Main Menu

My new boots

Started by Smoothice, November 09, 2009, 01:56:39 PM

Smoothice

I found a nice Army/Navy place near my home and I stopped in to look at new combat boots. I found a pair with the help of the clerk, and they are awesome! What a difference. I was tying them up and I noticed the stamping on the leather on the toung. One thing that stood out was a date, 11-3-1977. The guy told me he buys all his stuff from "Surplus". Does that mean that these boots were actually made in 1977? Or did some company just put that there to make them look authentic?

Майор Хаткевич

Without seeing the boots it's hard to tell.

I purchased my boots in June of 2003. They cost me $50 bucks, and were used. It's been almost 6.5 years, and I'm still wearing those same boots.

a2capt

A full on date without any other real text around it, I'd pretty much go with that being the date of manufacture - where as if there's a tag with words such as contract or specs, that could be what they are made to conform with and when that conformation was published.

Airrace

I would bet that the date inside the boot is the manufactured date. If they are quality boots they should last you five to ten years using them at CAP functions only.

SarDragon

I have a pair of USN flight deck boots (double leather on the toes) that I got WIWOAD, and the uppers are still in decent shape. The sole tread is almost worn smooth, so I'm going to have to break out the replacement pair soon for CAP use, but they still work great for mowing the lawn and other similar foot-hazardous stuff.

Issue boots will last a long time if you take care of them. Mine have been soaked through with water, and muddied up almost beyond belief, but with some TLC, they remain serviceable.

Oh, did I mention that I left AD 20 years ago?  :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

O-Rex

Basic 'issue' boots have the date embossed on the outside top of the boot.

Boots from 1969 to 1985 have a "waffle tread" sole and regular eyelets.  Those made 85 and later have a sole similar to jungle boots (doesn't track mud) they also have speedlace eyelets and a padded collar (top of the boot.)

Steel-toe safety boots and flight boots usually have the date stamped on the inside of the boot.

It is quite possibe that your boots are 32 year-old 'new old-stock (on the shelf, never worn.)  If they are quality boots with good leather, simply saddle soap and kiwi them regularly and they should give you years of wear.

Pumbaa

I had a pair of boots that I abused for over 10 years before they gave out.  I agree that cleaning and treating with S. Soap or leather oil will keep them for a long time!

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Pumbaa on November 14, 2009, 07:23:12 PM
I had a pair of boots that I abused for over 10 years before they gave out.  I agree that cleaning and treating with S. Soap or leather oil will keep them for a long time!

Seconded.  Mil-spec boots wear like iron as long as they're well-maintained.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundPounder73

Ive got a pair of Bates boots that have been through all kinds of training, day to day wear, vollie FF training (when not wearing "gollashes") and hiking over sharp rock. They still shed water and with the side zipper and "polish free" finish, they look just about like the day I bought them.

Nomex Maximus

I got a pair of jump boots from the Hock and I have hated them ever since. Made in China, hard difficult to put on and heavy hard rubber soles. Hate em hate em hat em. I tend to stare at other CAP member's boots and wish they were mine... where do I go to get the right boots?

Did I mention I hate my boots?

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

Pylon

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on November 15, 2009, 08:36:26 PM
I got a pair of jump boots from the Hock and I have hated them ever since. Made in China, hard difficult to put on and heavy hard rubber soles. Hate em hate em hat em. I tend to stare at other CAP member's boots and wish they were mine... where do I go to get the right boots?

Did I mention I hate my boots?

I've always been partial to Bellevilles for quality construction and comfortable fit.   http://www.bellevilleshoe.com/index.php

The adage about getting what you pay for, is probably quite true when it comes to boots.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

O-Rex

Quality boot brands:

Bates, Belleville, Wellco, Corcoran, Danner just to name a few.  You will pay a premium for them, but they will last for years.

You can find specials at Ranger Joe's, they usually have closeouts on black boots.