Main Menu

SM Grade vs. PD Level

Started by DBlair, January 06, 2010, 06:38:53 AM

DBlair

I had a quick question that I figured I'd ask about:

Does a SM have to wait to be promoted before he can complete the next Professional Development Level?

For example, if a 1stLt has completed Level II and is waiting TIG for Captain, does he have to wait for his promotion before he can complete Level III and be awarded his Loening Award?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

adamblank

Nope.  You will see a lot of the senior members on here way ahead on the PD front.  Without prior military credit it can be difficult to go to some schools (i.e. NSC, or its PME equivalent ACSC) without certain grade.
Adam Brandao

Cecil DP

If you have the right PME and are a fast burner, you could complete Level V in three (3) years. I was able to get my Wilson Award as a Captain by attending all the resident schools, SOS, and ACSC (When it was available to Captains)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

AlphaSigOU

It's not unusual for a 1st Lt to obtain a waiver to attend Region Staff College. (I completed Level III while a 1st Lt, though I was a mid-level Captain before I could attend RSC.) Quoth CAPR 50-17:

QuoteNOTE: When warranted, region commanders may permit attendance at Region Staff College prior to completion of Level III professional development. The written waiver from the region commander should be sent from the region commander to the RSC director prior to the start of the course.

No grade waivers for NSC - you must be a major or higher. However, the National Commander or Executive Director may waive the RSC attendance requirement, but this is seldom done.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

EMT-83

I just finished OBC to complete Level II, and have completed the requirements for Level III. So, as soon as the OBC appears on my record, I'll submit Level II. Once that posts, I'll submit Level III.

I'm looking at the Davis award, Loening award and captain's bars all within a few weeks.

SilverEagle2

Check my Rack...Capt pins on in Feb.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

davidsinn

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on January 06, 2010, 04:42:31 PM
Check my Rack...Capt pins on in Feb.

That's a mighty fine rack there L.T.  ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 06, 2010, 04:39:59 PM
I just finished OBC to complete Level II, and have completed the requirements for Level III. So, as soon as the OBC appears on my record, I'll submit Level II. Once that posts, I'll submit Level III.

I'm looking at the Davis award, Loening award and captain's bars all within a few weeks.

I have successfully submitted people for Level II and III on the same CAPF-24. In the Level III section for date of Level II put pending. I would include a note on the e-mail / fax cover explaining your request. Jen at NHQ/PD is really good at getting people recognition.

Bluelakes 13

I completed by Level 4 while still a 1st Lt. 

As mentioned, the only thing preventing my Level 5 is NSC, which requires a grade of Major.  That is coming in a few months...

lordmonar

I completed Level III, Level IV and got promoted to Major all on the same day.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spike

Quote from: EMT-83 on January 06, 2010, 04:39:59 PM
I just finished OBC to complete Level II, and have completed the requirements for Level III.

So how was the course??  Did you basically skip to the tests like we all thought would happen??

EMT-83

Quote from: phirons on January 06, 2010, 05:15:38 PM
I have successfully submitted people for Level II and III on the same CAPF-24. In the Level III section for date of Level II put pending. I would include a note on the e-mail / fax cover explaining your request. Jen at NHQ/PD is really good at getting people recognition.
Hmm...  I guess that's advice I can take from my CLC instructor.

Quote from: Spike on January 06, 2010, 10:14:39 PMSo how was the course??  Did you basically skip to the tests like we all thought would happen??
It was temping, but no. I spent the time to review the material and look up some of the references. There were a couple in particular, cadet protection and customs & courtesy, that I probably could have taken in my sleep (I do the Level I training for my squadron, so I see the material about monthly). I'm glad that I actually read the chapters, because there was some really good information that I would have missed.