Back to Blues at the Pentagon

Started by dogboy, January 18, 2010, 10:49:10 PM

SarDragon

"Service Dress" is, by definition, the coat and tie. The corporate version would be the blazer, or the greys with tie, neither of which are true equivalents.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on January 19, 2010, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: Spike on January 19, 2010, 11:03:50 PM
Quote from: Short Field on January 19, 2010, 09:57:22 PM
Silly question.  If a person has problems wearing the service dress, they really have some serious problems.
Once a month all of my Officers (Senior Members) and Cadets are required to wear service dress. 

Please define "service dress".  Is it the white/grey corporate uniform or the AF style blue uniform?  Service Blouse?

39-1 states what the basic uniform is for members.  I urge you to look there. 

Stonewall

I was at the Pentagon from 1994 to 1995 for about 18 months.  I was on special detail there and wore 2 uniforms; ceremonial dress blues (with M9) and Class Bs with nametag only.  I think at the Pentagon it is appropriate to wear a form of service dress.

To me it is a privelege to wear utility uniforms and should be reserved for combat/field units.  During my time at the Pentagon, you would rarely see someone in BDUs.  I remember the clinic had medics on duty there in BDUs, but that's about it.  The Pentagon is the military equivelant of an office building and as such its occupants should dress accordingly.  It's like going into the base education office or personnel; there is no reason for those folks to be in ABUs in my opinion.  Regardless of what term we're using these days to call the total force (expeditionary airmen, war fighters, etc), some folks are not deployable for a combat role and should dress appropriately for their role. 

Office environment:  service dress
Field enviornment:  field uniform
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

I guess I shouldn't be moderangering in ODUs then?  >:D
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on January 20, 2010, 02:54:58 AM
I guess I shouldn't be moderangering in ODUs then?  >:D

Don't be a schnook, everyone knows that pajamas are the proper uniform for that!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Short Field

Quote from: Spike on January 20, 2010, 12:17:56 AM
Quote from: Short Field on January 19, 2010, 11:47:54 PM
Quote from: Spike on January 19, 2010, 11:03:50 PM
Quote from: Short Field on January 19, 2010, 09:57:22 PM
Silly question.  If a person has problems wearing the service dress, they really have some serious problems.
Once a month all of my Officers (Senior Members) and Cadets are required to wear service dress. 

Please define "service dress".  Is it the white/grey corporate uniform or the AF style blue uniform?  Service Blouse?

39-1 states what the basic uniform is for members.  I urge you to look there.

Just wondering why you were requiring SMs to wear a coat and tie instead of the minimum required uniform?
Quote from: SarDragon on January 20, 2010, 12:14:09 AM
"Service Dress" is, by definition, the coat and tie. The corporate version would be the blazer, or the greys with tie, neither of which are true equivalents.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

raivo

If it were up to me, the UOD would be the most comfortable uniform you have, that still maintains the appropriate level of decor for your environment. (Heck, every time I've seen our wing commander, she's been wearing a flight suit.)

At the Pentagon, White House, etc., that would be service dress.

Just about anywhere else, I'd consider utility uniforms acceptable (special occasions notwithstanding.)

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

c172drv

Quote from: Stonewall on January 20, 2010, 01:01:02 AM
I was at the Pentagon from 1994 to 1995 for about 18 months.  I was on special detail there and wore 2 uniforms; ceremonial dress blues (with M9) and Class Bs with nametag only.  I think at the Pentagon it is appropriate to wear a form of service dress.

To me it is a privelege to wear utility uniforms and should be reserved for combat/field units.  During my time at the Pentagon, you would rarely see someone in BDUs.  I remember the clinic had medics on duty there in BDUs, but that's about it.  The Pentagon is the military equivelant of an office building and as such its occupants should dress accordingly.  It's like going into the base education office or personnel; there is no reason for those folks to be in ABUs in my opinion.  Regardless of what term we're using these days to call the total force (expeditionary airmen, war fighters, etc), some folks are not deployable for a combat role and should dress appropriately for their role. 

Office environment:  service dress
Field enviornment:  field uniform

Kirt, you have to admit that it did relax folks who were putting in long hours at the building when the did this.   Tack in the fact that much of the area was also in some form of construction and it made sense.  I do feel that it ws taken too far by many.  The proliferation of flight suits was too much.  I think that they could cut a middle line and make it utility Fridays or something.

John
John Jester
VAWG

vento

I bet some people will actually prefer the dress uniform over the field uniform. Navy dress white with their gold wings comes to mind...  ;D

SarDragon

Anyone in the Navy who says they actually enjoy wearing whites needs a drug test, or maybe a psych eval. Those things were evil  >:D >:D in all their various rank-specific incarnations.  >:D >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Flying Pig

Yeah.....Col. Nathan Jesup didnt like them either.

raivo

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 21, 2010, 06:10:15 PM
Yeah.....Col. Nathan Jesup didnt like them either.

Yeah, and look where he is now! :P

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: Rotorhead on January 19, 2010, 05:42:52 AM
Quote from: Gunner C on January 19, 2010, 01:45:43 AM
This is going to impact morale.  There's nothing worse than having to put together a dress uniform every day.  Even if it's only pants and a shirt - the combat uniforms are more comfortable. 
Millions of civilians do this every day when they go to work.

If dressing as a professional affects morale, then there's a bigger problem to be addressed.

As someone that wears the civilian business attire I can say that they are not even in the same league. My shirt/tie can be a bit off and I am OK...you do NOT screw up your blues in the Pentagon.

Guys the civi world is NOT even remotely like the military. Why do so many try to compare them?

Trung Si Ma

Reminds me of Jean Larteguy's two armies quote
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

PHall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 22, 2010, 03:05:13 AM

Why should it?  Headquarters types should look like Headquarters types.

And Service Dress is definitely a Headquarters uniform.

Rotorhead

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on January 22, 2010, 01:21:13 AM
This is going to impact morale.  There's nothing worse than having to put together a dress uniform every day.  Even if it's only pants and a shirt - the combat uniforms are more comfortable. 

If dressing as a professional affects morale, then there's a bigger problem to be addressed.

As someone that wears the civilian business attire I can say that they are not even in the same league. My shirt/tie can be a bit off and I am OK...you do NOT screw up your blues in the Pentagon.
Then you shouldn't want to wear something as informal as ABC/ABU/BDU or whatever, if a sharp look is so critical.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

RiverAux

AF Times is implying that the AF is thinking about going back to blues at all times unless you have a need to be in one of the informal uniforms.

Spike

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on January 22, 2010, 01:21:13 AM

Guys the civi world is NOT even remotely like the military. Why do so many try to compare them?

Actaully the Business world is very similar to the military.  I am in both and can see parallels.  A good company thrives when using military ideas. 

Now we are talking about mostly Officers and Senior NCO's at the Pentagon.  If these O's can not correctly wear the uniform of thier service, they should take an easier job at a fast food resteraunt. 

Same for business people.  Not many years ago, IBM would fire a guy on the spot should his "gig line" be off or his tie not pulled tight.  Although we are seeing less and less formality in the business community, it is still there in some places.  Ford required its offie drones to wear a collard shirt and tie.  GE for the longest time required a handkerchief in teh coat pocket of everyone. 

I a person at the pentagon can not tie his tie or get his nameplate straight I will be happy to assist him in finding a job wear one does not need to wear nameplate or tie.  He will recieve less money and very little benefits, but it should make his morale go UP. 

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: PHall on January 22, 2010, 04:54:31 AM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 22, 2010, 03:05:13 AM

Why should it?  Headquarters types should look like Headquarters types.

And Service Dress is definitely a Headquarters uniform.

Warriors should look like warriors.  If you're not a warrior, then the slot should be a GS slot, not a uniformed one.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Nick

Quote from: RiverAux on January 23, 2010, 01:41:53 AM
AF Times is implying that the AF is thinking about going back to blues at all times unless you have a need to be in one of the informal uniforms.
Phew. At least I'm covered. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus