Started by DG, January 24, 2010, 12:02:19 AM

DG

What is the real deal on the Puffin?

What in the world is NASA thinking?

PHall

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2010, 12:02:19 AM

Okay, I must have missed the Staff Meeting.

What the heck are you talking about? ???

CadetProgramGuy

The Puffin is a personal V-22 Osprey lookalike that is all electric.  Click on the link to see the photo.

davidsinn

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 24, 2010, 04:41:39 AM
The Puffin is a personal V-22 Osprey lookalike that is all electric.  Click on the link to see the photo.

What link?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

CadetProgramGuy

DG

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2010, 12:02:19 AM

I thought we would have many in a position to shed some light here and provide some background on this program.  After all, it is NASA.

But apparently everyone is just as much in the dark as I am.

Must be their skunk works.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=nasa-one-man-stealth-plane

Spike

So in 50 years we will all be crashing into the sides of buildings trying to get to the McDonald's for lunch while "flying" these things!

sparks

And CAP will rpoduce another revision to 60-1 to either bless or [darn] their operation.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on January 24, 2010, 04:47:17 AM
Crap, sorry  here it is.....

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/01/nasa-puffin/
This is really a cool helo/aero hybrid.  I would assume that due to it's weight that actually NO license would be required for it (it would be considered an ultralight?).   HOWEVER, I doubt that you will see a cost of less than $50K on this initially, but who knows.  Perhaps it would be best to require a modern 406 mhz emergency beacon in this craft.  Also many states restrict where aircraft/helos can land on a regular basis, so there would be a lot of legal hurdles.
RM