Are You a Fat Boy/Girl

Started by Gunner C, September 15, 2009, 04:34:16 AM

Where do you fall under CAP Height/Weight Standards? SMs Only

Under the standard for my height and weight.
Above the standard for my height and weight. (Overweight)

Gunner C

There's a lot of discussion about height and weight on this board and I was wondering if we could get a non-scientific sample of the force - what percentage of the force is out of the "weight envelope". 

Personally, I'm over the weight limit.  Yeah, I'm a 50% disabled vet and can't get out and run or even walk to work off the weight.  No problem, I wear the CSU stuff, BBDUs, and those dashing blue flight suits.

How about you?  I'm just wondering what percentage of this august body is either over weight or under tall?  No need to leave a comment if you don't want to, I'm just looking for the numbers.

Flying Pig

Phil Hirons, Jr.

smj58501

Please.... for the love of Pete, lets not turn this poll into another heated debate. Its been done so many times that it is.... boring. The poll will be interesting, granted, but neither side of this issue can offer anything new so lets please keep it to the poll.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

swamprat86

I was under when I first became a SM.  Then I was over, which was why I got out of the Army.  Then 3 years ago I got back down under, although I still wear the other uniforms when I feel "fat".

dwb

Whatever uniform you wear, wear it well.  Look the part and act the part, and people won't really care how much you weigh.

ColonelJack

Sheesh ... for my first 16 years, I was WAY over the limit.  I mean 20 - 40 pounds plus over the limit, and I'm 5' 8".

Now ... I'm under the AF limit by ten pounds ... and under the CAP limit by 32.  I'm happy.

And I wear my blues with PRIDE.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

5'10", 180 lb

20 years ago, I was 5'10", 157 lb
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

addo1

6'3", Cadet, 180 pounds.... Gotta love the life!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Gunner C

Quote from: addo1 on September 15, 2009, 09:20:53 PM
I should have stipulated NO CADETS.  You're not under the Ht/Wt standards until after 18.  This is for Senior Members Only!

Sorry.

HPM_CAP

5'11" - 215 pounds
5 pounds under the limit...

Stonewall

Weighed in this weekend at my Air Guard drill weekend.

6' 2", 214 lbs.

I could lose 14 lbs, but I enjoy eating too much.  That's why I have to PT 5 days a week.  Ran 6.5 miles this week.  Its work but it's necessary.
Serving since 1987.

billford1

I'm glad my Son wanted to become a Senior Member when he turned 18. When he was 14 he was 274 pounds. He was so big but he was still allowed to wear the AF uniform as a Cadet. He wears a polo shirt now. I can't imagine what it's like for an 18 year old who wants to remain a Cadet but is told he's now too fat to have the privilege to wear the AF uniform he or she has become so used to. Was it the USAF that drove the decision to enforce the uniform weight standard on 18 year old Cadets? If the decision was made by CAP do they at least make the TPU aviator shirt uniform an option to heavy set 18 year olds? Are they required to switch to blue BDUs? This is bizarre when you see National Guard folks who are way over the limit when they deploy. I used to see really obese soldiers in the U.S. Army although they were few. The big NG guys can do their job and use their weapons. The ones I know are dependable. The whole preoccupation with weight should remove emphasis on uniform wear and reverse the stupid decision that was made when it affected Cadets.

Gunner C

I live near a NG C-5 Galaxy unit.  They have some BIG officers.  Thankfully, the C-5 has an ample cockpit.  I think it's disingenuous for the AF to expect something of us that they don't enforce on their own.  But then, it's their football.  I'm a fat guy - I don't make any bones about it.  If I'm ever physically able to do PT again, I'll certainly trim down.  It's just not going to happen otherwise.

I don't come down on other folks shaped like bowling pins, nor did I ever.  My first Special Forces detachment commander put it this way:  I don't care if our cooks and clerks are shaped by basketballs . . . I care if they can do their jobs. Heck, I had a medic who we nicknamed "Pillsbury".  But he was a great medic and a phenomenal warrior - three wars during peacetime and used to leave me behind in the dust on runs and rucksack marches.

By the looks of our survey above, there's a substantial number of us who are overweight (or undertall, depending on how you look at it).  That's just the way it is.

Airrace

According to the survey it looks  there's a substantial number of senior members that are overweight but they still manage to help out and make CAP what it is today. Thank god for all their help and I for one could care less what they weigh!

Stonewall

I think I messed up my vote.

To me, "above the standard" means exceeding it, i.e. going above and beyond.

"Below the standard" means not meeting it.

I voted "above the standard", but I am below the weight limit.  ???
Serving since 1987.

addo1

Quote from: Gunner C on September 15, 2009, 11:03:15 PM
Quote from: addo1 on September 15, 2009, 09:20:53 PM
I should have stipulated NO CADETS.  You're not under the Ht/Wt standards until after 18.  This is for Senior Members Only!

Sorry.

Haha, believe me, I know. Just had to put in my 0.02. ;)  As for ht/wt standards not being applicable for cadets, dont even get me started...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Gunner C

Quote from: Stonewall on September 16, 2009, 12:19:34 PM

Hmmm.  Let me see if I can change the question.  I don't think I can change the vote.  Hopefully, we'll get a large enough sample and it will even out.

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on September 16, 2009, 12:19:34 PM

Oh for crying out loud...its like you were in the Old Guard or something! ;D

Phillip

I meet the CAP regs for the USAF-Style uniform with "room to spare."  :D  The Air Force regs, well, I meet them too but its a bit tight.  But it's ok, I just use it as motivation to lose weight.  Win-win as far as I'm concerned.  8)
Captain