Affixing Patches to Uniforms

Started by Smoothice, September 17, 2009, 07:23:31 PM

Smoothice

My wife has this stuff at home she used on her Karate uniform...its a double sided material that when used with a hot iron, "fuses" the patch to the material...trust me, its not comming off!

Do you think it would be a good idea to use? Is there anything saying you CANT use that??

Hawk200

Sounds like Witch Stitch or a generic equivalant.

Have to check the manual, but I believe it's supposed to be sewn. You could use the fusible stuff to position it, and then sew. Be a lot easier.

Hawk200

Checking into 39-1, it doesn't really say that patches are to be sewn.

That being said, when using Witch Stitch, it doesn't hold down the edges well. If you put it under the edges, it shows around them. And it will come loose after a few washings. Wouldn't look so good then. I've seen people use it before, and it looks bad.

You'd be better off just sewing them into place. Taking shortcuts on this might not present the best appearance.

Smoothice

ah, yes, thank you. I was thinking that it would look crappy also...

Hawk200

Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 07:35:48 PM

But it can still be useful when positioning the patches. Patches can be set properly with pins, but still end up crooked after sewing. I've used the lighter weight witch stitch to position, iron it on, then sew it. The lighter weight stuff also won't be as hard to remove if you remove the patch for some reason.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 17, 2009, 08:39:32 PM
Quote from: Smoothice on September 17, 2009, 07:35:48 PM

But it can still be useful when positioning the patches. Patches can be set properly with pins, but still end up crooked after sewing. I've used the lighter weight witch stitch to position, iron it on, then sew it. The lighter weight stuff also won't be as hard to remove if you remove the patch for some reason.

+1

I affix them all in place and then sewn them down.  If you can't or don't want to sew, you can iron them all down and then hand the shirt to a tailer and say "please just sew these in place".

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

I do the same generally, though this screwed me when the reverse-field flag was mandated on BDUs for my shirts that bore a Cadet Officer School patch there.  Those ain't coming off without leaving a stitch-witch mess.  Has anyone figured out a way to clean that gunk off?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Hawk200

Quote from: Mustang on September 20, 2009, 11:03:16 AMHas anyone figured out a way to clean that gunk off?

I make no guarantees, but try running a very hot iron slowly over a thick paper towel  postioned over the leftover Witch Stitch a few times.

Sometimes, it will heat up the stuff enough that part of it will absorb into the towel. It may take a few tries, but don't just keep going at it if it doesn't work within the first few times. You may burn the uniform.

exFlight Officer

I have the same problem with my long sleeve blue shirt. I was in AFJROTC in high school and when I joined C.A.P. , I kept the shirt and took off the patch. Turned out that the AFJROTC patch left a small patch of glue-ish residue that wont come off. I will try that technique with the towel. Is that the same problem or should I try another technique for my problem?

Hill CAP

I use liquid stitch which is like a glue then I sew it down. it dries clear and if you have to take the patch off it washes out with just a washing.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues