Thanks To All The "Wanna Bees"!

Started by RADIOMAN015, February 10, 2010, 11:04:09 PM

RADIOMAN015

Over the course of my recent membership in CAP, I've made it a point to observe as well as talk with the "wanna bees" who join/are members CAP.

For the most part, I find these individuals to be very dedicated, tend to spend a heck of a lot more money on various "military" type uniforms than most of the general senior membership.

I've found that many had a burning desire to join the military and serve their country, but due to physical and/or mental conditions, couldn't meet the stringent armed forces medical standards.

Others, retired from their professional lives and/or lost love ones due to age or illness, and found themselves depressed and without purposes.  Their finding of CAP 'gave them a new purpose in life" and many became significant contributors of time, talent (and some treasure) to various squadrons in the wing.

So, from one military retiree, I'd like to salute you for your service to CAP and apologies to those that may have been offended by remarks on the board in the past about "wanna bees"
RM   

lordmonar

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 10, 2010, 11:04:09 PM
Over the course of my recent membership in CAP, I've made it a point to observe as well as talk with the "wanna bees" who join/are members CAP.

For the most part, I find these individuals to be very dedicated, tend to spend a heck of a lot more money on various "military" type uniforms than most of the general senior membership.

I've found that many had a burning desire to join the military and serve their country, but due to physical and/or mental conditions, couldn't meet the stringent armed forces medical standards.

Others, retired from their professional lives and/or lost love ones due to age or illness, and found themselves depressed and without purposes.  Their finding of CAP 'gave them a new purpose in life" and many became significant contributors of time, talent (and some treasure) to various squadrons in the wing.

So, from one military retiree, I'd like to salute you for your service to CAP and apologies to those that may have been offended by remarks on the board in the past about "wanna bees"
RM   

I'll throw my $0.02 in as well.  Like RADIOMAN my experince with most CAP volunteers Wannabees, Cadet Moms, or "I just want to fly" guys...has been positive.  I too want to send my Retired USAF salute to everyone who stands up and does his part to make CAP work.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

I gotta say, I thought this was headed in a completely different direction, but I agree 100%.

"That Others May Zoom"

Gunner C

TACP

Definitely didn't see that title as positive, but well said post. I'll throw in my 'Active Duty' salute; I wouldn't have gotten here without those members of CAP.

Strick

and thank you for your service to our country
[darn]atio memoriae

Seabee219

As a 15 year vet of the US NAVY, and  CAP Member for 3 years THANK YOU :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
CAP Capt, Retired US Navy Seabee.
  MRO, MS, MO, UDF, GT3, MSA, CUL
1. Lead by example, and take care of your people

Short Field

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 10, 2010, 11:04:09 PM

Sorry, but I just can't agree because you are hijacking the "wannabe" label to mean something that most of us don't mean when we say "wannabee".  I salute all the members from any walk of life who joins CAP and participates fully.   These people are not "wannabees" but active and productive members.  They are what they are - members of the Civil Air Patrol.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Spike

alamrcn

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota