Main Menu

When to wear?

Started by Cool Mace, February 10, 2010, 02:36:16 AM

EMT-83

As a C/Maj, you should be well versed in the uniform regulations and dealing with your chain of command.

This is something you need to resolve with your commander.

Cool Mace

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 11, 2010, 03:00:20 AM
As a C/Maj, you should be well versed in the uniform regulations and dealing with your chain of command.

This is something you need to resolve with your commander.

Yes, I just wanted to see what others thought about this...
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

TACP

You being a C/Maj brings in a whole new aspect. At that point in a CAP cadet career you should know the regs well enough to realize it was wrong, and now this Senior Member has something to stand on. Rather than coming on here to look for defense info, you should crack open the manual, review all info, and go speak with your commander and the individual about forgiveness.

At some point in the ranks 'It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission' loses all application. You have hit this point, so tread lightly until you get the issue resolved.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: TACP on February 11, 2010, 03:44:58 AM
You being a C/Maj brings in a whole new aspect. At that point in a CAP cadet career you should know the regs well enough to realize it was wrong, and now this Senior Member has something to stand on. Rather than coming on here to look for defense info, you should crack open the manual, review all info, and go speak with your commander and the individual about forgiveness.

At some point in the ranks 'It's better to beg forgiveness than ask permission' loses all application. You have hit this point, so tread lightly until you get the issue resolved.

+1  :clap:

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Lord on February 10, 2010, 05:26:19 PM
The regulations seem to be written in such a way as to forbid wearing the Uniform to CAP members' funerals or weddings. Would you concur that is what the manual states? ( please RTFM before commenting unless you have it memorized)

Major Lord

What the KB says (enjoy the argument about it not being regulatory):
"The CAP uniform may be worn to social events related to CAP activities. However, it would not be appropriate to wear the CAP uniform to a school dance or other function which had no specific ties to CAP. Exceptions: Wearing the CAP uniform would be appropriate when participating in posting the colors or similar activities at a school function, attending a military ball or if the school dance were being held on a military installation. There are time restrictions on wearing the uniform after the close of activities.   Civil Air Patrol personnel may, of course, attend church and grave site funeral services of a fellow CAP member in uniform. For additional guidance recommend discussing wear policies with your unit commander."

What 39-1 Table 1-1 says:
Table 1-1. Wearing the Uniform
Members wear the uniform when engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions.

Members are prohibited from wearing the uniform more than 1 hour following the close of the activity except for travel time to and from such activities, for which the uniform is specified (seminars, conferences, NEC, or NB meetings).

Members are prohibited from wearing the uniform under any circumstance that would tend to bring discredit or reproach upon the uniform.

When attending social activities or dinners on military installations the wear of a CAP uniform is not restricted.

CAPP 3 "Guide to CAP Protocol"  also has comment about formal events.

I agree with the comments that a Unit CC does not have the authority to override 39-1.  My original comment was more to the
occasion for cadets to wear their uniforms to school, but that would obviously be CAP-related in some fashion.

A civilian wedding at a civilian banquet hall would not really have any CAP connection and therefore the wear of a CAP uniform by anyone would be inappropriate.

If you did it with legit lack of understanding, the 3000 PSI stare should be the end of it.

If you asked in advance and still did it, all bets are off.

Quote from: Cool Mace on February 11, 2010, 02:38:39 AM
Here's the deal. I wore it to a wedding last year.  I've been in for 8 years, hold the rank of c/Maj and I know how to act when I'm in uniform.

A 19 or 20-year old Cadet Major should know better...

"That Others May Zoom"

Rotorhead

Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:37:43 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 03:30:49 AM
Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:29:01 AM
Does anyone know what would happen to a cadet that did wear the uniform outside of CAP?

2b, demotion, stepping down from a command postion?

Drawn and quartered.

You really think it should go that far?

That was a late night attempt at humor. That's actually a very grizzly form of execution.

A bear kills and eats you? That would be terrible.

Or did you mean grisly?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Quote from: Cool Mace on February 11, 2010, 02:38:39 AM
Here's the deal. I wore it to a wedding last year.  I've been in for 8 years, hold the rank of c/Maj and I know how to act when I'm in uniform.

...but not when you can wear it, apparently.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

davidsinn

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 11, 2010, 01:33:36 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 11:21:34 AM
Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:37:43 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 10, 2010, 03:30:49 AM
Quote from: Mason Huston on February 10, 2010, 03:29:01 AM
Does anyone know what would happen to a cadet that did wear the uniform outside of CAP?

2b, demotion, stepping down from a command postion?

Drawn and quartered.

You really think it should go that far?

That was a late night attempt at humor. That's actually a very grizzly form of execution.

A bear kills and eats you? That would be terrible.

Or did you mean grisly?

Yeah ;D Brain hadn't fully engaged yet that early in the morning.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

raivo

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 11, 2010, 01:33:36 PMA bear kills and eats you? That would be terrible.

Or did you mean grisly?

Well, being eaten by a bear would probably be both. ;)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Dracosbane

And the bear might think some to be overly gristly.   ;D >:D

Fuzzy

Hopefully the unit commander will be well versed enough in CAP regulations to follow the correct procedure.

Which in this case I belive would involve cutting a corner off the Cadet Major's dimonds... Four strikes and your a Second Lieutenant.
C/Capt Semko

Spike