Cadet Activities Officer for the squadron how & what

Started by mynetdude, October 13, 2009, 03:52:19 AM

mynetdude

I've recently transferred to another squadron, this is a much smaller squadron and the past DCC handled managing and scheduling activities with the cadets at this squadron so there was no need for a separate activities officer (and technically they still don't need one since the DCC can still do it himself).

A friend of mine is now the DCC for this squadron, and wanted a little help (in spite of what has been happening lately but I won't get into that right now).  I intend to do a bit of followup with the previous DCC to find out how she coordinated activities and such; however I wanted to hear from DCCs and other members/cadets and other activities officers their experiences, opinions and suggestions.

I've gone over and read the CP regulations concerning cadet safety RST, etc then II looked at the cadet programs specialty track (and looked at the list of specialty tracks) and noticed that the cadet activities officer is NOT a specialty track of its own and falls into the same group of CP specialty track.  That being said there are no specific "rules" as to how things have to be done within the scope of their duties except to follow safety and RST and ORM guidelines and the other bits of the cadet programs manual/regulations.

I'm having alittle problem/confusion in my own head, who does the cadet activities officer report to? both the DCC and the CC? or Just the CC or just the DCC? If a DCC decides to schedule an activity should the DCC be required to notify the CC and the cadet activities officer? (as far as regulations go, i can't really see that there is a requirement for such although I need to read the entier manual over and over as I usually do with everything else).

Secondly, when we network/make contacts with other agencies who would like to provide their services to us (for example a museum offering science and space/astrology science) exclusive to our use: shouldn't the activities officer be liasing with these agencies and be the POC (point of Contact) rather than the DCC? (our squadron does not have a telephone, so we rely on our own cell phones).

I'll stop there and see what you guys can pick apart and I will rephrase/clarify just don't beat me up over it and I'll be more than happy to have a wonderful discussion.

Eclipse

Again, the key here is not to get too buried in the regs or 20-1 and do / ask what the Squadron CC or DCC CDC wants to do.

In a unit that has a DCC CDC, anything cadet-related reports to the CDC, not the CC directly.

When working with an outside organization, I would say the initial contacts should be done at the highest level the CC wants, and then handed off down the chain as far as he sees fit.

As to "who notifies who".  Those up the chain don't have to notify or ask permission of those downstream, but common courtesy and the practical realities of running an activity would have one hoping they would.

So if the Deputy Commander of Cadets want to launch rockets, he has to notify the Commander, but not necessarily anyone else.CDC, not the CC directly.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2009, 05:13:03 AM
Again, the key here is not to get too buried in the regs or 20-1 and do / ask what the Squadron CC or DCC CDC wants to do.

In a unit that has a DCC CDC, anything cadet-related reports to the CDC, not the CC directly.

I just like to make sure I'm not leaving anything out if there is anything specific I should keep in mind otherwise its fairly straight forward.

CDC? Ok now you've lost me, did they change the "DCC" to CDC? Or would someone please tell me what CDC means please? :)  Should the CC be apprised of activities or is that the DCC's job to report those beyond what the activities officer reports?

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on October 13, 2009, 05:16:12 AM
CDC? Ok now you've lost me, did they change the "DCC" to CDC? Or would someone please tell me what CDC means please?

It never changed, most people use it incorrectly.

CC = Commander
CD = Deputy Commander
CDS = Deputy Commander for Seniors
CDC = Deputy Commander For Cadets

DC = Director of Communications
DCC = 700

(Now 10 people will argue about this, however none will be able to show where DCC means Deputy Commander of Cadets).
Should the CC be apprised of activities or is that the DCC's job to report those beyond what the activities officer reports?
See above, the CC must always approve of any activities, not just be apprised.  Nothing happens within a Squadron that the CC is not responsible for.  You can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

"That Others May Zoom"

mynetdude

Quote from: Eclipse on October 13, 2009, 05:24:35 AM
CDC? Ok now you've lost me, did they change the "DCC" to CDC? Or would someone please tell me what CDC means please?

It never changed, most people use it incorrectly.

CC = Commander
CD = Deputy Commander
CDS = Deputy Commander for Seniors
CDC = Deputy Commander For Cadets

DC = Director of Communications
DCC = Doesn't mean anything.

(Now 10 people will argue about this, however none will be able to show where DCC means Deputy Commander of Cadets).
Should the CC be apprised of activities or is that the DCC's job to report those beyond what the activities officer reports?
See above, the CC must always approve of any activities, not just be apprised.  Nothing happens within a Squadron that the CC is not responsible for.  You can delegate authority, but not responsibility.

aha, thank you for setting the record straight, somehow I've seen the term DCC used too many times... so I thank thee :)

SarDragon

Well, CAPR 20-1  says that the Activities Officer reports to the Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC) in a composite squadron, and the Deputy Commander (CD) in a cadet squadron.

From that source, the duties:

Squadron Activities Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)
Plans and conducts interesting and challenging activities for CAP cadets, to include but not limited to:
Field trips.
Participating in emergency services exercises.
Sports competitions.
Social functions.
Community betterment projects.
Aerospace education activities (in coordination with aerospace education officer).
The squadron activities officer should be familiar with CAP directives in the 50, 76, 160, and 900 series.

IMHO, the activities officer operates as part of the CP team, with whatever freedom the CDC or CD allows.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on October 13, 2009, 05:29:44 AM
Well, CAPR 20-1  says that the Activities Officer reports to the Deputy Commander for Cadets (CDC) in a composite squadron, and the Deputy Commander (CD) in a cadet squadron.

From that source, the duties:

Squadron Activities Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)
Plans and conducts interesting and challenging activities for CAP cadets, to include but not limited to:
Field trips.
Participating in emergency services exercises.
Sports competitions.
Social functions.
Community betterment projects.
Aerospace education activities (in coordination with aerospace education officer).
The squadron activities officer should be familiar with CAP directives in the 50, 76, 160, and 900 series.

IMHO, the activities officer operates as part of the CP team, with whatever freedom the CDC or CD allows.

Yeah I'm just not getting the full satisfaction of being the activities officer on behalf of the CDC for the cadet program as you said its part of the CP team since the CDC wants to be in control/charge of activities in that case I might as well forget I signed up/offered to do the job (like I said in my opening post an activities officer isn't entirely required/necessary in every squadron or any squadron, although in larger squadrons it would be a burden on the CDC).

flyguy06

The Activity Officer reports to the DCC. The DCC reports to the CC.
However in most squadrons thati have seen the DCC basically runs the cadet program. i havent seen a squasdron big enough to actually have a leadeship officer, activitites officer and seperate AE Officer

mynetdude

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 13, 2009, 05:45:58 AM
The Activity Officer reports to the DCC. The DCC reports to the CC.
However in most squadrons thati have seen the DCC basically runs the cadet program. i havent seen a squasdron big enough to actually have a leadeship officer, activitites officer and seperate AE Officer

I have, the squadron i came from had its own AE officer Character development officer (used to be MLO, but I guess you can classify this as leadership and our AE guy is also doing leadership as well) and this squadron has at least 25 cadets or more.

Our squadron is smaller, so it IS possible for a DCC/CDC to do it on their own, but IMHO I think it is just nice to have another person participating in the cadet programs portion running a specific job so the CDC doesn't have to do it and they can focus on the program itself even if the squadron only has 10 cadets with potential for more.

I am not complaining, I just wanted to hear everyone's experiences, I guess I will have to just give it up and do something else if that's how the CDC wants it since he asked me and I offered so not a big deal.