Hawk Mountain Ranger School

Started by CAP Ranger, December 15, 2009, 06:28:31 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: RedFox24 on December 25, 2009, 07:20:16 PMI was on a ground team on a mission out of Marion once where we left a guy standing in the parking lot with his beret, whistle, ladder laced boots, ranger tab and coil of repelling rope around his neck/chest and waved by by at him that we were not taking him with us because he looked so stupid.

What amazes me is that someone would think that actually helps mission accomplishment in any way, shape, or form.

It's one thing to look pretty, it's another entirely to believe it's gonna help you in any manner.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: lordmonar on December 24, 2009, 06:15:10 PMHolding some cadet accountable for the policies of his leadership is just stupid.  Giving him a hard time just wastes our and his time.
It is the responsibility of each unit commander, mandated IAW CAPM 39-1, to enforce all uniform standards. That "some cadet" doesn't know what's kosher and what's not is ultimately his squadron commander's fault. Period.

And if wing and region commanders don't follow suit, they're rogue in the eyes of CAPM 39-1, as well. We are an organization of regulations we must follow; if we don't do so, we violate not only the regulations, but the core values and our own integrity.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Nathan

Hey guys... I'm confused. I was reading through the "pink belt" thing in the beginning of the thread, and what was stated seems contradictory to what was in the newsletter. According to the people here, the pink belt was used to denote the LOWEST performing member or team at Hawk. But according to the article, it's used to denote the HIGHEST.

http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/news/20070708-hawk-news.pdf

One of three things happened:

1) I'm reading it wrong and am failing to understand due to bad sarcasm.

2) People here read it wrong because they wanted to.

3) The Hawk people changed it to say something completely opposite of what it used to say.

Help me out here.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

davidsinn

Quote from: Nathan on December 28, 2009, 03:02:05 PM
Hey guys... I'm confused. I was reading through the "pink belt" thing in the beginning of the thread, and what was stated seems contradictory to what was in the newsletter. According to the people here, the pink belt was used to denote the LOWEST performing member or team at Hawk. But according to the article, it's used to denote the HIGHEST.

3) The Hawk people changed it to say something completely opposite of what it used to say.

Help me out here.

Go here. Read down to the pistol belt section. Notice what it says. Follow the cite and notice which pdf it links to.

Huge edit:

I was duped. I just ran through the history of that wiki page and it turns out that line I mentioned was edited to it's current state just one day before the OP posted the first msg in this thread. It originally stated the pink belt is worn by the distinguished sqdn. Now I'm unsure as to the truth of the matter. I don't think pink=best passes the reasonableness test but then again most of the stuff they do out there is weird.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Angus

Is Hawk really worth the money to attend? 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Nathan

I do agree that the picture posted doesn't show the general "crying from happiness" that you expect with such an honor, and rather seems to be a rather depressed cadet.

Too bad that it's unlikely anyone who's gone to the school recently is going to just tell us, since it would be known obviously to them.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

NC Hokie

Help me out here.

I'd guess that you just didn't get the bad sarcasm.  The list at the bottom of that article is the giveaway to me; if the pink belt goes to the best squadron, why have a separate citation for an Honor Squadron?

For a definitive answer, the article on page three of the July 13, 2009 Hawk Herald indicates the true nature of the pink belt:
http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/newletter/July%2013%202009hmrs.pdf
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

davidsinn

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 28, 2009, 03:55:20 PM

Help me out here.

I'd guess that you just didn't get the bad sarcasm.  The list at the bottom of that article is the giveaway to me; if the pink belt goes to the best squadron, why have a separate citation for an Honor Squadron?

For a definitive answer, the article on page three of the July 13, 2009 Hawk Herald indicates the true nature of the pink belt:
http://www.pawingcap.com/hawk/newletter/July%2013%202009hmrs.pdf

Looks like hazing to me.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BuckeyeDEJ

For those of you who have better things to do than download the PDF:
QuoteThe pink belt was tired of hanging in the operations room for a year and it choose its new owner for the day. C/Maj Giles, Charlie Cadet Squadron Commander, was the pink belts best choice according to the inspection team and the overall performance for the day. The Pink Belt is given to the squadron that doesn't do the best throughout the day. Who will get it next?

Squadron Alpha, lead by C/Maj McDonough, earned honor squadron for July 12. Can they keep it up?
As if the torture of the English language isn't bad enough ("and it choose its new owner..."), the taunting in the last two sentences sure seems like singling someone out for embarrassment to me — a good case could be made for a CPPT violation. A certain Cadet McDonough ought to feel shamed, since he's singled out by name.

Why pink? Is it effeminate? Does its use here imply that female members are less capable? Is it representative of a false bravado that should be reviewed? Discuss.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Strick

They should change the HMRS motto to:    THESE THINGS WE DO SO OTHERS MAY LOOK SILLY...... >:D
[darn]atio memoriae

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Strick on December 28, 2009, 06:23:00 PM
They should change the HMRS motto to:    THESE THINGS WE DO SO OTHERS MAY LOOK [AT US] SILLY...... >:D

Fixed.

SilverEagle2

OK, here is a suggestion...

Incorporate the "Silly" tabs for achievement level attained into the actual special activity patch.

i.e. Change the color of the keystone to denote level attained or a variant of that. Then the "Silly" tabs go away, and all is well.

No further approvals, HMRS school participants can show participation and level with one patch, etc.

The rest (belts, scarves, whistles, ladder lacing, etc.) is left to the wear at activity only.

Everyone wins, and it is clear and simple and in line with all other NCSA participant uniform items.

Then all they look like is a participant at a NCSA and no different than the rest.

Just a thought.
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

Strick

[darn]atio memoriae

Spike

The information regarding the Pink Web Belt was changed, once the Staff from Hawk read the posts here.  However it was not changed very well, and is now an issue for the IG.  They fabricated misinformation to cover a clear issue of hazing, once the hazing issue had been discovered (by us).  Let me assure you the person who made the changes is now in the process of writting his first draft appeal to recent membership termination.

This act alone shows what type of character and leadership Hawk Mountain produces.

Shame on those involved in trying to cover up mistakes made.   

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spike on December 30, 2009, 01:42:01 AM

Doesn't using the word "mistake" imply that the act was unintentional?  I think that the posters here have argued that the acts are indeed on purpose, therefore, not a "mistake."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

BuckeyeDEJ

The information regarding the Pink Web Belt was changed, once the Staff from Hawk read the posts here.  However it was not changed very well, and is now an issue for the IG.  They fabricated misinformation to cover a clear issue of hazing, once the hazing issue had been discovered (by us).  Let me assure you the person who made the changes is now in the process of writting his first draft appeal to recent membership termination.

This act alone shows what type of character and leadership Hawk Mountain produces.

Ah, sunshine — the best disinfectant.

Майор Хаткевич

So...if someone has been 2B'd for this, I'm assuming the silliness is gone? Or do they call it a motivation belt and keep it?

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 30, 2009, 02:50:32 AM

Doesn't using the word "mistake" imply that the act was unintentional?  I think that the posters here have argued that the acts are indeed on purpose, therefore, not a "mistake."
By the Merriam-Webster definition, "mistake" is an applicable term. Especially when it comes to the "faulty judgement" part.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 30, 2009, 04:50:19 AM
So...if someone has been 2B'd for this, I'm assuming the silliness is gone? Or do they call it a motivation belt and keep it?
That belt is lavender.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 30, 2009, 05:52:04 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on December 30, 2009, 04:50:19 AM
That belt is lavender.

Which changes what?