Best way to sew insignia is..?

Started by AvroArrow, September 26, 2009, 08:09:16 PM

AvroArrow

What are the best methods to sew insignia (particularly a C/2dLt insignia) to the BDU collar and hat?

Also, what other details may be of value? Things such as how much ultramarine should surround the insignia.

Fuzzy

Measure and Iron, then measure and Iron. Then sew it down once its correctly folded. All you should have to do is run a thread through it, not mess with alignig the edges or anything.

The proper measurement is 1/8th of an inch of blue around the white pip. For both collar and BDU cover insignia. But as an officer I would recommend looking it up in CAPM 39-1. Never know I might be wrong.

Biggest mistake I see are cadets who cut the insignia to make it 1/8 of an inch. Instead they should fold the blue and Iron it down. The alternative looks awful and it frays. The edges should be as straight as possible and they should be aligned with the bottom edge of the collar.

You can get it taken to a professional, and that might work. But only if you make it absolutely clear what the regs are. They may be good at what they do, but they don't know our standards.

If you screw up buy another set and try again. Don't just be a walking disaster until you make first lieutenant.
C/Capt Semko

AvroArrow

How should the insignia be sewn onto the cover? (Machine, sew-by-hand, etc.)
Where should the insignia be sewn on the cover? (On the visor, above a seam, etc.)

DC

1/2 inch above the brim, centered. I would recommend doing the hat by hand, I have found it to be easier. Definitely use a machine for the blouse though.

But, really, you are a Cadet Officer, you seriously need to crack open 39-1 and take a look-see. You should be able to find this information yourself. Also, while you are at it, take a look at CAPR 52-16 and 52-10.

AvroArrow

I've read the 39-1 back-to-back on many occasions. I'm using CAPTalk as a back-up to its inclarity.

An example is the cover insignia: I've seen some wear it right on the seam that's above the visor; some wear it on the visor; some wear it 1/2 inch above; and others wear it every which way.

Fuzzy

The correct way does look slightly odd. The grade centered so close to the bottom. But those are the regs.
C/Capt Semko

AvroArrow

In the past, I've heard that visible thread is a big no-no. But as I sew the insignia on my cover + blouse, I realize that the out of all my available thread, none of the shades of blue match the ultramarine or anything similar.

Is there any such thing as colorless thread? Google didn't do come up with anything.
Also, if there is no such thing or I'm unable to retrieve such an item, what's possible? The best shades I have are lighter and darker, respectively, than the ultramarine.

DC

Quote from: AvroArrow on September 28, 2009, 04:55:44 PM
In the past, I've heard that visible thread is a big no-no. But as I sew the insignia on my cover + blouse, I realize that the out of all my available thread, none of the shades of blue match the ultramarine or anything similar.

Is there any such thing as colorless thread? Google didn't do come up with anything.
Also, if there is no such thing or I'm unable to retrieve such an item, what's possible? The best shades I have are lighter and darker, respectively, than the ultramarine.
There are some clear threads available, but IMO, from experience, they're a royal pain in the [fourth point of contact] to use. It needs to be as close as possible, but it doesn't have to be exact. As long as it isn't painfully obvious that you used a different color, then you are fine. However, if you can, you might as well go to a fabric store and drop a few bucks on a spool of the right color.

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on September 28, 2009, 05:07:55 PMHowever, if you can, you might as well go to a fabric store and drop a few bucks on a spool of the right color.

I've found a good matching thread at Walmart. They've got a variety.

Ozzy

hey, I found an excellent way to make officer bdu insignia look like a professional did them.

Basically you shape the insignia before you place them. To do this, you need this thing called, I think, witch-stitch. You can buy it at Walmart for about $2. What it is, is a kind of glue tape that you can iron fabric pieces together.

Anyways you fold a side down, measure 1/8th, iron to crease it, measure again to make sure, then put some witch-stitch in, iron, and move to the next side.

Once you get all the sides down, you just take it, measure 1 inch, and sew on! One perfect collar.

I'll post a picture later of my insignia on my blouse and on my cover.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

majdomke

+1^^^^^
I use that too. Fabric mend perfect for insignia and specialty badges.