the job.

ICUT will only provide standardized classroom. YOu're still going to have to prove you can actually operate.

My Wing's BCUT standards are pretty stringent, but only because we had a plethora of CAPF76 Advanced holders who couldn't even change groups in the EFJ 5317. Despite that we're processing about a dozen cards/month.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Eclipse

How do you coordinate with an aircrew? (for starters).

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

apparently you guys missed where I corrected myself. I realize it has always been there. I still stand by my belief that BCUT isn't necessary because there are also tasks that say "Complete Task L-0001 Basic Radio Procedures for ES Operators, Complete Task L-0002 Perform Radio Operations Procedures, and Complete Task L-0003 employ appropriate radio frequencies and repeaters". These tasks are redundant with BCUT and are the skill set that prepares a team member to operate the communication equipment necessary to prosecute the mission, including talking to aircraft.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on February 15, 2010, 04:27:02 AM
apparently you guys missed where I corrected myself. I realize it has always been there. I still stand by my belief that BCUT isn't necessary because there are also tasks that say "Complete Task L-0001 Basic Radio Procedures for ES Operators, Complete Task L-0002 Perform Radio Operations Procedures, and Complete Task L-0003 employ appropriate radio frequencies and repeaters". These tasks are redundant with BCUT and are the skill set that prepares a team member to operate the communication equipment necessary to prosecute the mission, including talking to aircraft.

They are not redundant in that without at least a B-Cut you cannot operate CAP radios independent of direct supervision, and without an A-Cut you can't be issued or own a radio.

You might have an idea how to work it, but where are you going to get one?

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

there is always a GTL on a Ground team, there is your supervision.  You cannot be assigned a corporate asset as an individual but you can be assigned a radio to use as a team member.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: cap235629 on February 15, 2010, 05:00:22 AM
there is always a GTL on a Ground team, there is your supervision.  You cannot be assigned a corporate asset as an individual but you can be assigned a radio to use as a team member.

Yes - but there's no guarantee that a GTL has an A-Cut, either, and UDF teams don't have GTL's.

Your assertion was that B-Cut was unnecessary for UDF, which could well have two members, neither of whom have an A-Cut.  In that case a CUL or someone else could hand them a radio and they could use it, without the B-Cut, they can't do that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoorah

Quote from: bte on February 15, 2010, 12:03:33 AM
Also IS 100 and IS 700 are not required for GES. Only CAP Test 16 and Level I/Curry are required for GES.
But what other courses for GES besides the CAP Test 16, and Level I/Curry, First Aid, CPR be an advantage to have?

Short Field

GES allows you to be present at a mission and to become a trainee for other achievements.  All the other other requirements, training, etc, are prerequisites, advanced training, etc., in other achievements. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

SarDragon

Quote from: cap235629 on February 14, 2010, 09:03:19 PM

Thoughts?

ICUT, to date, has been "vapor-ware". This has been promised for several years, and it keeps getting pushed back.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on February 16, 2010, 06:58:51 AM
ICUT, to date, has been "vapor-ware". This has been promised for several years, and it keeps getting pushed back.

Actually, its now in limited test and my wing will be using the new curriculum this year.  The back-end of online testing is still
a work in progress, but the classes are essentially done.

"That Others May Zoom"